Hardware News

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Show first post

364 replies

Has anyone managed to use “Switch Account” with Alexa on their Roam?

There’s two people in the house and we have our own Spotify accounts tied to our own Alexa profiles in one Amazon Household. I have the Sonos account so it defaults to my Alexa profile, which means that if we want to use Spotify on Roam other people (okay, my mum) has to AirPlay from her phone, and she’s in a very learned pattern of walking in and asking Alexa to play. 

I’ve tried disabling the Alexa Sonos Skill, and adding it to my mum’s Alexa account in the household. Switching accounts works perfectly on my Sonos Beam so I don’t think there’s an issue with the Alexa integration. Asking the Roam to Switch Account, it replies “I’m sorry, I can’t switch accounts right now”. All other Alexa functionality works, albeit from my profile.

Edited to highlight the use of Amazon Household Profiles

Userlevel 2
Badge

You will need to hold the power button for at least 1 second to turn it back on. 

Interesting, mine turns on with the briefest press I can manage.  This is from off and not standby.

When the Roam or Move powers on this way and is not targeted for playback, it will be in a low power state, so battery drain will be kept to a minimum. Rest assured, you shouldn’t see any negative effects from the Roam waking like this.

Well this design does not appear to be working. I’m seeing rapid battery drain. What is the point of having a power button if you can never really turn the speaker off?

You can turn the speaker off. You’re probably confusing sleep mode with off. Pressing the button once for a short time will put the Roam to sleep. This allows it to be woken by the app or by another short button press. Holding the power button for 7 seconds will power the Roam off completely. You will need to hold the power button for at least 1 second to turn it back on. 

When the Roam or Move powers on this way and is not targeted for playback, it will be in a low power state, so battery drain will be kept to a minimum. Rest assured, you shouldn’t see any negative effects from the Roam waking like this.

Well this design does not appear to be working. I’m seeing rapid battery drain. What is the point of having a power button if you can never really turn the speaker off?

Thank you so much I do have a smart hub 2 hopefully BT will sort it soon 

thanks for your help

And if it isn’t a BT Smart Hub 2, perhaps more information might be helpful to allow folks to understand and make a better analysis of what might be going on. Particulars, such as what software version your Sonos is on, S1 or S2, and which controller you’re using. What device you’re running the controller on, and what OS that device is running. What Sonos devices you have beyond just the Roam? How your Sonos is connected to your network, is it wired or wireless? Do you have a BOOST or BRIDGE? 

Edit: Forgot to ask about what kind of network you have, too. Is it a mesh, or a single point router? If it is a mesh, what brand is it, as it does make a difference as to figuring out what might be going on. 

Hi @Phoebebus

What kind of router do you have? Is it a BT Smart Hub 2? If so, have a read of this article and let me know how you get on.

Ever since we connected the roam to our system we have had endless problems with the app on various devices including i phone and i pad becoming un responsive. Constantly having to reset the router. Never had this issue before.

When we open the app the browse section just flashes numerous times and nothing happens

Anybody able to help with this issue 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You’re on the right track with that assumption. Roam will actually automatically pair back to the device that it was connected to most recently. So if you have 2 devices in range of Roam when switching to Bluetooth it will establish the connection with the device it was last connected to. If that device isn’t in range, it will check through its connection table (list of up to 8 devices it’s connected to previously) to see if any are in range.

For some reason, I always thought that the sending device determines the automatic connection.  I am looking at my phone settings, and although I can manually select which devices to connect to, I don’t see any auto connection option.  This is unlike WiFi, where I can set the phone to automatically connect when a WiFi network is present.

I have blue tooth headphones and speakers.   When I turn them on they automatically connect with whatever I had then paired with before (phone or laptop).  The bluetooth in my car connects with whatever phone it paired with last time (if it is there) or whatever paired phone it sees.  So if my wife used my car last time and we both are in the car when I start it I think it will connect to her phone.  My laptop will connect with the bluetooth mouse as soon as I turn it, or the mouse on.

Wifi is a different kind of animal.  With wifi you are joining an existing network with any number of devices using the wifi at the same time.  Bluetooth devices are typically a one-to-one connection.  My Bose headphones seem to connect to both my phone and my laptop.  But I am only able to listen to one or the other at any given time.

You’re on the right track with that assumption. Roam will actually automatically pair back to the device that it was connected to most recently. So if you have 2 devices in range of Roam when switching to Bluetooth it will establish the connection with the device it was last connected to. If that device isn’t in range, it will check through its connection table (list of up to 8 devices it’s connected to previously) to see if any are in range.

For some reason, I always thought that the sending device determines the automatic connection.  I am looking at my phone settings, and although I can manually select which devices to connect to, I don’t see any auto connection option.  This is unlike WiFi, where I can set the phone to automatically connect when a WiFi network is present.

Is the pull much stronger with the Sonos charger?   I wished I had paid more attention in physics...wondering if a thicker/bigger piece of metal than the fridge will hold it better.  Wondering if that’s why the charger works better, or perhaps the charger has a magnet with the opposite charge.

Yeah, the pull is much stronger with the Sonos charger, I can get mine to snap together by moving them around ¾” apart (horizontally) which leads me to believe that the charger also has magnets inside (still waiting on an answer for that from the product team).

Not because I don’t trust you, but I had to test the refrigerator myself.  I didn’t really notice anything.  Tried the refrigerator magnets as well...nothing.  It didn’t really stick to metal either, so I would guess there is a corresponding magnet in the charger to make it work.  And I suspect that there is maybe a magnet on each of the 3 sides, so that it aligns properly.  And for that reason, I don’t think other chargers will work right, even if the polarity matches up.

I suspect if you pair multiple devices it will pair up with whichever device it ‘sees’ first.  When I got my first Roam I tried Bluetooth pairing with my phone and then my laptop. It seemed to want to automatically connect to whichever it saw first. I had to temporarily disable Bluetooth on one device to get it to switch.  Then I deleted the pairing on my phone. I forgot I had left a pairing on the laptop. When I got my second Roam a couple of days later I set the pair up as stereo on Wi-Fi. The next two days I had trouble with the stereo pair going back to individual speakers each morning. Turns out I had left the laptop BT pairing enabled. When I turned the laptop on each morning the one speaker went back to Bluetooth mode. Was very confusing until I realized what had happened.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I suspect if you pair multiple devices it will pair up with whichever device it ‘sees’ first.  When I got my first Roam I tried Bluetooth pairing with my phone and then my laptop. It seemed to want to automatically connect to whichever it saw first. I had to temporarily disable Bluetooth on one device to get it to switch.  Then I deleted the pairing on my phone. I forgot I had left a pairing on the laptop. When I got my second Roam a couple of days later I set the pair up as stereo on Wi-Fi. The next two days I had trouble with the stereo pair going back to individual speakers each morning. Turns out I had left the laptop BT pairing enabled. When I turned the laptop on each morning the one speaker went back to Bluetooth mode. Was very confusing until I realized what had happened.

I am looking at Roam.  It says it hooks up automatically to Bluetooh or WiFi.  If we have two phones with buletooth enabled, can I control which one in connects to?  If so how.  I am thinking of a situation where we are in the car with both phones on and would like to play the music on the Roam.  

Gordon

Using the phone you want to connect to, go to the list of available bluetooth devices you can connect to, then connect it.  I don’t think the auto bluetooth pairing will work for a speaker that is already paired to a different device.

I am looking at Roam.  It says it hooks up automatically to Bluetooh or WiFi.  If we have two phones with buletooth enabled, can I control which one in connects to?  If so how.  I am thinking of a situation where we are in the car with both phones on and would like to play the music on the Roam.  

Gordon

Is the pull much stronger with the Sonos charger?   I wished I had paid more attention in physics...wondering if a thicker/bigger piece of metal than the fridge will hold it better.  Wondering if that’s why the charger works better, or perhaps the charger has a magnet with the opposite charge.

Yeah, the pull is much stronger with the Sonos charger, I can get mine to snap together by moving them around ¾” apart (horizontally) which leads me to believe that the charger also has magnets inside (still waiting on an answer for that from the product team).

Thanks James, that makes sense.    Now I’m wondering if the Roam can stick on to the refrigerator.

You had me curious, so I just tested it :joy: I could feel a little pull, but definitely not enough to hold it there :smile:

Lol, I was wishing I was home to give it a try to,  Kind of what I expected. Might be helpful if placed on the top of the fridge, but won’t hold the full wait if placed on the side. 

Thanks James, that makes sense.    Now I’m wondering if the Roam can stick on to the refrigerator.

You had me curious, so I just tested it :joy: I could feel a little pull, but definitely not enough to hold it there :smile:

So, the magnets are indeed inside the base of Roam, so my assumptions on whether a charger with inbuilt magnets would repel roam seem justified. As to your other point about mounting Roam with magnets, the guidance is that you should not use magnets to mount the Roam in that way. The magnets used to align the Qi charger with the base of the Roam are strong enough to keep the charger in place, but weak enough not to cause interference with the internal components of Roam. Therefore, it’s not recommended to use magnets stronger than that or in a place that wouldn’t normally have them (i.e. anywhere other than the base of Roam).

Can the Roam be used with a magnetic Qi such as this?  Since the Sonos Qi charger attaches by magnet, just wondering if any magnet charger can be used on the bottom of the Roam without damage.

Actually, expanding on the question, can a regular, not charging magnet be use to hold the Roam in place?

From the quick look I’ve had at that charger, I feel like it may repel the Roam away. I believe the magnets are actually contained inside the Roam itself, and if the magsafe magnets in that charger are the same polarity it may just push the Roam away. I’m not 100% certain on that fact, so I’m going to reach out to our engineers to confirm. As for adding an external, regular magnet to keep Roam in place, that’s not something I’d recommend with any Sonos unit, but I’ll confirm for sure from our engineers out of curiosity :slight_smile:

Thanks James.  I’m just thinking if there’s a way magnets can be used to mount the Roam on a wall.  Some sort of floating shelf idea.  It would be nice if it can charge wirelessly at the same time, but not necessary for my use.

Sonos wireless charger is surely the best option, but I am hesitant to spend $50 ($100 for 2) and wait till June if I don’t have to.

So, the magnets are indeed inside the base of Roam, so my assumptions on whether a charger with inbuilt magnets would repel roam seem justified. As to your other point about mounting Roam with magnets, the guidance is that you should not use magnets to mount the Roam in that way. The magnets used to align the Qi charger with the base of the Roam are strong enough to keep the charger in place, but weak enough not to cause interference with the internal components of Roam. Therefore, it’s not recommended to use magnets stronger than that or in a place that wouldn’t normally have them (i.e. anywhere other than the base of Roam).

Can the Roam be used with a magnetic Qi such as this?  Since the Sonos Qi charger attaches by magnet, just wondering if any magnet charger can be used on the bottom of the Roam without damage.

Actually, expanding on the question, can a regular, not charging magnet be use to hold the Roam in place?

From the quick look I’ve had at that charger, I feel like it may repel the Roam away. I believe the magnets are actually contained inside the Roam itself, and if the magsafe magnets in that charger are the same polarity it may just push the Roam away. I’m not 100% certain on that fact, so I’m going to reach out to our engineers to confirm. As for adding an external, regular magnet to keep Roam in place, that’s not something I’d recommend with any Sonos unit, but I’ll confirm for sure from our engineers out of curiosity :slight_smile:

Thanks James.  I’m just thinking if there’s a way magnets can be used to mount the Roam on a wall.  Some sort of floating shelf idea.  It would be nice if it can charge wirelessly at the same time, but not necessary for my use.

Sonos wireless charger is surely the best option, but I am hesitant to spend $50 ($100 for 2) and wait till June if I don’t have to.

I received my Roam over weekend.  It sounds great but it’s been plugged in for over 24 hours and is only at 43% charged!?  

It’s taking an hour to go up a percentage or two.  I’m assuming something faulty as I can’t see how it’s a user error.

What charger are you using? What is the power plug rated to? We require a minimum of 7.5W, but ideally you should use a plug rated for 10-15W+ to ensure consistent charging. If you’re sure your plug is rated high enough, get in touch with our customer care team who can take a look at your diagnostic reports to see how much power the Roam is receiving.

I received my Roam over weekend.  It sounds great but it’s been plugged in for over 24 hours and is only at 43% charged!?  

It’s taking an hour to go up a percentage or two.  I’m assuming something faulty as I can’t see how it’s a user error.  If anyone else has had trouble getting theirs to charge would be great to hear if any quick fix.  Otherwise sending back for replacement.

Also was on hold TWICE with tech support of over 25 minutes and then would just be disconnected!!  ugh.  Come on Sonos...get your IT support act together.