Answered

MLB.com GameDay Audio & Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm able to watch and listen to spring training games that started at 1:00 pm EST today at MLB.com, but when I tried to use the MLB.com Gameday Audio service on my Sonos One (using the PC desktop controller and both versions of the phone app), it tells me "there are no games available today."

I can also watch and listen using the MLB.com app on phone and tablet, so this seems to be a Sonos-only problem.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 4 May 2018, 02:26

Hello everyone! Glad to share some good news regarding MLB, Sonos, and Alexa.

Just as Chris shared, the team has been hard at work to bring full support to 20 of the most requested audio skills for Amazon Alexa on Sonos One. One of these supported Alexa skills is MLB At-Bat. This means that if you have a Sonos One, you can use your MLB At-Bat account to bring all the baseball action to your Sonos system this season.

Should we get any more information on how else to enjoy MLB on Sonos, I will be certain to reach out here.
View original

138 replies

Alternatively, if Sonos wants to get TuneIn Premium working, I'd be happy to give some serious thought to giving TuneIn my money instead of MLB. I'd miss the games on the go in the AtBat app, but...

But as is stated elsewhere in these forums, that would take a major overhaul of Sonos' TuneIn support since the current support doesn't associate Radio by TuneIn with your TuneIn account.

Keith, who just unplugged his line-in cord for the night after closing the browser window with mlb.tv
As has been said before, this is a decision taken by MLB, and not Sonos. It's to them you should be complaining.
Just adding my frustration in case anyone is watching. I have an MLB.tv subscription and 1k sunk into (older) Sonos speakers. Cone on guys, get over your greed, laziness, or whatever the issue is and give us a MLB to Sonos solution.
I feel your pain, to be sure. Glad you have a work around (curse MLB!). I'm looking forward for my opening day game this afternoon.
Thanks, Airgetlam. I wish we could do the Airplay route. We're an all Windows and Android household. Looks like I'll be using line-in jack for now.

I did come up with a rather Rube Goldberg solution a while back: casted my phone's audio to our Chromecast which was connected to our home theather receiver, connected the line-out of the receiver to the line-in of the Connect amp, and it worked... sort of. It of course meant all of the audio, including notification tones, went to Sonos. It also meant the phone had to stay close enough to get a solid audio signal to the Chromecast. And the line-out of the AV receiver was post-volume control meaning I had to make sure the speakers connected to the receiver were turned off and the volume turned up on the receiver. All-in-all, the audio chord from the computer was simpler. I'll keep doing that until something better comes along.

Keith
As near as I can tell, TuneIn Premium is still working. I use AirPlay 2 to send it to my Sonos.
Thanks, Bruce, for the sanity check. Yes, there could be some licensing issues behind it, but considering support on other devices sells more subscriptions, I'd think they'd find a way to work through that.

Does anyone know if TuneIn Premium or TuneIn Live will work on Sonos yet? Last I checked, Gameday Audio was available from those services, too, but, they didn't work on Sonos yet. I like the AtBat audio and other features that all work together and would prefer to stick with one subscription for all of that, but I'm just exploring my options. Until then, you'll find me walking downstairs to my office to plug my computer audio into that Play 5 so my wife can hear her Cubbies on the Sonos speakers upstairs. :)

Keith
I think you've already got the best solutions out there....either AirPlay 2 if you can, or the connection to a Sonos line in.

I, too, am very disappointed in MLB's choice, and efforts to move everyone to their platform only. Although it is possible that there's some legal reason why they can't allow the data to be "cast" onto a Sonos....but it would be a fairly arcane one, if it exists.
From what I'm reading in the Alexa app, MLB Gameday audio through Alexa won't be available for the start of the 2019 season. There goes that work-around for getting baseball on Sonos. Here's what I'm seeing under the MLB skill screen in the app:

The Gameday Audio skill will not be available on Alexa devices for opening day 2019 while we work on building a new and improved Alexa skill. We understand that this platform is important for our fans and we thank you for your patience. Please check back for updates later this season. If you need further assistance please contact us at MLB.TV/Support.

Any options left other than Airplay from an IOS device with the At Bat app or my favorite trick, connecting my computer to my Play 5's line-in jack and streaming the game in my web browser to the other rooms?

I'm very sad by MLB's choices here: first Sonos, and now Alexa. I'm wondering if they're trying to give people more reasons to move to MLB TV instead -- something that would do me very little good since I'm blind and TV anouncer's play-by-play is usually less than desirable. :)

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Keith
I am not able to find At Bat in the Skills Store. Only thing that comes up in a search is MLB Flash Briefing.
Issue has not been resolved for the 2019 season - here is the note I just received from MLB.

"Thank you for contacting MLB.com

We do apologize for any inconvenience however, MLB.TV will not be available on Sonos devices for the 2019 season. For a full list of supported devices, visit MLB.TV.

If you have any additional questions, please reply to this email or contact Customer Service at 866-800-1275 (US) or 512-434-1542 (International)."

I'm not buying any new Sonos products unless this gets resolved. Extremely disappointing.
So sometimes it works correctly, and other times it is just silence where it otherwise seems like she thinks she is playing the game. On those times I’ve tried repeatedly and rebooted the speaker. Can’t figure it out.
Were you able to tell Alexa to play the MLB game on your Sonos?:D
With Sonos One, I access Alexa and get her to play an MLB at Bat game, but there’s just silence. She plays music over Sonos One, and I can get AtBat to lay on an iPad. So it’s a Sonos problem. Anyone have this?
So, what does that do for those of us who don't have any interest in Alexa? I will not be pleased if that is the only solution to enable MLB Gameday Audio playback on Sonos.

Prolly not what you want to hear but I added a BEAM to my One's & just use my DTV remote so I don't have to get her involved.
So, what does that do for those of us who don't have any interest in Alexa? I will not be pleased if that is the only solution to enable MLB Gameday Audio playback on Sonos.
I have no problem Playing MLB games using my Sonos One. You have to use the Alexa skill. So I say "Alexa, open MLB". It then asks "Which team do you want to listen to?". Then I can link that zone to any other zone in my house. You'd have to make sure MLB skill is enabled in your Alexa settings, NOT your Sonos music services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would assume the Sonos skill will also do the same to other Sonos units.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone! Glad to share some good news regarding MLB, Sonos, and Alexa.

Just as Chris shared, the team has been hard at work to bring full support to 20 of the most requested audio skills for Amazon Alexa on Sonos One. One of these supported Alexa skills is MLB At-Bat. This means that if you have a Sonos One, you can use your MLB At-Bat account to bring all the baseball action to your Sonos system this season.

Should we get any more information on how else to enjoy MLB on Sonos, I will be certain to reach out here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
AS of this week - They have added it into the Sonos Amazon Alexa skill so if you have Alexa it will now send to MLB to Sonos. So much for their demise.

MLB is at fault here - they messed up their support and have been slow to re-authorize their various methods.

Saying Spotify and Pandora will drop off is just trying to irresponsibly stir up people.
It sure feels like a sign that points to the end of Sonos. Just wait until Spotify and Pandora drop off.
Note that in your analogy, Sonos is the radio player, not the radio station. They carry other people's content, they don't provide content themselves.
The tech who made that statement does not speak for MLB Digital Media; he speaks for his boss. Lay off the snark.

Bottom line for me is if Sonos can’t provide the same content as a struggling terrestrial radio station, they’ve got a problem.

I don’t think the MLB ever said that their streams COULD NOT work with Sonos, they simply said they were not the ones responsible for making the changes. I don’t think the MLB sees this as a “problem” they changed the streaming format, my understanding is that their is no reason technically speaking that Sonos could not also make changes / updates to their stream formatting to accommodate the new MLB format - however they choose not to. Again the onus is on Sonos to make the change.

I have about two weeks left with my Play:1 units. At this point while I love the sound quality I expect they will be returned. I may end up considering upgrading to purchase a unit that can handle Airplay 2 streams - or I may go with $40 echo dots - given that I can get four of those for the price of a single Play:1 that is likely the direction I will go.

That's what you got from:

He admitted the issue exist not with Sonos but with AtBat. MLB changed AtBat's streaming tech from flash to html which prevented it from working on Sonos systems. Eventually MLB will be looking into Atbat working on Sonos

If so, I suggest you are viewing the statements from MLB AtBat through a very biased set off glasses. The MLB AtBat tech stated unequivocally that the issue is not with Sonos, and that they will look into getting their streams working on Sonos, but it is not a priority right now. How that becomes Sonos' fault in your mind Sonos fault, I'll never know. It's quite obvious from their statement that Sonos cannot make changes without their help and/or approval, and they are not in a position to work with Sonos right now.

I've seen a lot of posters over the years who default to blaming Sonos when who to blame is unclear, but this is the very first time I've seen one blame Sonos when the other part actually says it is their fault. :8

Lastly, if you are willing to give up the sound quality of a Play:1 for a tinny sounding Echo Dot, I suggest you are not Sonos' intended market and would do well to move on.

I don’t want to completely rabbit hole this thread but the thing of it is I am exactly the “intended market” I care about sound quality but only to the extent that I can play what I would like to play. Sonos is operating in an increasingly competitive marketplace and as yet do not seem to have the desire to make changes to compete. Yes the dot has bad audio but I can buy two and connect one to my whole house amp that has nice in-wall speakers for a fraction of the price.

I don’t think the MLB ever said that their streams COULD NOT work with Sonos, they simply said they were not the ones responsible for making the changes. I don’t think the MLB sees this as a “problem” they changed the streaming format, my understanding is that their is no reason technically speaking that Sonos could not also make changes / updates to their stream formatting to accommodate the new MLB format - however they choose not to. Again the onus is on Sonos to make the change.

I have about two weeks left with my Play:1 units. At this point while I love the sound quality I expect they will be returned. I may end up considering upgrading to purchase a unit that can handle Airplay 2 streams - or I may go with $40 echo dots - given that I can get four of those for the price of a single Play:1 that is likely the direction I will go.

That's what you got from:

He admitted the issue exist not with Sonos but with AtBat. MLB changed AtBat's streaming tech from flash to html which prevented it from working on Sonos systems. Eventually MLB will be looking into Atbat working on Sonos

If so, I suggest you are viewing the statements from MLB AtBat through a very biased set off glasses. The MLB AtBat tech stated unequivocally that the issue is not with Sonos, and that they will look into getting their streams working on Sonos, but it is not a priority right now. How that becomes in your mind Sonos fault, I'll never know. It's quite obvious from their statement that Sonos cannot make changes without their help and/or approval, and they are not in a position to work with Sonos right now.

I've seen a lot of posters over the years who default to blaming Sonos when who to blame is unclear, but this is the very first time I've seen one blame Sonos when the other part actually says it is their fault. :8

Lastly, if you are willing to give up the sound quality of a Play:1 for a tinny sounding Echo Dot, I suggest you are not Sonos' intended market and would do well to move on.