Pandora Stream Limit Change with Sonos 7.2 Update

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 394 replies
In the recent release of Sonos version 7.2, users will find that Pandora stream limits have decreased. Before the update, the timeout period was capped at eight hours, meaning that after eight hours of continuous play, the music stream would stop. The timeout period has been reduced to four hours to match how Pandora streams on other devices. This decision was a collaborative effort with both Sonos and Pandora teams to ensure we stay aligned with one another and offer the same experience across the board.

We understand this may interrupt your music listening routine, so here’s a tip on how to keep the music going. Within the Sonos app, program a few Sonos Alarms using Pandora stations and set them to go off four hours apart from one another. This way when one stream ends, another stream will begin.

6 replies

Badge
So, shouldn't the timeout follow the standard process outlined by Pandora? That is, if I interact with Pandora (thumbs up/down, change station etc.), the timeout period should be reset or extended. It appears that there is a strict 4 hour timeout regardless of whether interactions are made within the period.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Deinonych wrote:

So, shouldn't the timeout follow the standard process outlined by Pandora? That is, if I interact with Pandora (thumbs up/down, change station etc.), the timeout period should be reset or extended. It appears that there is a strict 4 hour timeout regardless of whether interactions are made within the period.

Applying the thumbs down rating, skipping a track, and starting a new station will reset the four hour counter; however, applying the thumbs up rating will not.
Badge
Got it. Thanks for clarifying!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
And the reasoning behind that is likely because the thumbs-down prompts skipping to the next track, while thumbs-up keeps playing the track. Obviously Pandora can reset the timer in their own app, even with a thumbs-up, but the way Sonos is communicating with Pandora may prevent that from working the same way.
I have Pandora Premium (via Apple AppStore) which doesn't time out on other devices. Is there a way to keep the music playing for more than 4 hours through Sonos other than the alarm work around?
@SteveAsh Im pretty sure I read that, at least for now, Pandora Premium services are only available via mobile devices and not streaming devices like the Sonos line of products.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)