Answered

MLB.com GameDay Audio & Sonos

Show first post

138 replies

Thank you for the reply, Keith. I find it odd that as an MLB customer, I hadn't received this email.
I also find it further troubling, that as a partner with MLB, that they didn't notify Sonos that this service was no longer being supported so that you could remove it from your website as a supported provider before Spring Training. I'll note that it's still being listed prominently on sonos.com.

I have had the same experience as you, Caolle! I just sent a note to MLB.com support asking them to cancel my subscription!
I have complained to MLB too. They replied that they now use an HTML player instead of Adobe Flash. Not sure how this relates to the Sonos audio only app. They did state that "We are working to add to the product offerings. Please check back for updates." This may just be boiler plate, but, perhaps these is a chance to get the Sonos app working again if enough people complain.
TMoble yet again have away last Tuesday MLB TV for the entire season!!! But now I can’t listen on Sonos? Did we ever get the reason?
Pony up, Sonos!

Why on earth should Sonos pay MLB?
It's not just you. I reported this to sonos via twitter. They say they're working with MLB to resolve.

Since MLB Gameday Audio no longer works with Sonos, I asked MLB to cancel my subscription, and they did: "Per your request, we have canceled your Subscription." Note that they did not try to convince me that a solution would be forthcoming.
In follow up to the community manager's suggestion I sent the following message to MLB. I would encourage anyone else who would like MLB Audio supported on Sonos to send a note to MLB.

You can do so at:
http://www.mlb.com/mlbtv/help-center/contact-us.jsp

Here is the note I sent:
----------------------
Hi MLB,

I would like to inquire as to the status of the MLB audio/Sonos partnership and if MLB audio will continue to be supported on Sonos? It seems the Sonos and the Sonos community is passionate about subscribing to MLB audio to listen to games on their Sonos systems. I have been an MLB subscriber and personally invested in Sonos this year to listen to MLB games throughout the season. I was very disappointed to learn this is not currently working. I am hoping it is just a technical issue that can be resolved so that the Sonos community can enjoy MLB games this year and in years to come. If I can answer any questions or help in any way to resolve this issue, please feel free to contact me.
---------------------
In addition I called out MLB on Twitter. This is pathetic for them to do this to customers:
@MLB Why no MLB Audio Support on @Sonos this season? #MLB #SONOS

In follow up to the community manager's suggestion I sent the following message to MLB. I would encourage anyone else who would like MLB Audio supported on Sonos to send a note to MLB.

You can do so at:
http://www.mlb.com/mlbtv/help-center/contact-us.jsp

Here is the note I sent:
----------------------
Hi MLB,

I would like to inquire as to the status of the MLB audio/Sonos partnership and if MLB audio will continue to be supported on Sonos? It seems the Sonos and the Sonos community is passionate about subscribing to MLB audio to listen to games on their Sonos systems. I have been an MLB subscriber and personally invested in Sonos this year to listen to MLB games throughout the season. I was very disappointed to learn this is not currently working. I am hoping it is just a technical issue that can be resolved so that the Sonos community can enjoy MLB games this year and in years to come. If I can answer any questions or help in any way to resolve this issue, please feel free to contact me.
---------------------
The season has just started and we’re ready to play ball when MLB is. We are passionate about supporting MLB on Sonos, and we encourage you as a customer to reach out to them if it’s something you feel passionate about as well.

Or, you know, you can always better your offer to MLB. Maybe instead of pushing the blame onto them, you can figure out how to provide the service that your customers want.
Pony up, Sonos!

Why on earth should Sonos pay MLB?

Because people paid Sonos for a product under the impression that they would have access to the service they wanted. A service that Sonos still lists as available on their website.
Sonos doesn't pay any service provider for any service. Sonos makes money from speaker sales, and doesn't collect any cut of the money that you pay to any of the service providers. Hence they wouldn't be able to "pony up" to a service provider who has decided not to provide their stream to Sonos.

Sonos provides a free API for any company to incorporate, to allow users to listen to that company's stream. Sonos doesn't take any of that subscription money, nor do they pay any of these streams to be on their service.

I think your complaint should be with MLB, and more specifically, the app service that they provide. They are the ones that have pulled the service from Sonos. I'm relatively certain that Sonos is as unhappy as you are, but are unwilling to sour any relationship that they might have by badmouthing MLB. At the end of the day, the only way that Sonos profits is by having as many streams available on their speakers as possible. The only money Sonos makes is from selling speakers.
I had just renewed my subscription to MLB Gameday Audio and this issue was driving me NUTS. I came up with two workarounds:

1. If you have any Sonos product with audio line in ports (like a Connect) you can plugin whatever device (phone, iPad, computer) via an audio cable. You can then control your line-in audio via the smartphone app.
2. This one works for any Sonos speaker and is completely wireless. Stream MLB Gameday Audio on your PC and beam it to Sonos using "Stream What You Hear" software. Instructions here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/292842/how-to-stream-any-audio-from-your-pc-to-a-sonos-player/

Both work great - and no way MLB can block them since you're playing the audio through their approved methods.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I got tired of using line-in from iPad/iPhone and messing with the cable and volume levels that were so low for the line-in source. I purchased the single-team season on mlb.tv for $90 and I can listen to the radio broadcast on Apple TV on the playbar and group the rest.
This is a huge bummer. I prefer listening to games on weeknights while doing stuff around the house. Hope they can get this straightened out.
Keep Calling MLB 866-800-1275 to complain!!
Any update on this ? Ive emailed and called MLB several times. The customer reps have no idea whats going on...majority of them say they havent even heard of Sonos.
I don't believe Sonos has any control over this. They play what the MLB provides to them. You're probably best to continue to bug the MLB folks, even speaking to supervisors if the first line reps haven't heard of Sonos.
I emailed the commissioner of baseball and he basically told me it was on Sonos to update their technology to accommodate. They don’t get revenue from Sonos so they don’t care.
I bought a connect and plugged a spare dot into it. Then I activated the MLB skill and voila. It works with the rest of my system. You can also active the tune in live skill and switch to that if you don't want to use MLB anymore. Either works with the connect and dot.
I emailed the commissioner of baseball and he basically told me it was on Sonos to update their technology to accommodate. They don’t get revenue from Sonos so they don’t care.

And the Commissioner of Baseball knows this how? Because if he spends his day worrying about this type of minutia, they need to hire another commissioner.

Sonos doesn't pay any service provider for any service. Sonos makes money from speaker sales, and doesn't collect any cut of the money that you pay to any of the service providers. Hence they wouldn't be able to "pony up" to a service provider who has decided not to provide their stream to Sonos.

Sonos provides a free API for any company to incorporate, to allow users to listen to that company's stream. Sonos doesn't take any of that subscription money, nor do they pay any of these streams to be on their service.

I think your complaint should be with MLB, and more specifically, the app service that they provide. They are the ones that have pulled the service from Sonos. I'm relatively certain that Sonos is as unhappy as you are, but are unwilling to sour any relationship that they might have by badmouthing MLB. At the end of the day, the only way that Sonos profits is by having as many streams available on their speakers as possible. The only money Sonos makes is from selling speakers.

Except that when you call MLB, they tell you that Sonos was the one to discontinue the service.

How noble of Sonos to not collect any cut of the money. That doesn't prevent them from making an offer to MLB to have access to the service if MLB was the one who discontinued it. People bought these devices because Sonos promised it on their website. Now, Sonos has finally taken down that they offer MLB Gameday Audio. Fat lot of good that does for us past the 45 day return mark that bought this product because we thought it was the way to listen to MLB Gameday Audio.
Sure. Sonos could indeed offer money to MLB. How would they recoup this money? They'd need to set up a subscription service of their own, I'd think. Which would be a huge amount of money in development, and be counter to their current business model. Possible, absolutely. Wise? Probably up to the CEO to make that decision.

I'm truly sorry this happened. I'm as affected as you are. And annoyed. But I also recognize that it's not a Sonos issue. MLB made the changes, not Sonos. Nothing has changed on Sonos side.

I hope that you're able to find other uses for your Sonos products. They do a lot of other great things beyond just baseball. But the good thing is, even if you find the need to get rid of them, they have tremendous value in the secondary market.
Badge
I just got off the phone with Bernadette, a customer service rep at MLB. 4/13/18. This has nothing to do with money or someone not paying someone else. She said that MLB went through a major re-work of their streaming service and app in the offseason and have to retest all of the devices they support before they make them compatible again. She said that MLB has not gotten around to testing Sonos to be sure the quality is still good. I asked why it wasn’t tested sooner and she said MLB prioritizes the more frequently used devices (i.e. PlayStation, Roku, Google Home, etc.). She couldn’t guarantee me “but felt” that MLB would continue to test software and devices and that Sonos may be compatible “later this season”. She did state that MLB has been on the Sonos forums and MLB forums and is aware of the high level of discontent from Sonos users. She said they file and tally all specific Sonos related complaints either through Twitter, email, phone, etc. and do track that. This may be a way of determining how to prioritize testing or continue to test a product so I’d encourage everyone to keep reaching out to MLB. She did say she personally was aware of a strong Sonos community that was upset. I asked why we weren’t notified about this prior to renewing MLB subscriptions and she had no answer for that. So, hopefully they get Sonos tested and working again before too long. In the meantime, I tried what another user on this forum suggested and, if you have a PLAYBAR for your TV play the radio through your TVs MLB app or through a Roku or Apple TV on to the PLAYBAR and then group the PLAYBAR with your other speakers. It worked fine for me. And you can always mute the PLAYBAR volume if you don’t want it playing in that room. Hope this helps.
Looks like the Commissioner was wrong. 😉
Looks like the Commissioner was wrong. ;)

The “testing” explanation makes no sense, as you point out. This is about how much money Sonos is willing to pay MLB, I suspect.