Hardware News

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Show first post

364 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your rely @James L. 

I can’t help but feel disappointed. When my Roams were on pre-order I knew that there would be a problem with battery drain if I used GA but I was prepared to take this on-board as a fix has been promised and it’s easy enough to charge them up overnight each day. However, to now lose Trueplay on my Move (which I’ve had for almost a couple of years) is really unsatisfactory particularly as it worked well (with GA) in the past. It moves between my patio, garden and kitchen but without Trueplay it sounds flat and relatively lifeless, wherever it sits.

I’ve also spent several hours this last weekend trying to resolve this issue and now discover that the guidance I was following, provided by Sonos, is ‘not valid’.  I hope you understand why I’m disappointed that my latest purchases not only fail to work as advertised but have messed up part of my existing system.

Still learning how to get the best from my Roams but this morning I noticed that on both, Trueplay (which I originally set up and it appeared to be working) is now greyed out in menu settings. I haven’t changed anything so can’t figure out why the option has disappeared...

Spent some considerable time researching this in an attempt to sort it out myself. I found guidance on the Sonos Trueplay guide that said Auto Trueplay is disabled when using a Move with Google Assistant in Bluetooth mode, something I tried yesterday. The guide went on to say that it can be re-enabled by removing GA, enabling Trueplay and adding GA back. I've tried this several times on my Move and Roams but every time I reinstall GA, Trueplay disappears. Can @James L. or anyone offer any advice please?

Hi @radiomike,

Unfortunately, due to external issues, Auto Trueplay is disabled when Google Assistant is active on Roam and Move. This is a recent change (20th April) and the guidance from the Trueplay article is not valid at the moment. Rest assured, we’re working on getting this functionality restored, but we don’t have any further information to share at this time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still learning how to get the best from my Roams but this morning I noticed that on both, Trueplay (which I originally set up and it appeared to be working) is now greyed out in menu settings. I haven’t changed anything so can’t figure out why the option has disappeared...

Spent some considerable time researching this in an attempt to sort it out myself. I found guidance on the Sonos Trueplay guide that said Auto Trueplay is disabled when using a Move with Google Assistant in Bluetooth mode, something I tried yesterday. The guide went on to say that it can be re-enabled by removing GA, enabling Trueplay and adding GA back. I've tried this several times on my Move and Roams but every time I reinstall GA, Trueplay disappears. Can @James L. or anyone offer any advice please?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can you leave the usb C lead plugged into the Roam full time when you’re not moving the speaker around? As a permanent bathroom speaker for example? Would that be bad for the battery? Thanks!

I see you can create stereo pair, is that WiFi only or can be done that also be done when Bluetooth away from home?

Wifi only, sadly.  I was going to buy two for stereo over Bluetooth, but now I won't.

Userlevel 2

Also received (UK) today, it’s a lovely little thing, slightly disappointed it’s grey rather than white but it’s a very light grey so no biggie.

One thing I’ve noticed is it comes out of sleep mode whenever the SONOS App is opened which is not ideal if playing music elsewhere in the house as I imagine it will run down the battery. Has anyone else noticed this? It can be fully turned off but that’s a bit fiddly so would prefer not to have to do that.

That’s correct, both Move and Roam do this. It’s by design to ensure there is little to no delay between opening the app and being able to target playback to that speaker. When the Roam or Move powers on this way and is not targeted for playback, it will be in a low power state, so battery drain will be kept to a minimum. Rest assured, you shouldn’t see any negative effects from the Roam waking like this.

Also received (UK) today, it’s a lovely little thing, slightly disappointed it’s grey rather than white but it’s a very light grey so no biggie.

One thing I’ve noticed is it comes out of sleep mode whenever the SONOS App is opened which is not ideal if playing music elsewhere in the house as I imagine it will run down the battery. Has anyone else noticed this? It can be fully turned off but that’s a bit fiddly so would prefer not to have to do that.

That’s correct, both Move and Roam do this. It’s by design to ensure there is little to no delay between opening the app and being able to target playback to that speaker. When the Roam or Move powers on this way and is not targeted for playback, it will be in a low power state, so battery drain will be kept to a minimum. Rest assured, you shouldn’t see any negative effects from the Roam waking like this.

All due respect, but people are pointing out the “negative effects” of your decision to have the Roam wake up every time someone uses the app.  The “negative effects” are that you either have to go back each time to make sure to turn the thing back off, or you have to keep it plugged in 100% of the time.  The alternative is that you wake up in the morning (like I did today) and the speaker has gone from 100% to 6% overnight.

Why not just let people either turn it on when they want to use it, by pushign the button, or activate it through the app?  I have five other Sonos products in my house and am constantly using the app to tune in radio stations, or play music, or podcasts, or whatever.  The Roam only needs to turn it on when I want to use the Roam, not when I want to listen to music on my Move or whatever.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

how many devices can roam remember with Bluetooth?

Roam can remember up to 8 devices.

could it Bluetooth pair to an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop?

Yes, but not simultaneously.

Also, I assume it is not multipoint?

Roam connects to one device at a time.

Great, thanks for the info 😀

Roam can remember up to 8 devices.

Yes, but not simultaneously.

Roam connects to one device at a time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Not sure I have seen this asked or the info…

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

sorry - my reply had lagged (as I now see hadalready responded).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks

Bruce - I think Jeffrey means the paid/premium high def version of Sonos Radio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Paid version of the Sonos controller? I wasn’t aware there was one?

Referring to Sonos HD Radio which he mentioned as well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Radio HD, my guess

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Maybe I have missed this somewhere, but does anyone know if the S2 app interface (with Sonos radio etc) can be used with roam in bluetooth mode when not on wifi ?

Daryl

Currently no. That is and has been a major request by yours truly and others. Especially the paid version which I have. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Maybe I have missed this somewhere, but does anyone know if the S2 app interface (with Sonos radio etc) can be used with roam in bluetooth mode when not on wifi ?

Daryl

How can I determine when my Roam will be shipped? Ordered on 3/19, status is ‘ordered’...

You’ll need to speak to our sales team to check the status of your current order. :slight_smile:

Badge +2

How can I determine when my Roam will be shipped? Ordered on 3/19, status is ‘ordered’...

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I have just bought a Sonos Roam, and I  would like to know if the Trueplay of the Roam coupled to my stereo pair of Play 5 in the same room, can also calibrate all 3 Sonos…..?
(I have no apple devices only android)

Short answer “No”

the auto TruePlay feature of Roam and Move is only for the speaker itself and does not tune other models.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Bought the Roam as a bathroom speaker and really happy with it for that purpose. One issue I am noticing is that I can manually turn the speaker off, but opening the Sonos app will awaken it - and keep it awake. This means the battery is draining much faster than I would like it to, is there a way to prevent it doing this? Or have it go to sleep? I access the Sonos app a fair amount for using other speakers.

Apologies if covered previously but answering my own question a little here...found the following article: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5029?language=en_US#:~:text=To%20place%20your%20Roam%20into,last%20up%20to%2010%20days.

Long press will prevent it waking up.

There should be a sleep mode button in the app itself.  The power button on the back is kind of dodgy -- since it has to be flat for waterproof purposes.  So it can be difficult to tell when you get a good press.  Or, if you use the app, it should ONLY power on the Roam if you target music to the Roam (not just generally turning on the app) -- I realize this can be difficult to implement, since if the speaker is offline, you can’t target it.  But there has to be a more efficient way to do this.  Maybe a wake/sleep button in the app itself.  

Badge
I have just bought a Sonos Roam, and I  would like to know if the Trueplay of the Roam coupled to my stereo pair of Play 5 in the same room, can also calibrate all 3 Sonos…..?
(I have no apple devices only android)

Bought the Roam as a bathroom speaker and really happy with it for that purpose. One issue I am noticing is that I can manually turn the speaker off, but opening the Sonos app will awaken it - and keep it awake. This means the battery is draining much faster than I would like it to, is there a way to prevent it doing this? Or have it go to sleep? I access the Sonos app a fair amount for using other speakers.

Apologies if covered previously but answering my own question a little here...found the following article: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5029?language=en_US#:~:text=To%20place%20your%20Roam%20into,last%20up%20to%2010%20days.

Long press will prevent it waking up.

Badge

Nice thing :-)
I would like to be able to set the speaker to WiFi under my home profile via BT, for example at a friend's home or vacation, and run all the set services where I will be.
Without a phone and its BT connection. Is there any way to do this?
When I connect to Roam via BT - it doesn't allow me to set up WiFi ..

HIFIpartner (CZ)

Feature set seems complete except for one that exists in competitor's products - the ability to group speakers over bluetooth (like PARTYUP on UE products or JBL Connect+). The Roam product page states that grouping can only be accomplished via WiFi. 

I hope that is not a hardware limitation and can possibly be enabled via software at some point. I pre-ordered two Roams and would love to have two or more of these bad boys working in concert wherever I decide to setup camp this summer!

This was one reason I bought two.

Any chance there will be an update that will allow a Roam stereo pair to connect to a Bluetooth device?  Especially an LG webOS TV.