Hardware News

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Meet Sonos Roam, the ultra-portable smart speaker

Show first post

390 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

ok I’ve just pre-ordered one for my bathroom but what I really was hoping to see was upward firing rear atmos speakers to complete my dual sub arc setup.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Would of been good if this could have had some built in upfiring speakers so it could be used as atoms rears for the ARC, think something like that was more needed than this.

Userlevel 7

Hi,

When Sonos Roam will be available in Hong Kong?

Cheers

According to this article, Hong Kong is one of the launch countries and “Deliveries are set to arrive from April 20.” https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/09/sonos-roam-portable-speaker-airplay-2-qi-charging/

Hi,

When Sonos Roam will be available in Hong Kong?

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I just ordered two, will replace a Sonos Move if a stereo pair is great. 

Userlevel 7

Anyone found any reviews yet?

It’s a bit too early for reviews. We’ll probably start seeing hands-on reviews in early April.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Anyone found any reviews yet?

Userlevel 7

Can the Roam safely be used as a shower radio daily?  Obviously charging outside the shower. 

The Roam is “waterproof up to three feet for 30 minutes” so I imagine it could handle daily showers.

Badge

Pre ordered pretty much straight away, the move was excessive for me but this is perfect. 

Does anyone know what this means? 

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth.

You can stream music via BT to the Roam and if the Roam is grouped with other Sonos speakers it will use SonosNet to play the music on all the speakers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Can the Roam safely be used as a shower radio daily?  Obviously charging outside the shower. 

How is it that the Move supports S1 but the Roam does not? :confused:

The Move started selling before Sonos ended all new features and products on the S1 system. 

Badge

How is it that the Move supports S1 but the Roam does not? :confused:

Userlevel 2
Badge

So it’s a megaboom? Bought one of those a while ago because of Sonos’ problem with AirPlay 2 and have been pretty happy for what it is. I’ll wait to see how it sounds. Love the Move, if it’s in that ballpark I’ll move to the Roam. Still bitter about my bricked Play 5 tho.

You also can't seem to pre-order using upgrade discounts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall charger we all used for years is compatible?

Yeah the standard old iPhone plug is normally 2.1A or 2.4A, gives it a lot of options for being charged from a power bank too.

Are you sure -- it looks like the standard 5W apple charger is 1A?  But I assume that works with the Roam:  

Why would you use Bluetooth if you were inside with availability of WiFi? I don't really get it, I guess this finally allows you to stream YouTube via sonos.

...or BBC Sounds, Netflix, or anything else that produces audio on a mobile device or from a product that has a BT transmitter such as a TV, echo dot, Google mini etc. etc. 

How you use the features though will be for you to choose. I can see plenty of opportunities ahead.

Besides content that you couldn’t stream without bluetooth, I think the intent was that you’re listening away from home, outside of WiFi range, and when you return home, you can easily swap speakers to continue listening.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see people doing this that frequently.  However, there are rumors of Sonos headphones coming one day, and this feature makes a lot of sense for headphones.

Also, there case where you have guest that really wants to play something from their device, but you don't want to give them access to your home network or show them how to use your system.

Userlevel 1

Feature set seems complete except for one that exists in competitor's products - the ability to group speakers over bluetooth (like PARTYUP on UE products or JBL Connect+). The Roam product page states that grouping can only be accomplished via WiFi. 

I hope that is not a hardware limitation and can possibly be enabled via software at some point. I pre-ordered two Roams and would love to have two or more of these bad boys working in concert wherever I decide to setup camp this summer!

I found some answers to my questions…

Will the Roam be able to perform the rear surround duties in a home theatre room ? (pretty sure it’s no, but asking anyway)

No.

What is the voltage/amps of the charger?  Can it be charged with a typical phone or tablet charging setup?

5V, typical wireless charger.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall charger we all used for years is compatible?

Yeah the standard old iPhone plug is normally 2.1A or 2.4A, gives it a lot of options for being charged from a power bank too.

Why would you use Bluetooth if you were inside with availability of WiFi? I don't really get it, I guess this finally allows you to stream YouTube via sonos.

...or BBC Sounds, Netflix, or anything else that produces audio on a mobile device or from a product that has a BT transmitter such as a TV, echo dot, Google mini etc. etc. 

How you use the features though will be for you to choose. I can see plenty of opportunities ahead.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Pre ordered pretty much straight away, the move was excessive for me but this is perfect. 

Seamless connectivity also unlocks Bluetooth streaming for your entire system, with the Sonos app allowing you to group any of your Sonos speakers to Roam when streaming with Bluetooth.

It means you can send audio from your phone to the Roam via BT, and then the Roam can be grouped with the rest of your Sonos speakers to play that audio stream in other speakers.  It sounds like it’s the same basic concept as sharing an airplay stream.

Sonos has not said this yet, but surely there will be a delay/buffer between the audio coming from your phone and playback on other speakers besides the Roam.

Presumably it means that you can group the ‘Roam’ with any/all your ‘other’ Sonos speakers to play the audio being streamed to it over Bluetooth. At least that’s how I read that particular comment.

Nice if Sonos were to also add that feature to the ‘Move’ too, I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It would be good if this could be used to Trueplay other Sonos speakers.

There couldn't be a more consistent and controller microphone I'd imagine.