Answered

MLB.com GameDay Audio & Sonos

Show first post

138 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Is anyone able to access mlb audio via mlb.tv app on appletv? I can't, says my account is not authorized even though I subscribe and am able to listen on my iPad/phone. I still need to call mlb on this one.
The line out from the iPad to the play5 works, but is cumbersome- and the volume levels on all grouped speakers seems low, I have to crank them up.
I am seriously thinking about purchasing a Sirius radio and activating a streaming account just to listen to the games on sonos.
Since Spring Training games started I have been getting a message that says "There are no games available today." My MLB account is up-to-date and I'm able to play the games from the MLB app, just not through Sonos. I removed the MLB service from Sonos and reinstalled it and get the same message.
I am having the same issue, Sonos please help!
Userlevel 1
This is garbage. I just submitted a note via the MLB contact us link (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp). Make sure you spend the minute to do so and tell MLB you'll cancel your subscription without Sonos support. The more noise they receive the more likely they might listen to their customers. 😠
If this isn't resolved, I will most certainly cancel my MLB.tv subscription. TBH, I listen to games via Sonos far more than I watch out-of-market games on the MLB.tv app.
I emailed MLB, and I hope everyone else will contact them too. I don't want to have to subscribe to Sirius. I also don't want to be draining my phone battery carrying it around the house to listen to the games. Here's the link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp
Thanks for this thread. I just emailed MLB too.
Just emailed and then called support to get their side of the story. CSR could not find anything about SONOS so cancelled my subscription. I can always add back but for now they know they lost my business until its fixed. Thanks for the thread.
I keep following this thread to see if anyone gets an explanation from MLB as to why they dropped this ability. It just doesn’t make sense. Granted, I suspect the percentage of total use through Sonos probably isn’t huge, but why cut it off?
Userlevel 1
I filed my complaint. I never received an email either. The services keep dropping with Sonos, no matter whose fault it is
Userlevel 1
Not surprising, I got the same message back from MLB:

Thank you for contacting MLB.com

We do apologize for any inconvenience however, MLB.TV will not be available on Sonos devices for the 2018 season. For a full list of supported devices, visit MLB.TV.

If you have any additional questions, please reply to this email or contact Customer Service at 866-800-1275 (US) or 512-434-1542 (International).

Regards,

MLB.com

Translation: BS.
My action: Cancel my MLB At Bat subscription
I cancelled my subscriptions and sent an email. Maybe the ship has already sailed on this, but maybe if they hear from enough people they will address the issue. I'm hoping someone from sonos can update us on what is going on from their end.
Userlevel 1
I cancelled my subscriptions and sent an email. Maybe the ship has already sailed on this, but maybe if they hear from enough people they will address the issue. I'm hoping someone from sonos can update us on what is going on from their end.

I cancelled my subscriptions moments ago. If nothing else, I am disgusted with MLB and took away my two cents from them.
Is there any new news about this? I would cancel my subscription but it's my only way to listen to games since I don't have an actual radio anymore. (Reds games are broadcast on an AM radio station & it's blocked on other streaming options)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
TuneIn Premium has all the MLB games as well, I believe (and I think both teams' feeds are available too)... looks like there's at least some pre-season game coverage (MLB on TuneIn). You still won't be able to listen through Sonos, since TuneIn Premium isn't supported, but at least it won't be MLB getting your money. Plus you'll get other sports as well (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, Soccer) and some college sports too (no specific conferences mentioned). $10/mo or $100/yr.
Not just a sonos issue. Even using the MLB site, archived audio is no longer available. When I contacted MLB I got this reply
"For the 2018 season we are happy to announce that we have launched a brand new, full definition 60 frames per second HTML player. Adobe flash is no longer required to view MLB.TV. Due to this and other improvements, previous season archives are not available currently in the MLB.TV Media Player. Audio archives are currently unavailable. "
That's some improvement - they are "happy" to tell me the service I used to have now doesn't work at all. It is said like they think I ought to be grateful. I've cancelled my subscription until I can listen to recorded games - if they can be bothered to fix it ever. I suspect they only care about pushing the tv subscription. If a few audio subscribers cancel while a few others upgrade to the tv package, they won't lose any revenue.
Been DMing MLBatBat support on Twitter. They will not give an answer as to why they stopped availability on Sonos. Keep giving me a link to devises that support it.
Here is the email response I received when I inquired about listening on Sonos:

Thank you for contacting MLB.com

We do apologize for any inconvenience however, MLB.TV will not be available on Sonos devices for the 2018 season. For a full list of supported devices, visit MLB.TV.

If you have any additional questions, please reply to this email or contact Customer Service at 866-800-1275 (US) or 512-434-1542 (International).

Regards,

MLB.com
Userlevel 2
Badge
I contacted customer service, too. No response yet. Likely a money grab by MLB. Some people will likely pay for SiriusXM to get audio and MLB TV to get video. They are basically giving away the audio with the video, so they aren't incentivized to support any devises really. They make more money if the TV app is essentially TV only.
I received a voicemail from MLB support (after filing a support case) saying that Sonos is not currently compatible with the updates they (MLB) made to the media player. But to keep checking for updates. Is that an improvement to the situation, or just a change in their messaging?

Is Sonos planning an update to work with the changes at MLB?
Has anyone tried using the mlb skill on Alexa and then playing the audio on sonos speakers? Interested to hear if there are other options.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
OP here, and so is opening day. How pathetic this hasn't been resolved.

Well, I guess we should enjoy baseball while we can. MLB is so poorly led and managed, they're going to have to start eliminating teams in a few years. They have no vision for their product at all. America's PAST pastime.
I just called MLB Cust Service to cancel. Interesting, I wasn't even asked why i wanted to cancel...she just cancelled me, processed my refund and wished me a nice day. They don't seem to care about losing the Sonos population, I guess. Maybe I'll try Sirius/XM to get my RedSox...at least until THAT stops working. OR, maybe OLD SCHOOL and put my AM/FM receive line-out into my Connect:AMP
I use TuneIn premium to listen to baseball, but Sonos doesn’t support it either. So I string a cable between my Mac and the line-in on a PLAY:5.

Works quite well, but I sure wish Sonos could add a new service for TuneIn Premium.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The season has just started and we’re ready to play ball when MLB is. We are passionate about supporting MLB on Sonos, and we encourage you as a customer to reach out to them if it’s something you feel passionate about as well.