New Play Commands with version 6.4

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Are you sure? On 7.2 in iOS, I'm seeing the Play Now button insert the song after the currently playing song (or position 2 if the queue is stopped), but not clear the queue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Are you sure? On 7.2 in iOS, I'm seeing the Play Now button insert the song after the currently playing song (or position 2 if the queue is stopped), but not clear the queue.

Good question. I haven't checked every possibility (mostly, as long as I can chuck on an album then add other stuff to a running queue then I'm good). But it's become very apparent from the last year of software releases that Sonos consider having a "play" action behave consistently across all screens and all devices to be a low priority.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Had another quick look at the "play" options. Looks like on both the desktop and iOS apps, if you have a stopped queue and browse to an album or playlist and try play a single track, there's a difference between using "play now" off the menu (which inserts single track at insert position, probably position 2) and double-clicking the song (which does a "replace queue with album and play from this track to end of album"). The "play from here to end" feature is nice, but it probably shouldn't be the default because it breaks the promise of "click to play the thing you clicked on (a song)". So there's still a combination of bugs and unresolved design decisions, almost a year on. Oh well, maybe in the next release...
I agree. The fundamental and intuitive action is to click on the name of a song to play it. At the moment, Sonos gives inconsistent results. There are at least 6 different cases:

1. If the queue has not been edited, replace queue with the song and all following songs on the album;
2. If the queue has been edited, confirm replacement of queue with the song and all following songs on the album;
3. If the song is the result of a search and the queue has not been edited, replace queue with just the song;
4. If the song is the result of a search and the queue has been edited, confirm replacement of queue with just the song.
5. If the song is accessed through the Music Library/folders, place in the queue after the currently playing song and start playing.
6. If the song is accessed through the Music Library/folders and no song is playing, place after the first song in the queue and start playing.

It is simply ridiculous to have 6 different outcomes from the most basic action.
Have been sticking with 6.2 and avoiding this whole debacle until today when it became a real annoyance. I fired up a zone player that has been out of service for awhile and found it was still on 6.0 so I can't use it unless I upgrade which I have no desire to do until the queue controls are shifted back to something that makes sense. Looks like this unit will go back in the closet and instead I'll have to use an Echo Dot plus an audio triggered amp for music in this area. I feel like Sonos is forcing me to start migrating my zones to Amazon Echo based products by making that migration a much more attractive option than the prospect of updating to the latest Sonos firmware.

You'd think someone who has been burned as many times as you claim would have the wherewithal to stop stuffing their Sonos units in the back of a closet for any length of time but, alas. :8

You'd think someone who has been burned as many times as you claim would have the wherewithal to stop stuffing their Sonos units in the back of a closet for any length of time but, alas. :8

I was surprised myself as I usually try to keep track of that stuff but I have a couple dozen of these things and they get moved fairly often to address changing needs, This one just got sidetracked somehow. Still it feels like it is more work than it should be just to keep some spare units on hand without getting tripped up by the Sonos update policy.

I was surprised myself as I usually try to keep track of that stuff but I have a couple dozen of these things and they get moved fairly often to address changing needs, This one just got sidetracked somehow. Still it feels like it is more work than it should be just to keep some spare units on hand without getting tripped up by the Sonos update policy.

So now Sonos should worry about people who don't want streaming, who never want to buy any newly released hardware, who wish to keep their hardware at an old firmware version, and who regularly keep some of their units stuffed away at an even older firmware version?

Can you not rationally see what an utterly fringe case you present? :8
I would certainly be willing to buy newly released hardware if it represented some value that exceeded the value of the firmware features that have to be altered or deprecated in order to support it. Unfortunately that has not been the case for some time. But no, I don't think Sonos is worried about or cares about people like me.
I would certainly be willing to buy newly released hardware if it represented some value that exceeded the value of the firmware features that have to be altered or deprecated in order to support it. Unfortunately that has not been the case for some time. But no, I don't think Sonos is worried about or cares about people like me.

And righfully so!