Service News

Now reading, Libby by OverDrive

Now reading, Libby by OverDrive
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies

Now available world-wide on Sonos, Libby by OverDrive brings access to tens of thousands of titles from public libraries to your home. Libby seamlessly connects readers with the popular digital collections of libraries on nearly any device. Readers may browse the library's digital collection, instantly borrow titles and start reading or listening for free with a valid library card.

Check out audiobooks, learn a new language, or keep the family entertained with a good story by with your library’s digital collection.

To get access to your library’s digital library, install Libby by OverDrive app and set up your account with your library card. Find out more about getting started with Libby here and on our article on Libby and Sonos

Already have a Libby account set up, add it to Sonos by going to Settings > Services & Voice and add Libby by OverDrive. You’ll see all of your audiobooks on your Loans Shelf in the Sonos app after it’s set up. Your progress will sync with the Libby app, so you can easily keep your place across devices.  

10 replies

This is great but is it possible to "bookmark" an audiobook read on Libby through Sonos? No matter how far I get through the book, if I stop it always seems to go back to the start of disc 1 next time I play it. 

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Playback should keep track of where you were in the story, so if you listen on Sonos the track timing should carry over to start again on another device. I’ll have the team look into it, but the integration is still pretty new so some things may be being worked on.

I’m having the same issue with syncing. It always goes back to the beginning when I start it back up later. 

Would like to echo that Libby is not syncing through Sonos any updates since last reply is a month old?

Playback should keep track of where you were in the story, so if you listen on Sonos the track timing should carry over to start again on another device. I’ll have the team look into it, but the integration is still pretty new so some things may be being worked on.

Unfortunately, the “being worked on” would be by the Libby folks, not the Sonos folks. Your best bet would be to ask the folks from Libby when they’ll finish the integration. 

Unfortunately, the “being worked on” would be by the Libby folks, not the Sonos folks. Your best bet would be to ask the folks from Libby when they’ll finish the integration. 

The Libby support website says any issues to contact the Sonos support

This no longer works. Please fix. I was going to but more speakers to listen to my library books in more rooms but now I am going to have to buy Bluetooth speakers instead.

Have you contacted Libby? All Sonos does, effectively, is point the player to a server at Libby. They don’t actually do anything to the stream except play it. 

Have you contacted Libby? All Sonos does, effectively, is point the player to a server at Libby. They don’t actually do anything to the stream except play it. 

Have contacted Libby, they said to reauthorize and should work. If issue persists contact Sonos.

Libby syncs across multiple devices perfectly, this is a Sonos issue

If you manually place a bookmark in the Libby app, Sonos picks that up and plays from the book mark, there must be an issue with Sonos understanding it has played a segment and communicating that with Libby.

Would love to use this. Right now I just have a Bluetooth audio receiver plugged into a LineIn, and play my library audiobooks to that.

Escope101 makes a reasonable argument that this is indeed a Sonos issue.