Answered

MLB.com GameDay Audio & Sonos

Show first post

138 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
For now, I am using mlb at bat app on my iPad/iPhone to listen to game day audio and hooking in to line-in on a play5 (then grouping other rooms). I also subscribed to single team on mlb.tv which also has audio (radio) broadcast along with live video. I listen to the radio broadcast on Apple TV on tv with playbar then group others - although nobody can watch tv. I hope this is resolved soon - so much easier to browse on sonos and play.
So many Alexa skills do not work on Sonos One!
Tired of companies pointing blame at each other and leaving customers with a half implemented beta.
I too have emailed MLB..........
The season has just started and we’re ready to play ball when MLB is. We are passionate about supporting MLB on Sonos, and we encourage you as a customer to reach out to them if it’s something you feel passionate about as well.

Can you explain your understanding of the issue? MLB Customer Service called me and said they had transitioned away from Flash and that Sonos' player was the problem. Is that accurate or not?

You say you're ready when MLB is — what does that mean?
This is really disappointing. I purchased two Play:1 devices a little less than a week ago, partially due to the expressed support of MLB Gameday Audio on the Sonos site. I am really enjoying these so far and I probably would still have purchased them without the Gameday Audio support, but please consider removing the reference from the Streaming Music section of the site until (hopefully) everyone decides they want to play nice together again. It's very misleading!
So disappointed -- never heard about this until tonight when wanting to listen to a game on opening day. Maybe I'll just use radio instead of giving MLB subscription money directly anymore.
I spoke with MLB advanced media support today and they informed me that Sonos is no longer supported for Game Day Audio streaming. I told him that was bunk, and to pass that complaint up, I mentioned i had been using it for years with no problem, and the lack of communication or transparency was shameful.

I requested he refund my subscription fee, which he did.

(866) 800-1275.

I am disgusted with MLB right now.
The season has just started and we’re ready to play ball when MLB is. We are passionate about supporting MLB on Sonos, and we encourage you as a customer to reach out to them if it’s something you feel passionate about as well.

Can you explain your understanding of the issue? MLB Customer Service called me and said they had transitioned away from Flash and that Sonos' player was the problem. Is that accurate or not?

You say you're ready when MLB is — what does that mean?

No, the Sonos player is using some variety of streaming audio format, not flash. I spoke with MLB today and they told me in no uncertain terms that Sonos is not a supported platform this year, and I didn't get the impression this was a fault or failure, it was a decision on their part.

They made no offer to resolve it, or escalate. I asked for a refund and they processed it immediately.

I don't expect movement on this.

The idea of getting a portable device and plugging it into my line in on one of my Sonos units gives me hives. I bought Sonos so I don't have to do raggedy stuff like that. I am VERY disappointed in MLB in how they made this choice, and the lack of transparency around it (Sonos was unaware of this situation when it happened, and it took us complaining about it to inform them)

That is not how you treat your partners if you have things together which MLBAM clearly doesn't.
TuneIn is launching a new premium ($3/mo. to $4/mo.) service -- TuneIn Live -- with deep Alexa integration and has deals with MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, as well as news outlets. I suspect there is a business deal involved between MLBAM and TuneIn.

Whereas Sonos was just another niche platform MLBAM had to support themselves -- I'm sure they have good analytics about what platforms their users are listening on -- and it clearly isn't a big deal given the reports above of how quickly MLBAM is refunding when Sonos is mentioned.

Sonos doesn't do very much/anything for most of the third party services, they have an older semi-public API and a new more open API (that's still in an invite only state). There's no revenue stream for either Sonos or a content producer to develop, support, maintain a Sonos muisc/audio service, so for either organization to invest time, people, resources each has to decide it's worth it to them.
As near as I can tell, that new service from TuneIn and Amazon launched yesterday. Has anyone tried to sign up and use it through their Sonos? I’d be fascinated if it did stream through Sonos.
I thought it was just going to be a spring training problem from MLB. Their audio subscription service has always been a stepchild of their offerings. I've had it for like 10 yrs, and a few times it hasn't worked even on their website for weeks at a time to start spring training. MLB is also (as we all know) primarily motivated by money. Its why they do dumb stuff like Interleague Play, and always thinking of expanding the playoffs with even more wild cards. Good old Bud got them started on this train, and we're all kinda stuck.

I've appreciated the ability to listen to this on Sonos for years, and I'm hopeful that they will see the light. But pressure is going to be required. I've also reached out to MLB, but the customer service reps are not the answer for the pressure. We need to find some VP types to get the right leverage. Also banding together in some group would be good and working on PR will also likely help.
I signed up for a free trial of Tune In Premium to give it a try on Sonos and guess what?

LAST UPDATE: MAR 29 2018 10:33AM
TuneIn Live is not currently available at launch on some third party Alexa-enabled devices like the Sonos One. We are actively working to get more devices enabled every day.

this suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks......... :@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@
Another frustrated Sonos owner who bought 2 speakers because of the advertised of the MLB gameday capability. After reading through these posts and viewing this notice https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/mlb.com-gameday-audio-on-sonos , I'm not sure what the specific issue is. Is it that MLB doesn't want Sonos users to stream the game over their home speakers? Is it a technology issue and Sonos is not updating their systems? Is it a money issue somehow?
Very disappointed that I am unable to stream games like I have in the past. I emailed and called MLB for a refund after learning that I was unable to steam games through the sonos app. Because I purchased the app through apple they were unable to refund me. Will not be renewing in the future. Very poor service from MLB.
So annoying. The mlb app has tradutionally been one of my most-listened to apps in the summer. I stream it throughout my house and outside so Incan keep up with my out of market team. I have been a mlb tv subscriber Since the days of dial up. What a bunch of hacks.
My guess is Sonos is unwilling to pay what MLB demands. Makes Sonos much less interesting. Pony up, Sonos!
MLB no longer wants your business if you own a Sonos system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You should check to verify, but I believe Sirius XM radio owns the national license to broadcast MLB games. Not a big baseball fan myself, but I catch some NBA games there.

On second thought, you may want to check with mlb online or your local team for how to access games. I'm sure they know the best answer.
I find it odd that they still offer the choice in their desktop and mobile apps to select MLB.com Gameday audio if it isn't a supported Music Service. I also sent an email to MLB but I guess I have to buy a bluetooth speaker to listen to games on the porch this year. 😞
I just spoke with MLB this afternoon. After 4 emails and 2 phone calls, I finally got a bit of an answer. They said the change was due to a system upgrade that they made this year. The customer service rep who I spoke with said that they have received 30 calls today from Sonos users specifically. Keep calling. Maybe the community can make a difference and they will help bring it to resolution. 866.800.1275.
....Keep calling. Maybe the community can make a difference and they will help bring it to resolution. 866.800.1275.[/quote]

I will call and complain but I can't help but think this is a financial negotiation between Sonos and MLB for content rights. If Sonos keeps the app up, makes it look like they are trying to be the good guys.
I have contacted MLB, also. This is a HUGE disappointment. I not only use the Sonos to stream the game audio to wherever I happen to be in my home when I can't sit in front of the TV to watch, but sometimes I listen to that audio instead of the TV broadcast audio. (Hello, fellow Red Sox fans in this thread... wonder if any of you do the same.)

So, if you've come to this thread for the same reason the rest of us have, keep letting MLB know about it. Maybe this actually will get resolved.
I hope the moderator is reporting the high level of discontent back to the c-suite. Sad that nobody from Sonos will tell us exactly what’s going on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I hope the moderator is reporting the high level of discontent back to the c-suite. Sad that nobody from Sonos will tell us exactly what’s going on.
The team has been aware since we first heard about this in late February. Personally, I've posted twice explaining what happened, including the tagged answer. Should anything change, we will relay that update here.

Hello everyone. Thanks for posting about this. Last week, MLB reached out to their customers via E-mail saying that Gameday Audio will no longer be available for the 2018 season on Sonos. Our team is actively working with them, however, we do not have any new details to share. If we have any more news, we’ll make sure to let you know here. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to reach out to MLB directly on this one for clarity.
Keith - a number of people here have done exactly that and they offer no "clarity". They just told me 30 minutes ago that the "device was no longer supported." I can tell you that Sonos is a whole lot less valuable to me if you don't have MLB Gameday Audio. You want us to pressure MLB but I think it is Sonos' responsibility to tell us what it going on.