Hardware News

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

There’s probably not enough space in that enclosure to stick a wide field array of speakers. At least that’s my guess. I use random Dots and Shows to listen to my voice and control my Sonos devices. I’ve actually turned off the mics on my Sonos Ones. 

Voice control actually works slightly different between Alexa on a One and Alexa on a Dot. It is a pain for a specific but often use application on my system, which I was hoping to avoid with an upgrade.

There’s probably not enough space in that enclosure to stick a wide field array of speakers. At least that’s my guess. I use random Dots and Shows to listen to my voice and control my Sonos devices. I’ve actually turned off the mics on my Sonos Ones. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Happy to finally see a white version of this speaker that is actually white, but WTF Sonos, why no voice assistant? The assistant in the One is great, and requiring the addition of an external mini/dot to the Five is a mistake. I know because that is what I do with my legacy Play:5s - they just don’t work the same as the integrated assistant. Sigh, at least I’ll now have AirPlay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Ooh, there are no microphones so no native voice control despite the “Control Sonos Five with your voice” ‘feature’ mentioned above.

That’s correct, there aren’t any microphones built in, and the second generation had a couple in its first run that were never turned on, and I believe they were even removed from future versions of hardware. The Sonos Five is ready to be controlled by any Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ooh, there are no microphones so no native voice control despite the “Control Sonos Five with your voice” ‘feature’ mentioned above.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I bought my play5’s a Month ago and i was really worry that i would be pissed if they released a gen3, honestly i couldnt care less, really disappointed not even voice control? So all this just for more ram, Better cpu, i honestly tought there was going to be atleast 1 wow factor here, Sure they will probably last for 15 years but if my play5’s can last for atleast 6-7 years i migth actually have a chance to get Gen4 for 30% off, maybe i expect to much? Anyway i love sonos No matter what

Userlevel 3
Badge

New Sonos 5 £499 in the Uk

new Arc playbar £799

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Ryan, this looks a similar form factor to the Play 5 (another nightmare for Support with your naming convention I imagine 🙂 ….) - a bit of a flat on the top?

Where are the microphones for the Voice control?  No other mics in this (like on the Play 5) - so still relies on phones for Trueplay?

Any idea of UK pricing?