Question

Recent Spam Attacks on the Community

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

337 replies

why does my music on my iPhone work my no stations work?
why does my music on my iPhone work my no stations work?
I'm taking this to one of your other threads, to avoid increasing the clutter here.
This is beginning to get a bit tiresome. With the much vaunted InSided 'partnership', is it not possible to simply detect a regexp match with a phone number and block the post? Or alternatively automate the clean-ups on a similar basis?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
We're on it? Seriously...
Think that meant on break. Page one is completely loaded again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This site is now almost unuseable, mega attacks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Close down the forum temporarily until this issue is fixed. Leave a holding page in place to explain the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Close down the forum temporarily until this issue is fixed. Leave a holding page in place to explain the issue.

We're trying hard not to do just that. The attacks come in bursts, but it seems that they "work" from about 8am - 6pm PST. We're working on a number of options to prevent needing to lock signups.

From the whole team, our apologies for the mess and please bear with as while we sweep as fast as possible.

From the whole team, our apologies for the mess and please bear with as while we sweep as fast as possible.

Which wouldn't be a problem if you just lock off new signups... Then you can sort it out, and plan your defence, at your leisure...
I know the 'only a few lines of code' line is hackneyed, but if the effectiveness of the spam campaign is predicated on getting phone-number-bearing posts into search engines I really don't see why the platform couldn't be kludged to identify such posts and throttle them at birth.
This should give Sonos some insight into the pathetic quality of this software. This has been going on for a week and nothing seems to have been accomplished. As such, its been over a year for the simple feature of adding the text of a subscribed thread to an email notification. Insided is a poor testament to the quality of service Sonos likes to convey.

Do you really get that many new signups that you can't turn off registrations until this is resolved? The board has become unusable. New legit users will love what they see.
I know the 'only a few lines of code' line is hackneyed, but if the effectiveness of the spam campaign is predicated on getting phone-number-bearing posts into search engines I really don't see why the platform couldn't be kludged to identify such posts and throttle them at birth.

They do try to disguise the phone number using different patterns, but a simple regex could easily find them. I have some doubt that this pathetic InSided software is capable of even a simple regex filter, though, lol.
vBulletin is. Have used it for my company. Unfortunately, they chose insided for some reason.
Three other places I visit use vBulletin. Zero spam, in the time I have been there - about 7 years. Either the software or moderator quality is the cause - all I know is that the user experience has remained consistently good. Yes, the badges and other jazz are missing, which in my book, is a plus point.

Sonos has been remarkable obtuse for over a year in this. I hope this poor judgement isn't contagious within the company.
it seems that they "work" from about 8am - 6pm PST.
And some. 8am CEST. They just started.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
And some. 8am CEST. They just started.

Thanks for taking note ratty. I just removed them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
One thing that could be done now is to limit the time between Starting New Topics - Could be say for posters with a post count < 100 they must wait 20 minutes between posts.

Currently these new spam users are able to post a new thread every 2 minutes.

And frankly Sonos/Board software providers seem unable to keep up with that so need help.

By the way - I noted a thread that was started yesterday in "Ask a Question" that wasn't spam and was deleted.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
...and the spammers are back in force.
I agree; I have never seen anything like this. The Sonos CEO is probably still in the dark about this extremely disappointing performance by Sonos management and the chosen vendor. Time to shut down the site because leaving it in this state may now be doing more harm than good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Seriously UN-impressed with this now.
Four pages of garbage now. Looks like the staff gave up trying to keep up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Four pages of garbage now. Looks like the staff gave up trying to keep up.

We're definitely not giving up. Sadly, 4 pages of spam can happen in 5 minutes of someone not actively on things. But we'll be along to clean it up as soon as we can if it happens to build up. We're working on a bunch of solutions right now, and trust me, we're pushing to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Also, if you happen to think there's a thread that was deleted in error please let us know immediately. You can private message me or anyone on the team or post here. Any details about the thread would be good and we'll find it and bring it back.
Put all posts from new users in moderation queue, don't allow any additional posts from that user until out of moderation.

Put in place a very, very basic spam filter that looks for any sequence of characters with 11 digits inside, starting with 1 and 8.

ANY decent forum software has these things built in, and should take an hour or two, at most, to turn on. InSided has got to be the least competently written piece of forum software in existence if it can't do these basic things. A look at their slick marketing shows that yes, they offer much more than a forum, which no doubt played into Sonos choosing them, but boy howdy, I'd be hopping mad at them if I were the guy who made the decision to go with them!
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
This is out of control. I, like many others, have never liked this forum software. Please consider changing. Soon!
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Almost two weeks and still no sign of a solution. Shambolic.