New Play Commands with version 6.4

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12104 replies
With Sonos version 6.4 there are some big changes to playing music on Sonos controllers. We’re making it even easier to put on music and have it keep playing. Here's some useful information for you about what's new, and don't forget to check out our blog too for some more.

The default tap or double click function has changed. Tap any song once and it will start to play. Select any song from within an album or playlist and Sonos will replace your queue and play that track followed by whatever comes next.

Listen to a whole playlist by tapping ‘Play All,’ or hit ‘Shuffle’ and mix it up, or start an album right from the album view by tapping on the ‘Play’ icon on the artwork.

You can still build your own track order and queues by tapping *** next to any song. Select ‘Play Now’ to skip the current song and add the selection to the Queue as the next song or songs. Choose ‘Play Next’ or ‘Add to End of Queue’ and build a playlist.

Once you’ve changed what’s in a queue, Sonos will ask you before wiping out your hard work. If you make a queue you like, save it and it will be faster than ever to jump back in later.

We know there are some huge changes here and hope that it doesn’t take too long to get used to it. Play around with the functions and new menus. You might delete your Queue a few times, so make sure you save the playlists that you like. Discover some new music and try all the options for a bit, and don’t forget to show your friends and family just in case they haven’t seen the news.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

I would certainly be willing to buy newly released hardware if it represented some value that exceeded the value of the firmware features that have to be altered or deprecated in order to support it. Unfortunately that has not been the case for some time. But no, I don't think Sonos is worried about or cares about people like me.

And righfully so!
I would certainly be willing to buy newly released hardware if it represented some value that exceeded the value of the firmware features that have to be altered or deprecated in order to support it. Unfortunately that has not been the case for some time. But no, I don't think Sonos is worried about or cares about people like me.

I was surprised myself as I usually try to keep track of that stuff but I have a couple dozen of these things and they get moved fairly often to address changing needs, This one just got sidetracked somehow. Still it feels like it is more work than it should be just to keep some spare units on hand without getting tripped up by the Sonos update policy.

So now Sonos should worry about people who don't want streaming, who never want to buy any newly released hardware, who wish to keep their hardware at an old firmware version, and who regularly keep some of their units stuffed away at an even older firmware version?

Can you not rationally see what an utterly fringe case you present? :8

You'd think someone who has been burned as many times as you claim would have the wherewithal to stop stuffing their Sonos units in the back of a closet for any length of time but, alas. :8

I was surprised myself as I usually try to keep track of that stuff but I have a couple dozen of these things and they get moved fairly often to address changing needs, This one just got sidetracked somehow. Still it feels like it is more work than it should be just to keep some spare units on hand without getting tripped up by the Sonos update policy.
Have been sticking with 6.2 and avoiding this whole debacle until today when it became a real annoyance. I fired up a zone player that has been out of service for awhile and found it was still on 6.0 so I can't use it unless I upgrade which I have no desire to do until the queue controls are shifted back to something that makes sense. Looks like this unit will go back in the closet and instead I'll have to use an Echo Dot plus an audio triggered amp for music in this area. I feel like Sonos is forcing me to start migrating my zones to Amazon Echo based products by making that migration a much more attractive option than the prospect of updating to the latest Sonos firmware.

You'd think someone who has been burned as many times as you claim would have the wherewithal to stop stuffing their Sonos units in the back of a closet for any length of time but, alas. :8
I agree. The fundamental and intuitive action is to click on the name of a song to play it. At the moment, Sonos gives inconsistent results. There are at least 6 different cases:

1. If the queue has not been edited, replace queue with the song and all following songs on the album;
2. If the queue has been edited, confirm replacement of queue with the song and all following songs on the album;
3. If the song is the result of a search and the queue has not been edited, replace queue with just the song;
4. If the song is the result of a search and the queue has been edited, confirm replacement of queue with just the song.
5. If the song is accessed through the Music Library/folders, place in the queue after the currently playing song and start playing.
6. If the song is accessed through the Music Library/folders and no song is playing, place after the first song in the queue and start playing.

It is simply ridiculous to have 6 different outcomes from the most basic action.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Had another quick look at the "play" options. Looks like on both the desktop and iOS apps, if you have a stopped queue and browse to an album or playlist and try play a single track, there's a difference between using "play now" off the menu (which inserts single track at insert position, probably position 2) and double-clicking the song (which does a "replace queue with album and play from this track to end of album"). The "play from here to end" feature is nice, but it probably shouldn't be the default because it breaks the promise of "click to play the thing you clicked on (a song)". So there's still a combination of bugs and unresolved design decisions, almost a year on. Oh well, maybe in the next release...
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Are you sure? On 7.2 in iOS, I'm seeing the Play Now button insert the song after the currently playing song (or position 2 if the queue is stopped), but not clear the queue.

Good question. I haven't checked every possibility (mostly, as long as I can chuck on an album then add other stuff to a running queue then I'm good). But it's become very apparent from the last year of software releases that Sonos consider having a "play" action behave consistently across all screens and all devices to be a low priority.
Are you sure? On 7.2 in iOS, I'm seeing the Play Now button insert the song after the currently playing song (or position 2 if the queue is stopped), but not clear the queue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Checked the 7.2 update and it looks to be the same as 7.1, which is to say that almost all the "play now" buttons seems to do the same thing, which is to "clear queue and play". I say "almost", because the desktop controller still has a screen (list of albums, right-click on one), where you get the new selection inserted (at position 2 for expired queue) for that "play album followed by tracks 2-end of yesterday's listening" experience. iOS looks to be fine on all screens. I liked 6.3-style persistent-by-default queues, I'm fine with the ephemeral-by-default design (it's probably better user experience), I just wish Sonos would fix the last of the playback bugs.
Have been sticking with 6.2 and avoiding this whole debacle until today when it became a real annoyance. I fired up a zone player that has been out of service for awhile and found it was still on 6.0 so I can't use it unless I upgrade which I have no desire to do until the queue controls are shifted back to something that makes sense. Looks like this unit will go back in the closet and instead I'll have to use an Echo Dot plus an audio triggered amp for music in this area. I feel like Sonos is forcing me to start migrating my zones to Amazon Echo based products by making that migration a much more attractive option than the prospect of updating to the latest Sonos firmware.
"Alexa, make the play controls more intuitive and user friendly"
This is a disappointing statement from Ryan. Personally, I'm not interested in voice control as it will never be able to replace the functionality of a well designed controller for a music system as there are just too many variables. One of my particular uses of Sonos is searching for new and old music and listening on the fly - i don't necessarily know what i want until i see it. The old queue and non destructive nature was just perfect for me. Now, the queue is non-intuitive and too random in its design.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is very vague, do you have any intention of making the play controls more intuitive and user friendly like they were before this update??

We don't have any specific plans announced, so we have to be vague. The biggest thing we've talked about that we're working toward which we think will be very user friendly is building in voice control support through Alexa. We think this is going to be really great for a lot of our customers, and a huge step forward for Sonos. There's always other projects going on, and certainly some we can't talk about. As to reverting the play structure, there's nothing to speak to specifically.

We definitely care, and we're constantly getting feedback and passing it on to right teams. There hasn't been any big changes to the play controls but we are working to keep improving Sonos; to make both the software and hardware the best it can be. I don't have any details or news to share, but the team is always trying to push to be the best, and that's not going to change.

This is very vague, do you have any intention of making the play controls more intuitive and user friendly like they were before this update??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As not to be pessimistic (although I am). I'm sure this beta and update was well planned out before any major complaints on having no way to lock queue.

Yes I still have to think carefully before adding songs unfortunately.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
We definitely care
Words, words, words. Where are the actions?
Ryan, please pass this on. The recent changes need fixing to make the queue pleasurable to use like it used to be. Playing music on Sonos is not as easy as it used to be without running the risk of interrupting the flow. I don't want to add songs to the queue that I have not chosen. You may care, but do you understand?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Nope.... no sign that Sonos cares about the issue.

We definitely care, and we're constantly getting feedback and passing it on to right teams. There hasn't been any big changes to the play controls but we are working to keep improving Sonos; to make both the software and hardware the best it can be. I don't have any details or news to share, but the team is always trying to push to be the best, and that's not going to change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nope.... no sign that Sonos cares about the issue.
Have there been any updates on this yet as it's been months now and still stuck with constantly erasing the queue by accident. Very disappointed that this has not been addressed
Userlevel 2
Moved
Userlevel 1
I agree with Rock Star...I can't let anyone else touch the controller or they will destroy the playlist....why did you make something easy so difficult?
Userlevel 1
I am extremely disappointed with Sonos. I can no longer simply add a single song to the playlist and select play next. Instead man forced to add an entire album. This has literally ruined my enjoyment of having Sonos. Friends used to be amazed at how we could select different songs and have a nice party with people selecting songs that they want to play. Please fix this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Oh yea it's a bad location