New Play Commands with version 6.4

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is the next answer please stop serving alcoholic beverages as well? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Really Ryan? Tell the guests to watch the buttons? That's a pretty bad answer.

It tends to work with my friends. Though there's also the public shaming of them when they press the wrong buttons. The drinks just makes it easier to accept some of their bad music choices.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
The thing is the sensible options are already there for the queue in the PC Version unfortunately they only apply to adding new tracks to the queue/creating a queue from the Music Library. The options dissappear when attempting to edit the actual queue/playlist.

For queue - read playlist that only becomes a playlist when you save the queue as a playlist.

Look at the way iTunes allows you to modify the queue/playlist on the go - thats what is required.

Because the Sonos system is generally robust there is nothing more embarrassing in a social situation than double clicking on the queue/playlist and losing the lot. People love to see the system fail because most other systems they own do not work very well at all.
Userlevel 2
Ryan, we are saying we don't like the instant play and verging on hatred of wiping out our queues. We respect that you like the new functionality, but don't force it down our throats. The simple compromise is to allow the user to change the behavior in settings. This enables your party guests to wipe out your carefully crafted pary playlist after one Muppet selects Aqua's Barbie Girl from that 100 track"Best Forgotten Songs of the '80s" you forgot you had. For the rest of us, Barbie Girl will go into the queue next or at the end which is where we want it to go and best of all our carefully curated tracklist remains intact.
Userlevel 1
Echoing what others have already said, the new default tap/double click behaviour is awful! If I select a single song out of an album I never want to replace my whole queue with all the songs in that album...never!!!!!

Please revert to the old behaviour or add an option so that we can configure the behaviour.

With friends in a party situation you'll just want to make sure to let them know which buttons to press if they don't have Sonos already.

This means the software is no longer intuitive to use. The default behavior is unexpected. A non-expert might expect tapping on a song to play it now or add it to the queue. If it could reasonably be either, throw up a menu (which is the way it used to work).

It is NOT intuitive or even vaguely expected that tapping a song wipes the queue and adds the whole album. There are other ways to do this.

It is even more bizarre that tapping the last song in an album adds the whole album!

This version of the software seems to break the Sonos philosophy of easy use.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Agree. Bad answer. I don't want something that acts like my iPhone. Sonos made sense. Now it doesn't.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It tends to work with my friends. Though there's also the public shaming of them when they press the wrong buttons. The drinks just makes it easier to accept some of their bad music choices.

So it should work for everyone?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Going back to the Sonopad app until Sonos fixes theirs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
You know I am not very surprised by the passionate reaction to this software change though many defended it. I think it may turn out to be among the most irritating, if not the most irritating change the company has made and I am not saying that just to be critical. It's just that I think the Sonos is not entirely aware of the various ways ppl actually use the system on a day to day basis. The previous controller allowed a certain freedom to build and create that this new update eradicates for some sort of expedience. Generally when I hit a track I rarely want to "Play from here". That is almost never my default. I want to pick the next song. I actually take great pride in that. I need no one to assist me in quick queue building.

That said, a previous post on this topic revealed that many were happy. But I think too large a number will be put off for Sonos to be content. But time will tell. I felt very strongly about it though I have calmed down a bit. But I do maintain that some of the changes are not intuitive and other very strange. I have not done the very latest update so I am waiting to see if after a playlist is exhausted and you select play now if it interjects as the 2nd track in the queue- a most odd outcome. I trust that that one was cleared out of the system. I will check when I get home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I tried that but I miss the Sonos app universal search to much to use it routinely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If queue is exhausted it still adds play now as second song in the queue. They are aware of that buggy behavior but I believe they were under a deadline to get this version out.
The default tap or double click function has changed. Tap any song once and it will start to play. Select any song from within an album or playlist and Sonos will replace your queue and play that track followed by whatever comes next.

After two days, we feel this doesn't work for us. No one here ever intends to replace the queue with an entire album or playlist with a single tap or double click on a song. Even after I repeatedly explained how it works, they (family) say the result of tapping / double clicking a song feels random. They never know what's going to happen. As a result they are not going to try to keep tack of whether the queue is "edited", they are just never going to select a song by tapping or double clicking. Not a good solution. Tapping sometimes happens by accident while simply scrolling. I don't think this is the experience Sonos had in mind with this change, but that's what has happened here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Is everyone complaining fully aware that

A) the ... Button to the right of each song pretty much replicates the old behavior of clicking on the song itself

😎 If the queue has been edited, you will receive a warning pop up asking if you wish to replace the queue, greatly reducing the chance of a queue being wiped out

I only ask this because it's difficult to gauge from many posts whether the user has fully explored the new system or clicked on a few songs and reacted instantly to the result.
Userlevel 1
Yep fully aware, too many clicks to achieve what used to be really simple though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Note: You will only get the Queue has been edited message if you are clicking a song in an album (where the system performs a "Play from Here" and wants to delete the queue).

If you click on an individual song in folder or search it will perform a Play Now function and interrupt the currently playing song and play the clicked song next in the queue. This is probably the bigger of the issues being this is supposed to be used in a multi-user environment where interrupting song is frowned upon. The queue however is not deleted.

It is difficult for people to gauge because the interface is inconsistent. If the queue has been edited you should get the same pop up box whether in album or single song (and in my opinion the pop up should also then give you queue options as it used to - the warning only box could be much more)
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Coming back to what Peter said above......the new approach is simply not that intuitive.....some may argue that certain users have just become creatures of habit but I don't think so. The clue is when you have to "Train your guests" not to be nuisances and the system itself has to give you these warnings that prevent X&Y from happening.
In my opinion, they have adopted the app style (I call it the iTunes style, so sue me). The problem is, an app is for use by one person and their headphones, or at most one person and a Bluetooth speaker that is listened to by a group. Sonos is more communal, and it is used in a home setting. It's more like a whole home jukebox than a one-room boombox, and jukeboxes should operate like jukeboxes - each user picks a song and they play in order. I loved this feature; even if, like a jukebox, some idiot inevitably used the "Play Next" feature to stick a Barney song or "My My My Delilah" into a cool alternative groove you've got going.

Now it's not only the default to immediately play Barney or Tom Jones, it queues up a whole album of Barney's or Tom's Greatest Hits, and deletes the rest of the queue in the process! Which is great for one guy playing Spotify through his headphones, but it flat out stinks in a "music as a social gathering" situation, which is what Sonos marketing has been preaching for a while. Why market the fact that music brings families and groups together, then change your UI so that it mimics the use-case of an introvert loner listening to his headphones and not interacting with anybody else?
Userlevel 2
Is everyone complaining fully aware that...

The Sonos app is in essence a Queue + Interface to add/remove tracks from the queue. The most direct form of interaction is the tap which should produce the most intuitive, logical function that is consistent with general experience. I cannot see how the changes satisfy that condition. Do the majority of users routinely like to delete their queues at the tap of a track and replace with a non-selected album?

Even with the warning pop up mistakes can now easily be made, especially by guests who are not familiar with the software. All these work-arounds and hacks such as hovering over guests to explain how to use the interface etc. were completely unnecessary.
Is everyone complaining fully aware that...

Do the majority of users routinely like to delete their queues at the tap of a track and replace with a non-selected album?

Judging from threads, there is a significant portion of users who do just that. This was what they are used to via iTunes and then apps like Spotify and others. Whether that is a majority, I can't say. But they were significant, at least in their vocal presence.

However, those threads usually came to the conclusion that a "Play From Here" option on the play menu would satisfy most. Wholesale changes to the default actions and effectively hiding the queue from the user is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
Is everyone complaining fully aware that

A) the ... Button to the right of each song pretty much replicates the old behavior of clicking on the song itself

That is what everyone here is now doing. They try their best to never tap or double click on a song by accident. This doesn't feel like very good interface design to me.

B) If the queue has been edited, you will receive a warning pop up asking if you wish to replace the queue, greatly reducing the chance of a queue being wiped out

Here's an example that is unexpected and unintuitive: You are playing an album. You decide you want to add some songs from other albums to the queue. You locate the first song you want to add, you tap on it. Poof! The queue was just replaced with album you are currently looking at and the song you clicked on is now playing. No warning pop up. This is what has my family so confused. Yes, I know, tap the ... or right click or whatever. In other words, don't ever tap on a song is the solution my family has determined works best for them. Doesn't sound right.
Userlevel 2
Wholesale changes to the default actions and effectively hiding the queue from the user is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Haha nicely put.

Sonos is a sub-level system to apps like Spotify, iTunes etc. The Sonos queue has always been a sort of unifying mindmap for all that I'm listening to. In apps like Spotify I create easily accessible lists (permanent cues) all the time. The play queue there is of no importance. While in Sonos the main play queue is everything. Maybe we're freaking out too much about this. But for me the reaction is a rejection of disorder in something that has been consistently orderly on the big things for many years :-))
When we get Alexa integration and ask Alexa to play a song, will she "know better" and wipe the queue then play the whole album?

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I am really unhappy with the new iOS app. I often listen to podcasts. I used to be able to add all episodes from one podcast to the queue WITHOUT replacing the queue. Now the choice is to add them one at a time by clicking on the three dots and then add to end of queue or add them all and replace the queue. What genius designed this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am really unhappy with the new iOS app. I often listen to podcasts. I used to be able to add all episodes from one podcast to the queue WITHOUT replacing the queue. Now the choice is to add them one at a time by clicking on the three dots and then add to end of queue or add them all and replace the queue. What genius designed this?

Which field are you using when you go to play podcasts are you using "This iPhone" ? If so, when you open up the podcast you should have a *** menu at the top right on top of the artwork with the option to add all tracks to the end of the queue, along with a few other options. Also, a long press on the podcast name before you get to the full show page which should pull up a menu too with the option for this as well.