Now Available, the New Sonos App

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies

Sonos version 8.0 is introducing a brand new controller for iOS and Android. The new Sonos app makes it even easier to navigate, access, and control your music throughout your home. This new app comes side by side with voice control through Alexa devices, more about that here.

Check out our blog for the Remastered Sonos App. Full details on the new apps can be found here on their respective product guide pages. Let’s take a look at the new app:

Introducing Navigation with Tabs:

The Sonos app now has five tabs visible at the bottom when not in the full playing screen. The tabs are My Sonos, Browse, Rooms, Search, and More. See here:

Now your most used options are available with just one click, and Now Playing is always just one tap away.

My Sonos
We’ve consolidated all your personally curated Sonos Playlists, music service playlists, and Sonos Favorites into one, easy to use page on the Sonos app. You can edit fields to move around the order, or delete them entirely. You can now have up to 40 favorites total, up from 32.

Browse
Browsing your music is even easier as it no longer hides your other options. You can browse and move to different rooms all while keeping your place in the browsing menu. There’s also a dock on the bottom of the app that gives you easy access to the navigation tabs. You can swipe it up to reveal it at any time, then back down. We’ve separated browsing your music and the menu for Settings, so it’s even easier to find what you’re looking for.

Rooms
The menu starts highlighted on the active room, featured right on the app so that it’s even easier to see what’s playing in each room. There’s now an icon on that screen to show you where the music is coming from too. That includes if it was started by Alexa. The active room has a Group button to have it add others to the party.

Search
It hasn’t changed, just moved to an easy to find spot.

More...
All the settings and options are in here. You can add services, make alarms, get some help, and access all your settings. We think this will make it a lot easier to find what you’re looking for. And speaking of settings…

Explicit Language Filtering

Within Settings > Parental Controls, you can set a system-wide setting to filter songs with explicit content. Right now, this is working for Apple Music, and we’re hoping to add it for more services soon. Once the setting is on, Apple Music songs with the explicit tag will no longer play on your system.

Long Press to Group

Making it even easier to play music. With 8.0, you can press and hold the Play/Pause button (or mute on older players) to have your player join the most recently active player as a group. First, you have to start playing music on a player, (it can be from an alarm or any other source), and then just hold the button for a few seconds on another player. That second player will join the first one’s group and start playing the same music in sync.

There's another function of the long press, and that's being able to move recently stopped music to another room. First, stop playing music in any of your rooms. Then, press and hold the play/pause on another player for a few seconds. (Make sure that you don't start playing music anywhere else.) The queue or source will move to the unit you held the button for and start playing. The players won't group together and any existing queue will get whiped out in place of the new one.

iOS 11 and Android O Support

Lastly, version 8.0 has support for the latest operating systems from Android and iOS. This includes iOS 11 support for Trueplay on Sonos. Trueplay isn’t available on Android at this time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

530 replies

Hi Ryan, glad to call you about this. How do I contact you?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact/contact-options%23
Hi Ryan, glad to call you about this. How do I contact you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Im still having trouble with Sonos sound going missing on the tv. Seems channel 90 always works but others drop in and out. Performed latest update but still happening. Any ideas?
I'd suggest that you give us a call and we'll take a look with you live. This could be a format issue, or maybe just something in the settings to sort out.
Im still having trouble with Sonos sound going missing on the tv. Seems channel 90 always works but others drop in and out. Performed latest update but still happening. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You guys beat me to the punch. 8.3 is now available. For details, take a look here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
8.3 is out.
I would predict they would want to release the a controller update next Tuesday 1/24 to get it in the month.

Oh No, my now playing screen has gone dark 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not to say a new interface version of Sonos not coming out. As we have predicted January release of tweaks to the controller interface ... .and fact Sonos likes Tuesdays ... .I would predict they would want to release the a controller update next Tuesday 1/24 to get it in the month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Universal Remote Control

I have no idea what any upcoming updates would have to do with that. Sounds like their products can show status of Sonos unit with a 2-way module and some upcoming SDK changes effect that integration.

I assume this has to do with SDK side and a lot of things happening like Airplay2. Has nothing to do with the Sonos controller itself but integration with other devices.

We have seen other SDK changes break compatibility with other home automation solutions that take time to resolve. Looks like URC users are in for one of those issues.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
URC is Universal Remote Control, a company that makes programmable remote controls designed to operate a host of products, one of which is Sonos. The email informs URC product dealers that some of their installations will "break" as a result of the Sonos update and likely require both new hardware and/or programming changes to some of the products they have installed for their customers. These are the unintended and unavoidable consequences of product updates and URC makes some of the few products out there that attempt to integrate Sonos control into their devices, which is no easy task.
Obviously it is not without risk.
Would you be willing to share what URC means?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I just received an email with this information, which may pertain to this discussion:
"SONOS LAUNCHES MAJOR PLATFORM UPDATE
To URC Dealers:
As you may have heard, Sonos plans to release a major update to their platform in order to make their system more scalable and sustainable. This update will limit the usability of the existing URC two-way module. The Sonos update is slated for release at the end of January 2018."

I have no idea the scope of the "major platform update" but hopefully Sonos will have been listening to the legions of long-time users and will have addressed/fixed the many issues they created that have been discussed at length in this thread.
I guess time will tell.
thank you so much sonos a parents dream with the filter. your hard work is really 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi all,
Apologies for calling it the wrong name. Yes - SonoPad. My bad.
Sadly, no Android equivalent.
Cheers,
Geoff
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When will Sonos be available for Alexa in Canada.
We're working with Alexa to get it working with Sonos in Canada early this year. We haven't shared a specific date yet, but as soon as we can share more we'll be posting it on the community and elsewhere.
When will Sonos be available for Alexa in Canada.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I think the trouble is Guy that the Voice Control elements were built into version 8 along with the UI changes. So falling back to previous UI, or something similar, would be far harder than if just the one major change had happened.

We will never get a firm date as that is not how Sonos operates (or most companies), although there was an exception when they gave a date for Spotify voice control.

If only they had just integrated Voice Control, and left the UI alone...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think the trouble is Guy that the Voice Control elements were built into version 8 along with the UI changes. So falling back to previous UI, or something similar, would be far harder than if just the one major change had happened.

We will never get a firm date as that is not how Sonos operates (or most companies), although there was an exception when they gave a date for Spotify voice control.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I think it is the "looking at making changes" that is so frustrating to everyone - they are very slow to deliver anything. This thread started 3 months ago. And they can't say that they have to allow time for user testing, as they clearly don't care about the opinions of users - or they would apologise, or e.g. acknowledge that a dark theme option is justified.

And to the die-hard long term posters, please don't say "this is nowhere near as bad as the transition from release x to release y". Being serial deliverers of disappointing app updates isn't a good thing...

(I guess I am medium term - first Sonos in April 2014 - 5 rooms - a Connect into an Arcam AVR, a Play:5 Gen2, some Play:1s).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
nil, they have said they have heard the unfavorable reviews of the new app and are looking at making changes, so stop accusing them of ignoring things. A little patience may be needed by all, me included, but I am hoping things change soon once people get back from festive holidays.
Userlevel 1
(...)And I do get irritated the random posts “sonos you suck I’m going to buy a bose”. It a bit over dramatic to see one time posters - for many of uswho have been here for years and try to be constructive and know the way Sonos handles changes and communication (sometimes badly). And some of us who have been here a long time do get a bit fed up with dramatic here today gone tomoorw posters. (...)

One/First-time-posters: it should make a company think if your customers register just to vent steam.
The new controller is horrible, and being a lurker on several Sonos forums for quite some time, I have little hope for a better controller. They ruined it, and now it's gone. Thanks for nothing. Sonos' track record for listining to user grief doesn't seem to be good at all to me, I'm afraid.

It's btw quite hard to offer constructive feedback. It takes a lot of time, the old controller is gone so I don't have direct comparism available, sadly. And they'll probably ignore it anyways. All I know is that they took an easy interface and make it anbearbably complicated. They are the professionals, they should have tested that beforehand and should never have released it. And if many customers appear unhappy, even if only by uttering profanity, it's a clear sign that something went utterly wrong.
Userlevel 1
(...)Features that used to be easy to find are impossible to find(...). Why aren't the bottom tab buttons available on every screen? I'm not in the business of learning all the navigation nuances of your new software; I simply want it to work and work easily. I don't care about all the complexity you are adding, when you have obscured the fundamental functionality that I need to run my system. I'm not a happy customer.

This, 100%! - If you have a couple of players it takes by far too many clicks to get from one to another, and it takes effort to find out what the bloody buttons are for!

When I introduced Sonos to our household my wife loved it for its simplicity. Now she can hardly control playback. Even I, the techy guy in the family, struggle to find my ways.
Please guys, did you ever give the new software to someone who's not on your dev team? It's *totally* unintuitive! Please think this over! It's been a major step back, and with Alexa control lacking and Google Assistant control still missing it's a major issue! The days of Sonos being the only player are over, don't you think? How can you ship this bad controller and hope to keep customers and even get new ones?

I spent a lot of money on this. Could you please help me out and make it usable again? Thank you.
Badge
I have just downloaded Sonophone into my ipod but cannot find my itunes music which is on the same device.

More than likely that is not a feature available on that app. Since it is a 3rd party app not affiliated with Sonos, you are better off contacting the author/manufacturer for any needed support.
I missed that comment in the app store and the author has offered me a refund which is nice.
I have just downloaded Sonophone into my ipod but cannot find my itunes music which is on the same device.

More than likely that is not a feature available on that app. Since it is a 3rd party app not affiliated with Sonos, you are better off contacting the author/manufacturer for any needed support.
Badge