Question

Recent Spam Attacks on the Community

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

337 replies

But the situation does have a lot of attention internally here and at InSided. We'll continue to clean up the spam as quickly as we can and we'll keep working on roadblocks to put in their way.
It is obvious that for unfathomable reasons, InSided has a fan following inside Sonos, but surely someone ought to be thinking and asking why this is a more challenging subject for you that it was for unpaid moderators in the old Sonos Forum?

It is obvious that for unfathomable reasons, InSided has a fan following inside Sonos, but surely someone ought to be thinking and asking why this is a more challenging subject for you that it was for unpaid moderators in the old Sonos Forum?

Not a moderation issue, it's purely the fault of InSided's software lacking basic features that every other forum software in existence has had for years. This was painfully evident from the day of the switchover, and loudly critiqued, to no avail. I frequent many hobbyist forums; not a single one, mostly using Xenforo, has an issue with spam.
I am not familiar with the back end of these platforms; but I suspect that the earlier platform had a more effective set of tools to deal with spam, that allowed the then moderators to in turn keep it to a minimum without being janitors.
I am not familiar with the back end of these platforms; but I suspect that the earlier platform had a more effective set of tools to deal with spam, that allowed the then moderators to in turn keep it to a minimum without being janitors.
The vBulletin platform had an auto-moderator, which hid posts away from general view if it detected something fishy. Its judgement was based on a user's post count and analysis of the content. Sometimes bad posts would slip through, and sometimes it was over-zealous with the pure of heart. We'd generally pull false positives out of moderation within a few hours.

The user mods could ban (and sometimes did so pre-emptively in bulk) but had no ability to block IP ranges. For that we would request Sonos admin action.

BTW this is not a purpose-built forum platform, it's for "community engagement". 😉
I frequent many hobbyist forums; not a single one, mostly using Xenforo, has an issue with spam.

Exactly... On all other forums, it's very unusual indeed to see any spam at all, and in the rare case that some slips through then it's stopped in its tracks very quickly.

However, that depends largely of the capabilities of the software, and it sounds like Sonos chose form over function.
A lot of the forums also force the new user's first three or four or whatever number they choose posts to be reviewed before they are made public. Elementary right there.
A lot of the forums also force the new user's first three or four or whatever number they choose posts to be reviewed before they are made public. Elementary right there.
The vBulletin auto-mod was rather cleverer than that. If a new user's early posts looked benign it would allow them through.
Badge +1
You seem all sleeping, and they did it again: the "Ask a question" forum is virtually useless.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You seem all sleeping, and they did it again: the "Ask a question" forum is virtually useless.
Hi Pheed, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I have cleared the spam.
Janitor call again! This is beyond ridiculous.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
"CLEANER REQUIRED IN AISLE 2"
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So it is apparent that all that is being done is to delete the Spam as it arrives. Clearly there have been no preventative measures applied and every day brings a new batch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Completely unacceptable performance form the forum software providers.

This morning the entire forum is over run with Spam - the people deleting it have given up - I'm not surprised - those providing the tools to stop the Spam and/or remove it have singularly, clearly and abysmally failed to even make a noticeable difference over more than a couple of days.

The other things is - It is ALWAYS overnight US time (ie daytime for the rest of the world) - This just re-enforces our feeling that the Americans couldn't give a STUFF about us foreigners!. Make the forum OK for US but let those others suck it up.
Pretty sure the forum software and the mods are all from Europe... that's the impression I get anyway. Once they go to bed, that's it til the next morning. They need to appoint deputies here in the states and abroad for the overnight hours. Or better yet, find a software product that actually works.
Pretty sure the forum software and the mods are all from Europe... that's the impression I get anyway. Once they go to bed, that's it til the next morning. They need to appoint deputies here in the states and abroad for the overnight hours.
Ryan S and others are in Santa Barbara.
This just re-enforces our feeling that the Americans couldn't give a STUFF about us foreigners!..
LOL....see the BCM post after yours for why.

The real situation is the Sonos couldn't give a STUFF about this community.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This just re-enforces our feeling that the Americans couldn't give a STUFF about us foreigners!..
LOL....see the BCM post after yours for why.

They recently told us they were moving to a more on-line based support system. Presumably that will mean live chat and the like. If they can't keep spam off the main forum people aren't going to trust the portal for support issues.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Based on what's been happening in this community/forum over the last few months I tend to agree.
Can't get to the last page now. Yay.
Ah. There it is. Only way to get it to display is by posting something on one of the other pages.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Seriously, I just log on and the first page is full of spam. When are you going to dump the forum software?
This really has got beyond a joke - what sort of companies allow this to continue?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
What Sonos seem incapable of grasping is that this forum isn't hidden away in some dark corner of the Internet. It's part of the main Sonos site, part of their shop window. I dread to think what impression this leaves in the mind of a first-time visitor.
I'm sure that many of us here have been using internet forums of all different types for many years - I have never seen one in this state before. A number of people here expressed concerns about the new forum software, but I doubt that even the most pessimistic imagined that it could possibly be this bad.
What Sonos seem incapable of grasping is that this forum isn't hidden away in some dark corner of the Internet. It's part of the main Sonos site, part of their shop window. I dread to think what impression this leaves in the mind of a first-time visitor.
I agree.
Sonos = ostrich with the head buried in the sand, ass exposed to the world. All the way up to the President, because he is also in blissful ignorance. I know, from an email he sent me.