Question

Recent Spam Attacks on the Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11627 replies
Our apologies everyone, the Community is currently under attack by a group of very dedicated spammers creating new accounts and posting about technical support.

We’re working with our partners to prevent this in the future and are watching to remove them as quickly as we can. We recommend not calling any of the numbers or visiting any website linked from any of these posts.

Please pardon the clutter.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

337 replies

Do you have any idea who is behind this - not Russia surely:-). Seriously though, why would anyone but the competition want to attack a site like this one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Do you have any idea who is behind this - not Russia surely:-). Seriously though, why would anyone but the competition want to attack a site like this one?

We aren't quite at the investigating motives stage at the moment., just focusing on preventing and cleaning.
They're back....
I find it fascinating. I'm assuming they make money by people calling those numbers that they're spamming, but seriously, who would call a support number for some random piece of software that they found on a bulletin board for Sonos (or any other board that wasn't dedicated to the software that they need support for)?

Plus the random formatting that they do....I wouldn't place a call to them just based on that! 🙂
I think it was Anonymous who just want the classic functionality of the 'classic' queue to be restored. Power to the people
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I find it fascinating. I'm assuming they make money by people calling those numbers that they're spamming, but seriously, who would call a support number for some random piece of software that they found on a bulletin board for Sonos (or any other board that wasn't dedicated to the software that they need support for)?

Plus the random formatting that they do....I wouldn't place a call to them just based on that! :)

Yeah, it's very obvious spam and we really hope no one tries to call them. It seems like they're using regular search terms so that people off of Google or other search engines will find those threads and potentially call. We'll keep on sweeping and hopefully one of the back end solutions that are being worked on will help fix it. Again, our apologies for the spam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Ryan

I think Sonos needs to up their game on this. In the Ask a Question forum user jummybhaii first posted a spam post 32 minutes ago and has since posted 14 posts up to 8 minutes ago.

So this poster has had nearly half an hour to post. Really I think with these attacks on-going 10 minutes should be the longest you are letting these get through.

Edit: Oh and he's posted another one

Why don't you engage a 24 hr a day tech firm to police it for you for a week?
Yeah seems it's only the US staff policing it, which obviously gives the spammers a good twelve hour window to play with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah seems it's only the US staff policing it, which obviously gives the spammers a good twelve hour window to play with.

Agreed

Title of the thread needs changing. "Recent Spam Attacks - We're still asleep on the job"

There at least 5 Sonos staff recently active - Come on guys and girls!

"
I haven't seen much of this on other forums where I am a regular - why is this one more vulnerable?
Because the Insided software is crap?
I haven't seen much of this on other forums where I am a regular - why is this one more vulnerable?
Perhaps because this was essentially based on wheel reinvention compared to the established forum platforms?
I had suspected this because I don't remember this extent of spam on the older forum...so what you want to say perhaps is imperfect wheel reinvention?
The imperfections are legion, as has been documented elsewhere in excruciating detail from day one.
If one of these is a much higher vulnerability to spammers, for this reason alone Sonos leadership should be taking another look at the platform. It has to be very embarrassing to a billion dollar corporation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Never mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Let hope they are not clever enough to get into the sonos servers, that could be fun for us all.......
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We have teams policing things in the US and out of Hilversum. The InSided team is helping out too. If you do a search online for the phone number that gets posted you'll see a lot of cached results from some big company forums out there, that's probably a big reason they're spamming here. But that's just me speculating.

It's a manual attack, not bots. Believe me, the second we can fix this we will, and we've got several avenues going right now to do that.
The MTBMW (mean time between mole whacking) seems to be down to a few minutes at the moment.
Believe me, the second we can fix this we will, and we've got several avenues going right now to do that.

Hopefully going to a better forum software than InSided is on this list of avenues, lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Believe me, the second we can fix this we will, and we've got several avenues going right now to do that.

Hopefully going to a better forum software than InSided is on this list of avenues, lol.

They've been really great partners and have even been jumping on to help us delete spam too. This sort of attack could happen on any platform as it doesn't appear to be bot based. We'll see what they come up with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What do the spammers get devoting resources to this. Your obviously deleting... is it they hope it gets picked up by a search engine in the interim. Do they just get paid per spam and don't care if you delete?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
What do the spammers get devoting resources to this. Your obviously deleting... is it they hope it gets picked up by a search engine in the interim. Do they just get paid per spam and don't care if you delete?

Good question. I think it's multiple things, but to potentially get picked up by a search engine is one part. I'd assume the people actually doing the spamming are just getting paid by the post though. They may not even know what they're posting or the point.
What they are trying to do is get someone to call those numbers after a Google search. Then the scam starts. They either tell you your computer is rank with viruses, or they ask for control of your computer in order to "fix" what you called for and then plant viruses. Then they ask you to pay big bucks for the fix. In the end, they are after your credit card digits, either to charge for their "service" or less savory reasons. One call per thousands of spams is all they need.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
What they are trying to do is get someone to call those numbers after a Google search. Then the scam starts. They either tell you your computer is rank with viruses, or they ask for control of your computer in order to "fix" what you called for and then plant viruses. Then they ask you to pay big bucks for the fix. In the end, they are after your credit card digits, either to charge for their "service" or less savory reasons. One call per thousands of spams is all they need.

That's what I was thinking too. There was a scam a while back where if you called in, they'd offer to remote desktop or have you install some software which would lock all your files and you'd be blackmailed to pay them or they wouldn't decrypt the files.