New Play Commands with version 6.4

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11324 replies
With Sonos version 6.4 there are some big changes to playing music on Sonos controllers. We’re making it even easier to put on music and have it keep playing. Here's some useful information for you about what's new, and don't forget to check out our blog too for some more.

The default tap or double click function has changed. Tap any song once and it will start to play. Select any song from within an album or playlist and Sonos will replace your queue and play that track followed by whatever comes next.

Listen to a whole playlist by tapping ‘Play All,’ or hit ‘Shuffle’ and mix it up, or start an album right from the album view by tapping on the ‘Play’ icon on the artwork.

You can still build your own track order and queues by tapping *** next to any song. Select ‘Play Now’ to skip the current song and add the selection to the Queue as the next song or songs. Choose ‘Play Next’ or ‘Add to End of Queue’ and build a playlist.

Once you’ve changed what’s in a queue, Sonos will ask you before wiping out your hard work. If you make a queue you like, save it and it will be faster than ever to jump back in later.

We know there are some huge changes here and hope that it doesn’t take too long to get used to it. Play around with the functions and new menus. You might delete your Queue a few times, so make sure you save the playlists that you like. Discover some new music and try all the options for a bit, and don’t forget to show your friends and family just in case they haven’t seen the news.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
One more thing is still missing - the ability to play stuff from your phone wirelessly to Sonos:
- The audio from a video playing on any social media channel (YouTube/Vimeo)
- The audio downloaded from apps like the audio edition of The Economist
- Etc.
One more thing is still missing - the ability to play stuff from your phone wirelessly to Sonos:
- The audio from a video playing on any social media channel (YouTube/Vimeo)
- The audio downloaded from apps like the audio edition of The Economist
- Etc.

Did someone say you would be able to do this? Why let us check!

- . . . (typity typity type type) checks release notes . . . -

Why no, the release notes say nothing about these functions being in this release. Matter of fact, everything in the release notes is in the release, nothing "missing" at all. So can we please keep this thread confined to the functions that are actually on the release notes, instead of things which are not?

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We'll pass on the request for you Richard, it goes along with a regular request we get here for "play my device on Sonos" or "play to Sonos". Thanks for asking!
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Why is it still impossible to have a "Play Next" option when playing a say 100 track playlist. You still have to go to all the trouble of editing the queue, dragging the track under the one currently playing (finding which is extremely difficult as it is not really highlighted). This is hopeless in a party situation where you are trying to be a DJ. Finding the track in the current playlist, waiting for the current track to be finished then using the new "single click" option works but the playlist then plays on from the point where the new track was located in the playlist.

How naff is that?

Or am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I don't think I'm reading your question right, so please let me know if you're looking for something else. If you have a queue of 100 tracks and you're on track 15 and you'd like to play a specific track from somewhere else as number 16, just select the *** button along the name of that track and select 'Play Next'. Just that song will be added, as number 16, and the queue will remain in tact with a total of 101 tracks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I don't think I'm reading your question right, so please let me know if you're looking for something else. If you have a queue of 100 tracks and you're on track 15 and you'd like to play a specific track from somewhere else as number 16, just select the *** button along the name of that track and select 'Play Next'. Just that song will be added, as number 16, and the queue will remain in tact with a total of 101 tracks.

HI Ryan, I am talking about selecting a track that is already in the queue but I wish to play this track next. I can select the same or another track from my Music Library and Play Next but not from the current queue. The only option I have is Play Now. What is needed is a Play Next when in and from the queue.

Suppose we are enjoying my "wonderful" BBQ playlist I have created and things are going so well that I believe playing one of the tracks in my 100 track queue next will be ideal I have got to go in and laboriously edit the queue instead of having a simple play next that pushes the track below the currently playing track.

I don't want to end up with the same track twice in my queue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

HI Ryan, I am talking about selecting a track that is already in the queue but I wish to play this track next. I can select the same or another track from my Music Library and Play Next but not from the current queue. The only option I have is Play Now. What is needed is a Play Next when in and from the queue.

Suppose we are enjoying my "wonderful" BBQ playlist I have created and things are going so well that I believe playing one of the tracks in my 100 track queue next will be ideal I have got to go in and laboriously edit the queue instead of having a simple play next that pushes the track below the currently playing track.

Thanks for clarifying. You're right, that isn't included in the new play functions. I'll pass that on for you though. For now, if you find editing the queue and moving the track to be too hard, I know it can be difficult sometimes with really long queues, adding the song through search as a duplicate in the queue may be the best way to go. You can always skip it when it comes up again later on.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I love the "tap to play" feature and slightly zoomed menus BUT what's with the ugly, pixelated music symbol at the top of each Apple Music playlist? Seems out of place for what is otherwise a slick-looking piece of software...!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
......"The default tap or double click function has changed. Tap any song once and it will start to play. Select any song from within an album or playlist and Sonos will replace your queue and play that track followed by whatever comes next. "....

I dont like that feature at all! Having the ability to play an entire album right from the album view, Great! but when I select a single song, my que is replaced with that song followed by every other song listed too...well, sorry, but that just sucks.

So now in order to just add that 1 song to my que without destroying the que, i have to hit the dots and select play now. etc. not sure who thought this was a good idea but I hate it, and I have already had calls from 2 clients today complaining that their "sonos was acting funny after the update", Not really a true "tap and play" if you dont want all the other songs, and spend tons of time on the phone explaining to clients that they now have to do things differently.

I find this new "feature" to be counter-intuitive as well as highly annoying in many ways.

Play all, shuffle all...awesome!

Play the entire album from album view, I love it.

Play a song instantly with 1 tap, great, but i have rarely ever wanted to add every other song that is listed with it, be it from a playlist or from search results from napster, deezer , music library, etc. In many cases, IE: a search on napster , say, for The Rolling stones, will bring several hundred songs, many of them duplicated throughout the list many times. You have the "play all" and "shuffle all" buttons now at the top, which is a nice addition for sure. but please dont force me to que up everything. The dots are there with additional options should i want to clear/replace/add or whatever.

If you want to boast about "1 touch play", then keep it just that. Tap a song, it goes into the que and begins to play, nothing more, nothing less and it doesnt destroy the que you already have going! This is one feature that you really should rethink. or at the very least, give us the option of disabling it.

This is the first time I find myself disappointed with Sonos.
I haven't explored everything yet, and once I do I might have some gripes, but overall I quite like the slick new approach to music play that is more than just win some and lose some, imo.

Make sure you save the playlists you like because you might delete the queue a few times in the early days of the change is good advice from Ryan.
Perhaps we could look at it this way; the "tap" region to access the old functionality has moved a bit to the right (from song name to three dots). That should be easy to get used to. The song name now provides additional functionality. Nothing lost (except a few queues early on).

Cheers, Peter.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I agree with Johnkfitz. This change makes it too easy to,wipe out the queue. I can see you've tried to match Apple's music app function, which I have never liked. Please give us the option.
As far as I can see, it is only easy to wipe out the queue when it is first created. Once it has been edited by moving or adding songs, any action that would wipe out the queue pops up a confirmation dialog.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm getting no such warnings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks for clarifying. You're right, that isn't included in the new play functions. I'll pass that on for you though. For now, if you find editing the queue and moving the track to be too hard, I know it can be difficult sometimes with really long queues, adding the song through search as a duplicate in the queue may be the best way to go. You can always skip it when it comes up again later on.

Hmm that's a long way from either ideal or intuitive. What I did not mention is that if my song is say 40 tracks down in the queue the one click "play now" means jumping 40 tracks not carrying on playing the next track in the queue. Nor am I necessarily going to be on hand whilst flipping burgers to make sure my added track (your suggestion) does not play again.

I'm sorry but your suggestions for a way around having a simple "play next" in a queue are not practicable.

Also whilst in the process of creating queues only to have them wiped out by an accidental double click on an album track is going to result in some interesting insurance claims from those who have thrown their Tablets/Phones/iPads/PCs/MACS across the room!

Why can there not be some options like:

Play Next
Mark Played

Etc.

I repeat - a long way from intuitive.

Try this. Browse to any album. Add a single track to an empty queue (from the ...). Add another single track. The queue is now considered "edited". Now double click (Windows/Mac) or tap (IOS etc) a third track to add the entire album. The confirmation dialog should come up. There are other scenarios that also bring up the dialog, like re-ordering tracks within the queue.
Badge
Totally pointless update. Why oh why mess with stuff that actually was working great? The new play mode is awful. And it's played havoc with my setup again too. Won't recognize my library at all.
Userlevel 2
I hate the new function adding every song that comes after the one I select to the playlist. I have searched settings but cannot find how to disable this horrible feature. How do I stop it please?
Userlevel 1
Please provide an option to revert to "Add to Queue" vs. immediately playing the selected track. The previous functionality was a major selling point for me. The new functionality wreaks havoc during social settings when multiple people are collaborating on a "live" playlist during a party. Think TouchTunes-like. Now every time someone instinctively selects a track, the current playing song is skipped and the whole queue is wiped out. Not fun.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Try this. Browse to any album. Add a single track to an empty queue (from the ...). Add another single track. The queue is now considered "edited". Now double click (Windows/Mac) or tap (IOS etc) a third track to add the entire album. The confirmation dialog should come up. There are other scenarios that also bring up the dialog, like re-ordering tracks within the queue.

Here's my issue. Whenever I click on a song, it put's the whole album in and replaces the queue. No warnings.
Userlevel 2
Sonos I hope you're listening.

I never comment on these things but since I'm heavily invested in your products and use them every day I feel obliged to share my opinion. Completely agree with all previous critical sentiments regarding this horrible update (6.4). It's at best nonintuitive and at worst clumsy and maddening.

After installing the update on my phone and tapping a Spotify track my queue of 1500+ tracks was instantly wiped out and replaced with the album of the selected track (!) without any notice or warning. I have myself to blame for not saving the queue prior to updating. Not doing that again and definitely not updating any of my other devices. Still, there's no justification for wrecking the functionality in this way as others have already eloquently stated. Why not let a tap simply add the selected track to the end of the queue and start playing without removing anything?

While I'm at it, how come you have prioritized this funny business instead of finally introducing a search function within the queue itself? Believe a search function has been widely requested for at least a couple of years now.

Will be changing the 5 star rating in the app store to zilch until the app has come to its senses...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The beta thread has a lot of the same concerns regarding the queue and it's a long read.
I'm holding off updating as this update sounds like it will not be good for me. I love the way the queue works at the moment and never really listen to full albums.

The iOS app reviews for this update are not looking good.

Please give the user the option to revert back to the old method Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll make sure to pass it on for you. We know there are some huge changes but we encourage you to play with it a while. Personally, after I got used to it I really started to like it.

With friends in a party situation you'll just want to make sure to let them know which buttons to press if they don't have Sonos already.

The team is closely looking at all the feedback coming in, as they did during the beta. After you've played around let us know if there's something you love, or something you don't. We're always looking to improve functionality for the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Really Ryan? Tell the guests to watch the buttons? That's a pretty bad answer.