Question

Recent Spam Attacks on the Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
Our apologies everyone, the Community is currently under attack by a group of very dedicated spammers creating new accounts and posting about technical support.

We’re working with our partners to prevent this in the future and are watching to remove them as quickly as we can. We recommend not calling any of the numbers or visiting any website linked from any of these posts.

Please pardon the clutter.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

337 replies

Sonos can't provide the solution... it is up to the incompetents at Insided to fix it. Sonos can combat it though by turning off new registrations temporarily... but I have a sneaking suspicion that isn't even an option with this software.
Since there's single site sign-on, blocking new registrations here could have a knock-on effect on the ability to register new hardware products.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Personally i would prefer the community sign-on not to be the same sign-on as my Sonos account. I like those things to be separated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If Insided were remotely competent or could be bothered they would have put in place some kind of extra level of post filtering and or restrictions. The only conclusion I can come to is that they have already been told they are out of here so can't be bothered (I'm not normally so charitable but I assume Sonos wouldn't have chosen a forum software supplier that were incompetent to save a few cents).

There's actually nothing stopping them (Insided) creating an account and posting (verifying same might not be so easy though!) and explaining what they are doing to support this resolution.

And ratty it did occur that they could block all user account creation requests without hardware registered to the supplied e-mail. But that obviously has issues as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
also ironic that amongst this mess I repeatedly get my screen greying out and a survey box appear only to inform me that I already took the survey !
If I had my chance again I would be even more scathing in my survey response than I was before !
Clearly no one bothered to act on the survey results either. Maybe they too were full of spam.
At least it's offering for you to take the survey again... It is now trying to sell me the survey software by 'trying it now for free!'
At least it's offering for you to take the survey again... It is now trying to sell me the survey software by 'trying it now for free!'
Adblock Plus. Add elements en.community.sonos.com##.popup and en.community.sonos.com##.popupOverlay to the filters.
Done. Thank you. Shouldn't need to do that though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@Sonos. Curious I dont see Insided in these 'top forum' lists

http://savedelete.com/software/best-forum-software-free-and-paid/14592/
http://www.zerodollartips.com/best-forum-software-free-paid/
http://www.quertime.com/article/15-best-online-forum-platforms-software-free-and-paid/

please try one of the others. Im sure any of them would do a better job.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
XenForo would get my vote. One of the best tech forums, MacRumors, uses this platform. Some of the Sonos staff might want to take a look:
http://forums.macrumors.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
AVforums (UK) also use Xenforo. It works really well . Not something I can say about this one !
German community is under attack at the moment! Nearly 170 SPAM entries in the last 2 hours!! Frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
German community is under attack at the moment! Nearly 170 SPAM entries in the last 2 hours!! Frustrating

Thanks, we got it cleaned up and will keep watch on it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks, we got it cleaned up and will keep watch on it.

And that's it? Nothing else to report?
Hello Ryan,

...many thanx for cleaning that up!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Believe me, we're as frustrated as you are and as soon as this can be sorted, we'll have it addressed. We're working with InSided on several potential solutions right now, both short term and long term. We're also working on a few things on our end as well to help too. All the right people here know about the situation and are working to address it.

At the moment, the moderation staff doing what we can to keep the community clean and that includes the team logging in during off hours, weekends, and whenever else they can to clear out any spam that's come in.

I know it's upsetting, especially at the times of the day when we don't have as many people available to handle the situation, but please bear with us while we work on it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Believe me, we're as frustrated as you are and as soon as this can be sorted, we'll have it addressed. We're working with InSided on several potential solutions right now, both short term and long term. We're also working on a few things on our end as well to help too. All the right people here know about the situation and are working to address it.

At the moment, the moderation staff doing what we can to keep the community clean and that includes the team logging in during off hours, weekends, and whenever else they can to clear out any spam that's come in.

I know it's upsetting, especially at the times of the day when we don't have as many people available to handle the situation, but please bear with us while we work on it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but you were working on potential solutions 6 days ago, and at this rate you'll still be working on potential solutions this time next week.
Insided isn't being truthful with you, Ryan. The truth is they can't handle it. Takes minutes to write code, minutes to test, and minutes to enable. Giving them the benefit of the doubt on each count up to several hours. Hell... how about a day on each count to be sure? Two weeks in and nothing but broken links on iDevices and overworked employees coming in after hours to delete spam that should be checked at the gate anyway. An experienced company with a quality product would have had this patched already.
So the thread title has changed from "Recent Spam Attacks - We're on it". At least there's an acknowledgement that InSided simply isn't.

In terms of expected board features this platform has IMO since inception been less than fit for purpose. The inability to counter this attack -- other than by throwing the bodies of Ryan and his valiant chums at it for two weeks -- only reinforces that impression.

Ryan, there should be no shooting of the messenger here, but if you and your colleagues can't rattle the cages with the powers-that-be over this lamentable choice of software who can?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
It wasn't me..!
Some humor from InSided's marketing blurbs. Regarding their "Reward Management" feature (the silly badges):

Increase community participation and engagement with "gamification". Lol.

gam·i·fi·ca·tion
ˌɡāmifəˈkāSHən/
noun
noun: gamification
the application of typical elements of game playing (e.g., point scoring, competition with others, rules of play) to other areas of activity, typically as an online marketing technique to encourage engagement with a product or service.
"gamification is exciting because it promises to make the hard stuff in life fun"
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, there should be no shooting of the messenger here, but if you and your colleagues can't rattle the cages with the powers-that-be over this lamentable choice of software who can?

The team and I appreciate the support, in this situation the right people know already.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
In terms of expected board features this platform has IMO since inception been less than fit for purpose. The inability to counter this attack -- other than by throwing the bodies of Ryan and his valiant chums at it for two weeks -- only reinforces that impression.

Yes, exactly!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
It should only take a few days to fix this. It will take longer to replace the forum provider. It's been 13 days...

It's been 13 months for Audible...
Interesting thread on the TomTom forum, also powered by InSided. Spam was stopped by InSided writing a filter, apparently.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/forum-spam-983137

"InSided is currently implementing a filter to help us defend against spam. We're also looking into implementing some more security measures to the account creation process to prevent spammers from creating new accounts. You should be seeing result soon in reduced spam!"