Hardware News

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I don’t think anyone was “lured” into doing anything. Anyone doing their purchasing research would have discovered that the Play:5 Gen 2 was one of the products due for an upgrade and could have factored that into their choice. Moreover, absolutely nothing has changed yet by having a Play:5 Gen 1 as part of your system and won’t until June, so why would anyone rush out and buy a new product immediately.

Well, sonos pushed hard, as early as november 2019, as far as i remember, so THEY really wanted you ro “rush“ out and take the discount on the 2.gen

Now we know why. (They knew 3.gen was round the corner, and probably had a huge stock of 2.gen that they needed clearing)

Also, about a month ago, i began seeing the playbar, discounted 20% from the usual price here, that was also a telltale that they were trying to clear stock for that particular speaker, normally sonos cost the same everywhere, and suddenly every seller had it at the same, heavily discounted price.

That’s how product releases happen with most companies. The customer gets to make a choice - buy the current one at a big discount, or get the new one without discount. Both have the same warranty, so no big deal there. I can tell you, nothing like that happens with Apple - one day you are buying a device at full price, and the next day it’s replaced.

Now, with 16 legacy devices in my system, I am certainly in the target market for an upgrade and I didn’t feel like anyone was pushing/rushing/luring me to buy anything. In fact, it was quite obvious that I had until June (originally May) to think about my situation, and even then nothing would change so I could continue to think about it for a while longer. 

I guess the thing that is different here that is causing some concern is that ‘big discount’ in this case is the 30% that applies equally to the gen 2 and gen 3.

Both are S2 compatible, so I do see this refresh might be about giving flexibility for Sonos to introduce S3 without gen 2 support in five years time. It also signals to buyers like me that were reluctant to get the older gen 2 that is safe to buy the Five, although unfortunately I was holding out for voice control also...

Userlevel 1

The fact that I can’t stereo pair the Five with my Play:5 is totally bogus. I was literally about to add my stereo pair tonight, now I’m screwed. Thanks a lot sonos

Play:5 Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Gen 2

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I hadn't seen that Verge link when I posted so am surprised that it is an identical listening experience to the Play 5 Gen 2 but can't be stereo paired with it.

Does anyone know what’s up with this :point_up: - why can’t they pair if they are the same sound? 

Great discussion folks! In this regard, while their physical dimensions and acoustic profile are similar, Five and Play:5 Gen 2 have very different internal processors and computing platforms. The gap in processing capabilities means that we will not be able to offer a stable stereo experience. Stereo pairing takes a lot of complicated computing work and it just didn’t work properly because of the differences here.

Just trying to understand here and I appreciate your response. If I understand correctly,  you are saying the different processors mean that they can’t pair, fair enough. Since it’s a technical reason I guess Sonosequencer won’t be able to pair them either (I was actually hoping you would say the reason is because of sound so sonosequencer would be able to pair them if I go down that road). 

It’s possible that the app may be able to pair them, we just can’t guaranty the performance of that pair if it does work. I believe that app can pair Sonos devices that have no business being paired, like a Play:1 and a Play:5, which have different processors. When we build pairing for devices into the Sonos app, we need to be sure of the quality and longevity.

i’ve not tried this or looked at Sonossequencer but is it possible to group random speakers while setting their balance to full L or R accordingly? Is that all that does and how bad a solution is it?  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My rule of thumb is if Amazon are out of the product I want ,the manufacturer is offering big discounts, and is subsequently out of stock, and an announcement is imminent from manufacturer, then keep your money in your pocket until after said announcement. Nobody has been tricked here the choice is a money saving on slightly older equipment that is perfectly fine and will give many years of excellent  listening, or paying full price on equipment that will keep you future proofed a little longer, in the end it's all about choices. I chose to preorder the sonos5 simply because I am coming from a gen 1play5 and there didn't seem to be a reason to not come bang up to date .

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

The fact that I can’t stereo pair the Five with my Play:5 is totally bogus. I was literally about to add my stereo pair tonight, now I’m screwed. Thanks a lot sonos

Gen 2

Well, that would be an obvious pairing, so I wonder why it is excluded? Perhaps the audio dynamics are so different that it wouldn’t sound right.

Badge

Currently on the Sonos Five page on Sonos website it says that the Memory is 512 MB SDRAM & 512 MB NAND Flash. Why did Sonos change it from the specs posted originally i.e. 1 GB SDRAM and 4 GB NV?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Happy to finally see a white version of this speaker that is actually white, but WTF Sonos, why no voice assistant? The assistant in the One is great, and requiring the addition of an external mini/dot to the Five is a mistake. I know because that is what I do with my legacy Play:5s - they just don’t work the same as the integrated assistant. Sigh, at least I’ll now have AirPlay.

Further to my last post, why isn’t the new Five called the Five SL @Ryan S? That would align the naming nomenclature and leave room for a Five with a microphone in the future.

Badge

Will the Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 stand also work for Sonos Five?

Userlevel 1

Gen 2

Well, that would be an obvious pairing, so I wonder why it is excluded? Perhaps the audio dynamics are so different that it wouldn’t sound right.

Agreed. Says right in the FAQ that it will only pair with another Five. Pretty sure they just want us to buy 2 speakers

Badge +2

For the new Arc, Sonos publishes on their product page the RAM/Storage (1GB/4GB) and the CPU (1.4GHz A-53). Since they mention the RAM/Storage and CPU upgrade for the Sonos Five as well, is this data to be found somewhere as well?

Also, it’s mentioned that on the new devices the wifi modules got improved - has anybody more information on it?

Badge +2

Currently on the Sonos Five page on Sonos website it says that the Memory is 512 MB SDRAM & 512 MB NAND Flash. Why did Sonos change it from the specs posted originally i.e. 1 GB SDRAM and 4 GB NV?

It looks like initially a mistake was made and wrong specs posted. The first few days they posted for the Sub wrong information too (I believe they posted 2GB SDRAM and 4GB NV). Later they corrected it to 256MB SDRAM / 256MB NV and added the spec for the CPU. To me, the new specs look more plausible and in line with the capabilities of each component.

Well, sonos pushed hard, as early as november 2019, as far as i remember, so THEY really wanted you ro “rush“ out and take the discount on the 2.gen

Why would Sonos specifically want existing legacy Sonos owners to buy Play:5 gen 2 instead of the Five? What is the motivation?  Sure, Sonos has a motivation to clear out existing stock, but why would the prefer legacy customers buy the gen 2s instead of ‘modern’ or new customers?   Maybe Sonos makes a higher profit margin on the gen 2’s, but again why target legacy customers and why even create a Five if it’s going to hurt profits?  

Ignoring motivation for a moment and assuming this was the goal, wouldn’t it have made more sense to have the trade in expire before the Five was released, or have the Five exempt, rather than have no expiration at all?  Wouldn’t have made more sense to limit the trade in to the products that you were going to stop producing, or only allow direct replacements? Maybe the trade in program was poorly design for it’s intended goal to disguise it’s true intentions?  Doesn’t make much sense.

Now we know why. (They knew 3.gen was round the corner, and probably had a huge stock of 2.gen that they needed clearing)

We already knew why!  Sonos told us.  They didn’t want people to experience Sonos on old hardware that didn’t perform up to today’s standards.  Later, we learned that it was also, or may be more importantly, a way for people to more easily upgrade their legacy products if they wanted to.  

Also, about a month ago, i began seeing the playbar, discounted 20% from the usual price here, that was also a telltale that they were trying to clear stock for that particular speaker, normally sonos cost the same everywhere, and suddenly every seller had it at the same, heavily discounted price.

Exactly.  If the motivation for the tradeup was to clear out stock of play:5 gen 2’s, why wouldn’t they just put it on sale like they did for the playbar and  sub? They would have saved some money too, since 20% discount is obviously a deal for Sonos that 30%.

Regarding your earlier comment that Sonos could have told legacy customers that the Five, and other new products, were coming much earlier on, so that they would consider holding off...how exactly would that have worked?  Do you think Legacy customers would have kept that information to themselves?  No, it would have been common knowledge as far back as last year, tipping off competitors and hurt Sonos sales.  Should they have held off on the trade up program till the new products were announced?  Then customers would have rightly complained that it wasn’t offered soon enough before the S1/S2 split.

I have a Play 5 (Gen 2). If I buy a Sonos Five (latest gen), will I be able to use it as a stereo pair?

Aka isstereo pairing Sonos Play 5 with Sonos Five an option? 🤓

Thanks!

I have a Play 5 (Gen 2). If I buy a Sonos Five (latest gen), will I be able to use it as a stereo pair?

Aka isstereo pairing Sonos Play 5 with Sonos Five an option? 🤓

Thanks!

Unfortunatley no.  Sonos stated a few pages back that the differences in hardware prevent the Play:5 gen 2 and Five from being used in a stereo pair.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I hadn't seen that Verge link when I posted so am surprised that it is an identical listening experience to the Play 5 Gen 2 but can't be stereo paired with it.

Does anyone know what’s up with this :point_up: - why can’t they pair if they are the same sound? 

Great discussion folks! In this regard, while their physical dimensions and acoustic profile are similar, Five and Play:5 Gen 2 have very different internal processors and computing platforms. The gap in processing capabilities means that we will not be able to offer a stable stereo experience. Stereo pairing takes a lot of complicated computing work and it just didn’t work properly because of the differences here.

Just trying to understand here and I appreciate your response. If I understand correctly,  you are saying the different processors mean that they can’t pair, fair enough. Since it’s a technical reason I guess Sonosequencer won’t be able to pair them either (I was actually hoping you would say the reason is because of sound so sonosequencer would be able to pair them if I go down that road). 

It’s possible that the app may be able to pair them, we just can’t guaranty the performance of that pair if it does work. I believe that app can pair Sonos devices that have no business being paired, like a Play:1 and a Play:5, which have different processors. When we build pairing for devices into the Sonos app, we need to be sure of the quality and longevity.

i’ve not tried this or looked at Sonossequencer but is it possible to group random speakers while setting their balance to full L or R accordingly? Is that all that does and how bad a solution is it?  

Sonosequencer can pair any speakers. It does a bunch of other things too if you check the iOS store app page for it.

Badge

Does anyone know what are the processor and memory specs of Play 5 (Gen 2) ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

For the new Arc, Sonos publishes on their product page the RAM/Storage (1GB/4GB) and the CPU (1.4GHz A-53). Since they mention the RAM/Storage and CPU upgrade for the Sonos Five as well, is this data to be found somewhere as well?

Also, it’s mentioned that on the new devices the wifi modules got improved - has anybody more information on it?

The Sonos 5 page only mentions that it is getting a quad core 1.3ghz cpu. It is curious that the ram specs aren’t mentioned unless I just am not seeing it there. 

The WIFI specs only say “Connects to your home WiFi network with any 802.11b/g, 2.4 GHz broadcast-capable router.” I’m not sure what else they can tell us. 

It is on the product page.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/five.html

CPU
Quad Core
1.3 GHz

Memory
512 MB SDRAM
512 MB NAND Flash

Badge

CPU
Quad Core
1.3 GHz

Memory
512 MB SDRAM
512 MB NAND Flash

Not Five (gen 3) I’m asking about play 5 (gen2)

Badge

CPU
Quad Core
1.3 GHz

Memory
512 MB SDRAM
512 MB NAND Flash

Not Five (gen 3) I’m asking about play 5 (gen2)

The Play:5 (Gen 2) has 256MB of RAM and 256MB of Flash.  That makes the update even more underwhelming.

The Five specs are in line with the One SL and the Port.  It looks like Sonos has settled on 512MB for devices without Home Theater functionality or voice control.  Any device that has voice control or HT capability gets upped to 1GB of RAM and Flash.  The only exception is the Arc, which gets 1GB of RAM and 4GB of Flash.

Thanks ! Do you also know about the processor spec for gen2 play 5? I agree the memory upgrade is underwhelming given that memory is cheap. No change in architecture. Looks like Sonos team ran out of ideas. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t think the processor information for the Play:5 Gen 2 is available anywhere.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Literally just purchased and setup my first play 5 gen 2 when I heard there was a gen 3 out very annoying. Don’t know whether to return it but then again doesn’t seem to be that big a jump. Hopefully the gen 2 has plenty of life in it and sounds great. Thoughts ? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Literally just purchased and setup my first play 5 gen 2 when I heard there was a gen 3 out very annoying. Don’t know whether to return it but then again doesn’t seem to be that big a jump. Thoughts ? 

Did you get a discount on the Gen 2, or is there a price difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

So I was really happy the 5 was going to be replaced as there was no way I was going to replace my G1 Play:5 with a 5 year old product and I’d really like to add voice control where my Play:5 is situated (and there isn’t room for a Nest Mini / Dot).

Without voice control? I think this means I’ll try sticking with S1. It also means I’m now unlikely to replace my two legacy Connects anytime soon so my planned Sonos spending just went to nil. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Literally just purchased and setup my first play 5 gen 2 when I heard there was a gen 3 out very annoying. Don’t know whether to return it but then again doesn’t seem to be that big a jump. Thoughts ? 

Did you get a discount on the Gen 2, or is there a price difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3?

it was a bit cheaper than retail price of gen 2. In uk gen 2 retail is same as gen 3 I think. Just wondered if the new version is significantly different or whether actually best to keep gen2. Tbh I sort of prefer the white/black combo of gen2.