'On this iPhone or iPad' No Longer Available

Related products: Software News

Starting today, the ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app. There are still many ways to play your locally saved music library to Sonos and control it from your iOS device, including some good free options.

We first launched ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ in 2012 as an option to play locally saved content from your iOS device before Apple AirPlay was available on Sonos. The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS and Sonos.

The best way to play the music stored on your phone to Sonos is now by using Apple AirPlay 2 on compatible Sonos speakers (Sonos One, Amp, Beam, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, and SYMFONISK WiFi Speakers). Using AirPlay 2, you can send the audio to one of these products and use the Sonos app to group it with any other Sonos rooms to have them all playing in sync. You can find more information about using AirPlay 2 with Sonos here.

For people who don’t have AirPlay 2 capable Sonos products, additional options to play tracks that are stored on your phone to Sonos include:

1. Uploading your tracks to a music service with a storage feature, such as Apple Music or Google Play Music. These services will store your library and allow you to stream it anywhere. This is a great option if you have songs that aren’t available on a subscription based streaming service. Also, Google Play Music has a free account option that allows you to upload 50,000 tracks and play them which works with Sonos.
  2. Setting up a Music Library share on a Computer or Network Attached Storage drive. You’d need to have the computer or local drive available when you want to play music, but your library would be easy to transfer to these devices, if it isn’t already on them.
  3. Streaming the catalog from a music service. There are more than 100 music services available on Sonos, many with several millions of songs.
  4. Android mobile devices will continue to have access to the ‘On this device’ feature. If you have an Android phone or tablet, ‘Playing music stored on your Android device’ to Sonos is a great option.
  5. If you have a Sonos Play:5, Connect, Connect:Amp, or Amp, you'll have a Sonos player with a Line-In connection. Using that Line-In, you can play music directly from any device connected to it, to any player around the house. You could even look into connecting a Bluetooth or AirPlay receiving device to that line in to use your mobile device without needing to wire it in to the line-in. See more about 'Using the Line-In on Sonos' here.

With the first three options, your phone doesn’t need to be turned on to listen to your music, and the music will keep on playing even if your phone is off or leaves the house. There are also alarm and Sonos playlist features that are available for most music sources that aren't available from 'On this iPhone'.

More about how to ‘Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch’ is on our support pages.

We'll continue to support everyone through this change, and will help them set up the necessary workarounds to keep listening to their favorite tracks on Sonos.

I understand the nature of Sonos speakers, but don’t have an interest a networked audio system. 

As is your right,.  Nothing wrong with that.  Now you may struggle to grasp this, but I did want a multiroom networked audio system, and never play music from my phone.  And I wanted surround sound for my TV too.  So I was forced to settle for Sonos.

What is your view on the automobile market?  Ferraris should be more like pick-up trucks so that everybody can go off-road?

Blast! I’m treating this like it’s worth it again, having said it wasn’t.  I’m out now, however ludicrous your next contribution is.

This entire thread has felt like I asked a bunch of Magic Card playing Incels about Women.

Most of you don’t comprehend the question, but yet still act as if you’re superior. 

Good luck with that! I hope your Mom comes down to the basement with Hot Pockets soon!

Just so you know, Sonos speakers don’t play AM/FM stations, 8 tracks, or cassettes.  The portable speakers don’t take D batteries.  The horror. 

Hey Sonos admins, why don’t you just lock this thread? It often seems to be misused for general rants, usually by confused noobs, unrelated to the original issue, and its not like the original issue is ever going to change.

Hi all, This topic has run its course. I've edited or deleted some recent posts to clean up some of the less nice comments, and the topic will now be locked for further discussion. Please have a good read through our terms and conditions for use of this site, which you can find here: https://en.community.sonos.com/site/terms - in particular pay attention to the "Stay courteous" section which states: "Everyone wants to have a positive experience on The Sonos Community - so make sure that you are not detracting from anyone else's experience."
Have a great day, all!
Sotiris.