Meet SYMFONISK, IKEA speakers built with Sonos

• 2 August 2019
  • 55 replies

Show first post

55 replies

Is it possible to add Symfonisk speakers to a Sonos household running an outdated Sonos software version or would the attempt to do so result in a mandatory system update process?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi passopp, you'll need to update your system to add them. Strictly speaking, if you were to try and add them on older software without updating, the software wouldn't even know what they are or what to do with them other than try and update to figure it out.
That's fine with me, thank you.

Can't wait to see two of the lamp speakers lighting up my hallway. 🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks Ryan. I didn't really expect you could answer all of these just yet.

It would also be really cool if the fabric around the speaker (lamp) itself could be replaced with different options. The lamps have a rather modern look, which fits with ikea furniture pretty well, but perhaps not to everyone's taste. Different colors, perhaps a floral or marble pattern, would make it more attractive in a wider variety of spaces.
Sonos UK Website

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/ideas/listen-to-the-sound-of-ikea-and-sonos-1364684982830/
Fantastic news - really looking forward to getting these as additional units to our existing Sonos household.

The shelf will go in our small cloakroom: we want a shelf in there and a Sonos speaker, so this product is perfect!

The lamp speaker in each of our spare bedrooms - one power cord and no extra 'stuff' as it just looks like a lamp.

I hope to see bathroom compatible ones soon and maybe even standalone outdoor ones.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Anyone managed to find the dimensions of just the speaker. Just wondering how they'll look as rear surrounds hung on the wall. Cheers
Badge
"Use the Sonos app for iOS to tune SYMFONISK speakers with Trueplay to customize the sound for your unique living space."

Really!? Apple pandering is strong with this one. Where is the Android love..in general. pre Google Assistant.. where is it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Saw this article that talks about the new ikea speakers starting to show up in Polish ikea stores. This is surely a case where the stock was put out too early, as there is no way that the speakers will work until Sonos gives the official software release. However, it's a good show of confidence that the speakers will be released in August as originally planned. I'm thinking early August, although I don't know where these speakers are made (Sweden? China?) or how long it takes to ship from factory to retail.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
some of the images in this review show the speakers near things that will help give an idea of the size.

https://gizmodo.com/ikeas-100-sonos-speaker-breaks-the-mold-1836668364
There's a review video up on Engadget as well. Pretty positive.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
In the U.S. you have to actually go in the store to order.

Not available online. At least for the two stores in the Dallas area.

Doesn’t seem like a well thought out sales plan.😡

Lamps out of stock.

Some bookshelf speakers available.

In the U.S. you have to actually go in the store to order.
Not available online or for sale in the stores. At least for the two stores in the Dallas area.

Doesn’t seem like a well thought out sales plan.😡

In Europe as well. However, the lamp is worth the exercise. The local Ikea store has the lamp in stock although only in white. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@k9kids, today's the first day of availability in stores and the online purchasing hasn't been enabled yet. They'll be available online in the future.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks Ryan.

It is 40 mile trip over there. Think I’ll wait a bit until things settle down.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
@k9kids here in the NYC metro area

Brooklyn has close to 150 in stock
Paramus has 15 today and 65+ tomorrow.

odd

i need to go to Brooklyn to get some rugs that are not in stock at Paramus which is an easier drive and two miles closer - the drive to Brooklyn has to go thru the city and even only 2 miles further can take almost twice as long.

will probably pick one up if i make it there this weekend.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
link to Lamp

link to speaker
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Does anyone know what the uPnP model names and numbers are for the two new devices? If you're handy with a Unix command line you can find out using:

curl -s http://192.168.0.32:1400/xml/device_description.xml | grep -m 1 modelName
curl -s http://192.168.0.32:1400/xml/device_description.xml | grep -m 1 modelNumber

Replace the IP address above with the IP address of a Symfonisk device.

If someone could run this against their Symfonisk speakers and report back, it would be helpful ... thanks.
Can I pair Symphonsik speakers with Play:1 and or Play ONE, as a stereo Pair?
Can I pair Symphonsik speakers with Play:1 and or Play ONE, as a stereo Pair?
No, only 'like for like' Speakers can be stereo paired.

There are 3rd party Apps mentioned online that may do such pairing, but it’s not something officially supported and may invalidate any warranty or Sonos support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So I was thinking I'd make the trek to my 'local' ikea just to get a listen to these The bookshelf appears to be in stock, but the lamp is...

Only available by order with delivery where delivery fees apply at IKEA TX, Houston

Does anybody have ikea shopping experience and know what that means? Does look like you can buy online now, but I'd perfer to hear it in a store before head. Maybe I'll just buy it online and return if I'm not liking it. Looks like ikea has a 1 year return policy.

Then again, it might be worth a trip to the store anyway. It's been 4 or 5 years since I stepped into an ikea, so there's a good chance there's some new thing in there I didn't even know I needed in my life.
I’ll slip over to Round Rock this afternoon, and see what they have.
Some of these light/speakers look like sex toys.

Was that intentional?
That would be a question to ask IKEA. Sonos didn't design the outer aspects, just the components that fit inside.
Nice, any idea if these will enable Airplay2 on older Sonos hardware?
Ive got several Play:1s and a Play:5, from what I understand, adding the newer Sonos One model, would give me airplay2 thru-out the rest of my Sonos set-up.
Wondering if these IKEA versions would do the same?