Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Related products: Hardware News
Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

We’re happy to introduce you all to Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker built to deliver great sound at home and on any adventure. Fully connected to your Sonos system on WiFi at home and automatically switching to Bluetooth when you’re on the go, Roam’s powerful, adaptable sound defies expectations for a speaker of its size. Effortless set-up and control and new smart features make it easier than ever to enjoy music and more from anywhere. Weighing less than a pound (450g), Roam’s elegant yet durable design is perfect for your home, the backyard, and wherever you go.

Get to know Sonos Roam

A simultaneous connection to both WiFi and Bluetooth makes streaming wherever you are seamless. When you’re listening at home Roam connects to your system and streams on WiFi, and when you leave it intuitively switches to Bluetooth and automatically re-pairs with your mobile device.

With an all-new feature called Sound Swap, you can hold the play/pause button on the speaker to switch the music to the nearest speaker on your system, making it easy to move music from room-to-room.

Sonos Roam (left) and Sonos Move (right)

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth. Roam works with more than 100 streaming services, including Sonos Radio, and is easily controlled with the Sonos app, your voice with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, Apple AirPlay 2, or directly from your favorite music service app.

Roam was created to deliver an incredible sound experience no matter where you are. Like all Sonos products, Roam was tuned by industry leaders across music and film to ensure the speaker reproduces content exactly how the creator intended. A carefully designed acoustic architecture delivers rich, detailed sound with the clarity, depth, and fullness you’d expect from a larger speaker.

Automatic Trueplay is now available when streaming via Bluetooth as well as Wi-Fi, and means Roam is always tuned for the best listening experience in any environment.

Available in shadow black or lunar white, Roam’s tactile triangular shape and soft profile is comfortable to pick up and looks great inside the home. Combining elegance and durability, Roam is dust proof and fully waterproof with a rigorously tested IP67 rating, and features silicone end caps and physical buttons to protect against drops or bumps.

Roam is ready for any adventure with up to 10 hours of continuous playback on a single charge and up to 10 days of battery life when not in use.

To recharge, Roam connects to a custom magnetic wireless charger from Sonos sold separately, any Qi wireless charger, or with the USB-C cable included in the box.

Sonos Roam

Roam’s compact size will fit into any bag or the smallest corner of your living space. Listeners can place Roam vertically for a smaller footprint or horizontally to provide added stability on uneven surfaces outdoors. Even the packaging leaves a light footprint, with a structure that is made of 100% sustainably-sourced paper, minimizes the use of inks, and includes no single-use plastics. 

Roam is available starting April 20 for $169, €179, £159, NOK1799, SEK1999, DKK1349. You can pre-order today on sonos.com.

Great looking product.  Would like to pre-order one, but it doesn’t appear the pre-order link is working.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam.html

If the sound matches the look it will be a winner!

FYI - It doesn’t appear the pre-order link is working.

Hi @Mike Ca 

Thanks for your interest in Roam! I’d give it a little time to get online, we’re just now releasing all the appropriate pages for Roam. :relaxed:

Best,

Ditte

Pre order page uk not working either

I see you can create stereo pair, is that WiFi only or can be done that also be done when Bluetooth away from home?

Impressive!

How’s its power compared to a One/SL/Play1? And its sound?

Does it work with any Qi charger?

Looks great. Much smaller than I expected it to be though. Looking forward to hearing one - feature set looks good. 

So of course, I got questions.

If you long press play/pause on the Roam when it’s not playing music, will it join a group that’s currently playing music in your system?

Will the Roam be able to perform the rear surround duties in a home theatre room ? (pretty sure it’s no, but asking anyway)

What is the voltage/amps of the charger?  Can it be charged with a typical phone or tablet charging setup?

Are there wall mounts or other accessories, besides the charger, coming for the Roam?

Are any of these new features be applied to the Move?  Some seem they could apply.

Will you be able to ‘speaker swap’ from the Move to nearest Sonos speaker? 

Will the Move be able to be in BT and WiFi  concurrently?

Will the Move be able to auto Trueplay in BT mode, as the Roam does?

Does Roam work with Sonos S1?

Will Sound Swap function be available to the Move as a firmware update after the Roam release?

Wanted to pre order Roam however despite PayPal being advertised apparently not for pre orders. You guys sure ain’t making this easy

Will the Move be able to auto Trueplay in BT mode, as the Roam does?

In the presentation, Giles Martin mentioned they will bring it to the Move too.

Does it work with any Qi charger?

It says that it will work with any Qi Charger…. pleasantly surprised on that one :relaxed:

No, the Roam will not work with S1.

Pre ordered pretty much straight away, the move was excessive for me but this is perfect. 

Does anyone know what this means? 

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth.

It would be good if this could be used to Trueplay other Sonos speakers.

There couldn't be a more consistent and controller microphone I'd imagine.

Pre ordered pretty much straight away, the move was excessive for me but this is perfect. 

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth.

Presumably it means that you can group the ‘Roam’ with any/all your ‘other’ Sonos speakers to play the audio being streamed to it over Bluetooth. At least that’s how I read that particular comment.

Nice if Sonos were to also add that feature to the ‘Move’ too, I think.

It means you can send audio from your phone to the Roam via BT, and then the Roam can be grouped with the rest of your Sonos speakers to play that audio stream in other speakers.  It sounds like it’s the same basic concept as sharing an airplay stream.

Sonos has not said this yet, but surely there will be a delay/buffer between the audio coming from your phone and playback on other speakers besides the Roam.

Why would you use Bluetooth if you were inside with availability of WiFi? I don't really get it, I guess this finally allows you to stream YouTube via sonos.

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall charger we all used for years is compatible?

Why would you use Bluetooth if you were inside with availability of WiFi? I don't really get it, I guess this finally allows you to stream YouTube via sonos.

...or BBC Sounds, Netflix, or anything else that produces audio on a mobile device or from a product that has a BT transmitter such as a TV, echo dot, Google mini etc. etc. 

How you use the features though will be for you to choose. I can see plenty of opportunities ahead.

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall charger we all used for years is compatible?

Yeah the standard old iPhone plug is normally 2.1A or 2.4A, gives it a lot of options for being charged from a power bank too.

I found some answers to my questions…

Will the Roam be able to perform the rear surround duties in a home theatre room ? (pretty sure it’s no, but asking anyway)

No.

What is the voltage/amps of the charger?  Can it be charged with a typical phone or tablet charging setup?

5V, typical wireless charger.

Feature set seems complete except for one that exists in competitor's products - the ability to group speakers over bluetooth (like PARTYUP on UE products or JBL Connect+). The Roam product page states that grouping can only be accomplished via WiFi. 

I hope that is not a hardware limitation and can possibly be enabled via software at some point. I pre-ordered two Roams and would love to have two or more of these bad boys working in concert wherever I decide to setup camp this summer!

...or BBC Sounds, Netflix, or anything else that produces audio on a mobile device or from a product that has a BT transmitter such as a TV, echo dot, Google mini etc. etc. 

How you use the features though will be for you to choose. I can see plenty of opportunities ahead.

Besides content that you couldn’t stream without bluetooth, I think the intent was that you’re listening away from home, outside of WiFi range, and when you return home, you can easily swap speakers to continue listening.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see people doing this that frequently.  However, there are rumors of Sonos headphones coming one day, and this feature makes a lot of sense for headphones.

Also, there case where you have guest that really wants to play something from their device, but you don't want to give them access to your home network or show them how to use your system.