Answered

MLB.com GameDay Audio & Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm able to watch and listen to spring training games that started at 1:00 pm EST today at MLB.com, but when I tried to use the MLB.com Gameday Audio service on my Sonos One (using the PC desktop controller and both versions of the phone app), it tells me "there are no games available today."

I can also watch and listen using the MLB.com app on phone and tablet, so this seems to be a Sonos-only problem.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 4 May 2018, 02:26

Hello everyone! Glad to share some good news regarding MLB, Sonos, and Alexa.

Just as Chris shared, the team has been hard at work to bring full support to 20 of the most requested audio skills for Amazon Alexa on Sonos One. One of these supported Alexa skills is MLB At-Bat. This means that if you have a Sonos One, you can use your MLB At-Bat account to bring all the baseball action to your Sonos system this season.

Should we get any more information on how else to enjoy MLB on Sonos, I will be certain to reach out here.
View original

138 replies

Userlevel 1
It's not just you. I reported this to sonos via twitter. They say they're working with MLB to resolve.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks for the quick reply. I only got my Sonos a few weeks ago, and I've been looking forward to listening to the games with it.I can while a while longer...
Same problem here
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting about this. Last week, MLB reached out to their customers via E-mail saying that Gameday Audio will no longer be available for the 2018 season on Sonos. Our team is actively working with them, however, we do not have any new details to share. If we have any more news, we’ll make sure to let you know here. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to reach out to MLB directly on this one for clarity.
Userlevel 1
Thank you for the reply, Keith. I find it odd that as an MLB customer, I hadn't received this email.
I also find it further troubling, that as a partner with MLB, that they didn't notify Sonos that this service was no longer being supported so that you could remove it from your website as a supported provider before Spring Training. I'll note that it's still being listed prominently on sonos.com.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I didn't receive an email about it either.

Well, no one ever accused MLB of good communications—or of making good decisions.
Why can I not get today's spring training game on MLB Gameday Audio through Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Would switching to XM Radio be a good option. Usually they will offer pretty good deals that are like in the $100 a year range. They carry all the games as well don't they (and available on Sonos).
I do have Sirius and enjoy the games on there. I had to buy the Internet streaming piece for four bucks a month in addition to my subscription.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Seems to be a better value then the mlb subscription.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
But you can also watch the games with an MLB.com subscription.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ah that makes more sense
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is unbelievable. I listen to every Yankee radio broadcast throughout the house/porch/pool on sonos, so this is devastating news to me. I wonder if the Alexa mlb skill will work? I could also use the mlb app on the Apple TV as the source. I will also look into the Sirius subscription if that would work. I hope this gets sorted out.
I emailed MLB, and I hope everyone else will contact them too. I don't want to have to subscribe to Sirius. I also don't want to be draining my phone battery carrying it around the house to listen to the games. Here's the link: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If it works on Alexa it should be able to then via that. Good option thx.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here's what I have found:
1. Alexa will not play the radio broadcast on any sonos speakers. I can get the echo show/dot to play the broadcast, but not on any other of the sonos rooms when requested.
2. When listening to the broadcast via the mlb app on my phone, then try to AirPlay to the tv, the broadcast stream is unable to play.
3. The Sirius xm subscription that includes streaming the mlb radio broadcasts requires the service to be activated on a Sirius radio. You cannot just have the streaming service and get the mlb games.
4. The mlb app on the Apple TV tells me my account is not authorized to listen to the radio broadcasts. I can, however, listen on my iPad/phone with my membership. Maybe something specific to the Apple TV app, I will need to call mlb on this one.
5. I used a line-in on my play5 from the iPad playing the broadcast on the mlb app. This works, but volume needs to be way up on all the sonos.

I hope this get worked out soon - season opener at s 4/29...
Just received my Alexa Echo Show here in Canada. I am now able to play mlb game day audio without using my phone. Works great. I was using mlb on Sonos for years. I don't what the problem is, and it's an expensive workaround, but i'm happy and back in business. I still hope Sonos works this out. Mlb must be pissed at them for some reason.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Were you able to tell Alexa to play the mlb game on your sonos? I am able to play the broadcast on the echo show via the mlb skill - but when I ask to play in the kitchen, living room, porch, etc (sonos) nothing happens...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
TuneIn Premium would probably be another option for listening to all live sports through Sonos, if Sonos supported it... but they don't.
You have got to be kidding me. No Audible. Now no MLB. This is ridiculous.
Note that both Audible and MLB are the responsibility of their respective companies, not Sonos. I'm sure Sonos is equally unhappy as we all are in that the data isn't on their speakers.
Were you able to tell Alexa to play the mlb game on your sonos? I am able to play the broadcast on the echo show via the mlb skill - but when I ask to play in the kitchen, living room, porch, etc (sonos) nothing happens...

No, just the show. I believe it will only cast music services to the sonos. I gather MLB is not on this list.
I spoke with two separate reps with MLB customer service. They did not even know what a Sonos was. Useless. Many games will be available streaming with the TuneIn app and your radio station depending on blackout restrictions.
I spoke with MLB Customer Service this morning (after I discovered I couldn't play the Red Sox over my Sonos system and checking here). The gentleman I spoke with knew about MLB on Sonos and said Sonos informed MLB that they wouldn't accept the MLB feed in their app this year. I understand there are two-sides to every story - but I am finding it hard to see the 'truth' in the middle on this one - seems pretty binary.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos seemed pretty surprised for it being something they "told" MLB they weren't able to do. If I remember specifically Sonos had some changes to firmware a couple years ago to conform to MLB standards. Sounds like MLB at last minute changed their transmission standard again. I could see MLB telling Sonos last minute that they changed their transmission type and someone at Sonos telling them - that won't work on Sonos.