Question

Recent Spam Attacks on the Community

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

337 replies

Can you automatically change all phone numbers (or a range) to 555-5555 or similar before new posts are displayed? That breaks the business model. Just have to figure out how to let the spammers (or their workers) know this is happening. There should be no reason for legitimate users to post phone numbers.

Cheers, Peter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They've been really great partners and have even been jumping on to help us delete spam too. This sort of attack could happen on any platform as it doesn't appear to be bot based. We'll see what they come up with.

They might be great partners dealing with spam but I really would suggest looking at a better community/forum platform because this one is really lousy, as has been highlighted many many times already. The old one might have looked ugly but at least it worked well !
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Are they getting inside threads now? that's a new one?
https://en.community.sonos.com/nederlands-sonos-forum-229095/playstation-slim-6740322
https://en.community.sonos.com/nederlands-sonos-forum-229095/playstation-slim-6740322

Have you tried translating it? Looks totally innocuous.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
It has already been deleted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

There was a spam post in there, I probably deleted it before you got there.
There was a spam post in there, I probably deleted it before you got there.
Ah, okay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We're reading every post that's made right now, but if you happen to see an older one that got missed please feel free to post it here or just flag it. We'll jump on it ASAP.
This site is getting to be unusable.
And with many spams over 2 hours old, the title of this thread makes a false claim of Sonos being on it. Until a tech solution is found, all it takes is one person dedicated to this cleaning effort in shifts, 24/7. Peanuts in costs, for a billion dollar company, to do that to keep its home clean.
And with many spams over 2 hours old
7 hours old at the time of writing. Pages and pages of them, though I think Hilversum is now on the case as they appear to be evaporating fast.
Cleaned up just now, but it was full of spam for over 6 hours - that is 25% of a day. Does the fact that it is a time when most in the US are sleeping make it a less important part of the day?
I guess Sonos don't have a Far Eastern outpost that's the equivalent of Hilversum or Santa Barbara. When both of those cats are away the mice must be free to play.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
And with many spams over 2 hours old
7 hours old at the time of writing. Pages and pages of them, though I think Hilversum is now on the case as they appear to be evaporating fast.

Correct ratty, I'm on it right now.

Cleaned up just now, but it was full of spam for over 6 hours - that is 25% of a day. Does the fact that it is a time when most in the US are sleeping make it a less important part of the day?

No, we know it's important to have the community working correctly at all times. To your point, we're working on a program to add more Sonos employees to all social platforms including the community. Here's the thread about it: Some changes coming from Care...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Maybe it is an idea to prevent new forum members from posting for 1 day after creating their account? That would make it a lot more hassle for the spammers.
Or turn off new registrations for now. Assuming this software doesn't block IPs?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Or turn off new registrations for now. Assuming this software doesn't block IPs?

It does, but they are switching out different IPs pretty regularly.

Maybe it is an idea to prevent new forum members from posting for 1 day after creating their account? That would make it a lot more hassle for the spammers.

We've talked about some solutions around that for sure. It's tricky because we also don't want to make everyone have to jump through hoops just to ask us a question in our efforts to fight spammers.
I guess as it's the weekend we've got 60+ hours of it now? Entire first page of recent topics is spam bar one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I guess as it's the weekend we've got 60+ hours of it now? Entire first page of recent topics is spam bar one.

We'll be logging in to delete spam over the weekend and evenings too. Hopefully it isn't too bad, but we won't have full 24hour coverage. We're doing what we can while solutions are going into place.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
...and the spammers are back.
My music stations do not play but my Sonos works with music pulled from my iPhone. What happening this morning? I also can get Sonos updates nor can I add new stations
My music stations do not play but my Sonos works with music pulled from my iPhone. What happening this morning? I also can get Sonos updates nor can I add new stations
You already said that, twice, elsewhere. Now you're spamming this very thread.
No ratty! I am simply connecting the issue with the above regarding Spam attacks.
No ratty! I am simply connecting the issue with the above regarding Spam attacks.
Off-topic. This thread is about a relentless spam attack on the community board. You have a local network issue. Restart your systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Why? They are completely unrelated.

Well actually that's not true. The Spam attacks are incredibly annoying and so are.........