Hardware News

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

So anyone that took their upgrade offer for a 2.gen play 5, could have waited and gotten a play FIVE.

Honestly, id be pretty miffed, if had taken that offer a month ago for the 2.gen, just to find out its being discontinued right now.

Would it be strange, if someone that did that, was to speculate that Sonos did this, to clear the stock of 2.gen before announcing the killing of the 2.gen speaker.

So you’d be happier if they didn’t allow you the discount on newer products? Rather silly, no?

Usual misinformation from @DK_Madsen .  There is no sense in which the gen 2 has been 'killed'.

And I can't see why anyone would be bothered about their discounted purchase of a great S2-compatible speaker  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Usual misinformation from @DK_Madsen .  There is no sense in which the gen 2 has been 'killed'.

And I can't see why anyone would be bothered about their discounted purchase of a great S2-compatible speaker  

Phew, this is good to know. I haven’t really been following the developments too closely and thought the Play5 was done.

I don’t see it on the US website or “Last Chance” area for sale. I thought they had stopped manufacturing and selling the Play5 and the five year software countdown had started since I only see the new 5.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yes, that’s due, I believe, to the way Amazon limits what they’ll allow on third party hardware versus their own hardware, so they can maintain their own sales. That wouldn’t change with a new piece of hardware from Sonos. 

It works the way I want on a One, so would also on an assistant enabled Five. It does not work the way I want when I use a Dot.

Replacing legacy Play:5 Recommendations? I have so much Sonos it is embarrassing. Here’s the problem. My original Play:5 is doomed. I wasn’t crazy about the quality since the rest of the house has 2 gen Play:5, two sets of Playbar/Sub/Amp for home theater, and Play:1 and Ones scattered all about. The legacy Play:5 is on the bottom shelf of a wall unit in a sitting room that is adjacent to my great room which has the smaller of my TVs (62) with a Playbar, Sub, and two Ones for surround. So, when I play music, it bleeds into the sitting room but the Play:5 adds a little more punch. I already used my 30% off TradeUp to buy outdoor speakers and a new amp. Better to spend that deal on a package than a single speaker. I have another 20% burning a hole in my pocket. So, here’s the question…

1. Do I replace the legacy Play:5 with a new Five (which could be over kill for the space)...or
  2. Do I remove the Playbar I installed a year ago with my new TV in the basement rec room. 82” with PlayBar, Sub, and amp powered BostonAcoustics as the surrounds? Then...add the new Arc and new Sub to that room and put the old PlayBar as the speaker on the bottom shelf where the Play:5 is that needs to move on? 

I’m leaning towards the second option. I’d probably by the combo so I get the new sub though I’m not sure I really need it. I might consider using one of the old subs outside though I’m not sure how easy it is to connect and disconnect. Though if I run it wirelessly, it would be pretty easy to just take outside and put on the patio for parties. 

I guess the real question is would a Playbar without sub (but in an open floor plan where a Sub is located attached to another Player) be a decent replacement for legacy Play:5 at lower volumes and a fill speaker?

es ce que je peux utiliser 2 Five avec la barre de son arc et le sub3? pour home cinema

Userlevel 1
Badge

Phew, this is good to know. I haven’t really been following the developments too closely and thought the Play5 was done.

I don’t see it on the US website or “Last Chance” area for sale. I thought they had stopped manufacturing and selling the Play5 and the five year software countdown had started since I only see the new 5.

There is no “countdown”.  That is the minimum that is guaranteed.  There are devices just becoming legacy now that were last manufactured over a decade ago.  Fact is: All the legacy products had 32MB RAM/storage.  The Play:5 Gen 2 has 8 times that.  I’m not saying that means it will last 8 times longer, it won’t. But it is certainly more future proof than the legacy units were. 

Oh, I thought there was a 5 year minimum guarantee, thus the countdown on the guaranteed support period. I know it can be longer, what’s the minimum it will be supported as I guess I’m wrong?

Funny you mention the 8 times more memory, the new sub has 8 times more memory than the Play5. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This 'only 5 years' thing has been possibly the biggest misrepresentation that has featured on this forum in recent months. A close second is that discontinuing sales makes a speaker 'useless', 'obsolete' or 'dead'.

You guys are really snippy. If I am wrong that’s fine but I’m not trying to misrepresent anything.

I thought it was a 5 year guarantee...I know it could be longer but is 5 years the guaranteed minimum that Sonos promises? Please tell me the actual minimum guarantee, I’ll be very happy if they guarantee more than 5!. Thanks.

There’s probably not enough space in that enclosure to stick a wide field array of speakers. At least that’s my guess. I use random Dots and Shows to listen to my voice and control my Sonos devices. I’ve actually turned off the mics on my Sonos Ones. 

I was thinking there would be a new enclosure designed to accommodate the mic array.  I can see where they did not think it was worth the extra cost since no other design changes were needed and perhaps they did not get customer feedback saying it was needed.

There is some drawback to not having the mics onboard though.  Echo devices now have a feature where they can act as listening devices only, but respond through a different Alexa enabled device.  So for example, you can have several echo dots, echos, echo inputs, etc in a room listening for commands, but your Sonos One does all the talking, or your Beam, Move, or Arc.   It’s an nice feature, and one have been nice with the Five...if it was an Alexa enabled device.  Note, this feature doesn’t work for Echo Shows, probably because of the video aspect.  Also note, you can’t have one speaker do the Alexa speaking for the group, and a different speaker do the music playback.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Wow, now i am even MORE happy that i never took Sonos up on the offer of replacing my 5 year old Play gen.1 with a play gen.2.

If i was angry that they obsoleted my 5 year old speaker, i would be really really angry if i bought the replacement they recommended, only to find that it was discontinued a month later, and is most likely being obsoleted in another 5 years.

I wonder if the “Get 30% off, for every Play 5. gen 1 speaker” also applies to the FIVE. ?

If it does, i would think that people lured into accepting the play 5 gen.2 just a month or 2 ago would be REALLY angry and feel VERY cheated.

I don’t think anyone was “lured” into doing anything. Anyone doing their purchasing research would have discovered that the Play:5 Gen 2 was one of the products due for an upgrade and could have factored that into their choice. Moreover, absolutely nothing has changed yet by having a Play:5 Gen 1 as part of your system and won’t until June, so why would anyone rush out and buy a new product immediately.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You guys are really snippy. If I am wrong that’s fine but I’m not trying to misrepresent anything.

I thought it was a 5 year guarantee...I know it could be longer but is 5 years the guaranteed minimum that Sonos promises? Please tell me the actual minimum guarantee, I’ll be very happy if they guarantee more than 5!. Thanks.

They might be snippy, but I can understand the reaction to the immoderate and inaccurate language on this issue from many across this forum and in social media more widely. Anyway, you are correct that the minimum support guarantee is five years after a product is discontinued, so it is possible the Play:5 Gen 2 may start to lose access to new features in five years time, but they are very unlikely to stop working altogether. I’m still happily using products that I bought 10+ years ago, and am only swapping those out now because I’d like to keep up with S2 developments.

Thanks for confirming I am correct about the 5 year minimum software support guarantee. What was inaccurate or immoderate about my language if I may ask?

Your specific experience with a long support time is great, I hope my devices will get at least 10 years of updates. But not everyone got 10 years right? There are a lot of people who only got 5, 6 years of updates and I would like to avoid that.

I hadn't seen that Verge link when I posted so am surprised that it is an identical listening experience to the Play 5 Gen 2 but can't be stereo paired with it.

Does anyone know what’s up with this :point_up: - why can’t they pair if they are the same sound? 

Great discussion folks! In this regard, while their physical dimensions and acoustic profile are similar, Five and Play:5 Gen 2 have very different internal processors and computing platforms. The gap in processing capabilities means that we will not be able to offer a stable stereo experience. Stereo pairing takes a lot of complicated computing work and it just didn’t work properly because of the differences here.

Ryan,

What are the options for Play: 5 (Gen2) owners that need to complete a stereo pair now?  The Gen2 is not currently available for purchase on your site.  I already have the sub (also Gen2) but need to complete this room with true stereo.  

Thanks. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh, I thought there was a 5 year minimum guarantee, thus the countdown on the guaranteed support period. I know it can be longer, what’s the minimum it will be supported as I guess I’m wrong?

Funny you mention the 8 times more memory, the new sub has 8 times more memory than the Play5. 

A “countdown” denotes there is a definitive end when the timer reaches zero.  It also connotes a bomb going boom, or a rocket going off in ball of flames and rising to leave the Earth.  It’s a loaded phrase, purposefully used to bring up that type of image, wouldn’t you say? 

After all, nobody ever went “10, 9, 8, . . . 3, 2,1.  And now we are going to sit here like this for a few more years of functionality.”

Right?   

Mr Pedant, Sonos guarantees 5 years of software updates from the last sale right? It seems that the Play5 is at the last sale point. The countdown to the end of the guarantee is on. So it would be correct to say that the 5 year guarantee will run out in 5 years. 

I have no idea why you are talking about bombs, rockets and flames. Countdowns aren’t just for astronauts, North Koreans and doomsday cults. 

What do you think about the sub having 8 times the memory of the Play5? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I hadn't seen that Verge link when I posted so am surprised that it is an identical listening experience to the Play 5 Gen 2 but can't be stereo paired with it.

Does anyone know what’s up with this :point_up: - why can’t they pair if they are the same sound? 

Great discussion folks! In this regard, while their physical dimensions and acoustic profile are similar, Five and Play:5 Gen 2 have very different internal processors and computing platforms. The gap in processing capabilities means that we will not be able to offer a stable stereo experience. Stereo pairing takes a lot of complicated computing work and it just didn’t work properly because of the differences here.

Ryan,

What are the options for Play: 5 (Gen2) owners that need to complete a stereo pair now?  The Gen2 is not currently available for purchase on your site.  I already have the sub (also Gen2) but need to complete this room with true stereo.  

Thanks. 

I’m seeing refurbished Play5 available at retail such as Best Buy- But would love to know where a new one could be ordered as well.

Mr Pedant, Sonos guarantees 5 years of software updates from the last sale right? It seems that the Play5 is at the last sale point. The countdown to the end of the guarantee is on. So it would be correct to say that the 5 year guarantee will run out in 5 years. 

I have no idea why you are talking about bombs, rockets and flames. Countdowns aren’t just for astronauts, North Koreans and doomsday cults. 

What do you think about the sub having 8 times the memory of the Play5? 

See there you go again.  They are not automatically stopping all support after 5 years.  They guarantee a MINIMUM of five years, but support could very well go on for far longer (as it did with the ZP units).   So this is no closed guarantee that warrants a countdown, it is very much open ended.  

I think the new Sub is probably more future proof than the  5 years older Play:5 Gen 2 from 2017.  Also think the Play:5 Gen 2 is far more future proof than the original Sonos units that lasted a decade and a half.  Your point?  

Oh and by the way, if you are who I think you are, you aren’t getting any more replies from me.  I’m a little out of practice spotting your socks, but I got there eventually.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks for confirming I am correct about the 5 year minimum software support guarantee. What was inaccurate or immoderate about my language if I may ask?

Your specific experience with a long support time is great, I hope my devices will get at least 10 years of updates. But not everyone got 10 years right? There are a lot of people who only got 5, 6 years of updates and I would like to avoid that.

I wasn’t referring to you specifically, but more generally the mood around this issue which has some people being a little more forthright than usual. I guess the only minor inaccuracy from you has been outlined by @jgatie above.

Sonos has discontinued and then stopped supporting products in the past, and I guess there were shorter-duration updates for those - the iPod dock comes to mind. However, I don’t recall any support stopping immediately for products removed from sale. With respect to this round, we don’t know how many years of updates people have received because the support hasn’t stopped yet. For example, let’s consider the Play:5 Gen 1. This product was discontinued when the Gen 2 was announced in September 2015, although I suppose you could have bought new stock for a period after that. If you did buy a Gen 1 from a retailer a year later (which I think would have been at a pretty good discount), you’ve had about four years so far and we don’t know how many more you’ll get for this as an S1 product - I hopefully guess it will be several.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Lots available on eBay at the moment, which you could pick up at a good price if you are patient. I’m sure you’d also find stock at some retailers, although I would be insisting on a discount.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m wondering if they have plans to use these as rear Atmos speakers.

The side firing tweeters look like they could double as upward firing Atmos tweeters when the speakers are placed vertically as surrounds.

That would be a crazy coincidence, since the Play:5 Gen 2 was released back in 2015 (and has the same design).  I assume that Atmos wasn’t even on their radar back then..

I’m wondering if they have plans to use these as rear Atmos speakers.

The side firing tweeters look like they could double as upward firing Atmos tweeters when the speakers are placed vertically as surrounds.

I can’t imagine they would ever do such a thing.

That would be a crazy coincidence, since the Play:5 Gen 2 was released back in 2015 (and has the same design).  I assume that Atmos wasn’t even on their radar back then..

Not really.  Side firing speakers help to provide an illusion of a bigger soundstage.  They did the same thing on the Beam as well.  As I understand it the Arc has side firing speakers partially for Atmos content and partially for the soundstage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That is probably gonna be sent to the obsolete heap in 5 years, when sonos once again needs an infusion of money.

The first generation play 5 was supported from November 2009, to may 2020, this is 10½ years.

The 2.gen was released in september 2015, so this means that if we look at previous generations the 2.gen is just about 5 years old, giving it 5½ years before it reaches the same age, at which the 1.gen was obsoleted.

Maybe you dont see any problem in someone taking the discount on the 2.gen, which the past has shown will probably be obsolete in ~5½ years, when they could have waited a week and gotten a device that would last them 10½ years, but i do.

These poor people has had their expected price for 10 years of sonos speaker, effectively doubled as they will have to do another tradeup in 5½ years, that they would not have needed, had it not been for sonos hiding the new 3.gen from people until the last second.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I don’t think anyone was “lured” into doing anything. Anyone doing their purchasing research would have discovered that the Play:5 Gen 2 was one of the products due for an upgrade and could have factored that into their choice. Moreover, absolutely nothing has changed yet by having a Play:5 Gen 1 as part of your system and won’t until June, so why would anyone rush out and buy a new product immediately.

Well, sonos pushed hard, as early as november 2019, as far as i remember, so THEY really wanted you ro “rush“ out and take the discount on the 2.gen

Now we know why. (They knew 3.gen was round the corner, and probably had a huge stock of 2.gen that they needed clearing)

Also, about a month ago, i began seeing the playbar, discounted 20% from the usual price here, that was also a telltale that they were trying to clear stock for that particular speaker, normally sonos cost the same everywhere, and suddenly every seller had it at the same, heavily discounted price.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s “easy”

Just never buy a sonos product that is not “just released”.

The play 5 got 10½ years from introduction until it was put on the “old stuff, we dont support” heap.

Also beware, if buying sonos, always do your homework, they have a nasty habit of naming their units the same, even if they upgrade the internals. The new sub is still called the sub, so if you are in the market for one, make absolutely sure you get the “new sub”. I saw a few that got burnt with the connect i think...Bought a few units a few months apart, and it ended up, that some was obsoleted, and some were “modern” and will still received updates.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

So you’d be happier if they didn’t allow you the discount on newer products? Rather silly, no?

No, i would have been happier if they had been up front and told people that 1.gen was being obsoleted, and everyone could get a discount on the 2.gen now, but that there was a 3.gen right around the corner, that the costumer could opt to wait for, before making the swap..

This was obviously a ploy to try and empty the stock of 2.gen’s before announcing the 3.gen

A quick search would reveal the following:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/when-will-the-play-5-gen-2-be-replaced-updated-6835892

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/play-5-updates-6822240

However, maybe what we need is a buyer’s guide like they have over at MacRumours:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A quick search would reveal the following:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/when-will-the-play-5-gen-2-be-replaced-updated-6835892

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/play-5-updates-6822240

However, maybe what we need is a buyer’s guide like they have over at MacRumours:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

Yeah, a legitimate question, that was never answered by sonos, deflected by fanboys and then the subject was closed.

That does not at all look like they were trying to hide the 3.gen for as long as possible to try and empty the current stock of 2.gen.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

The fact that I can’t stereo pair the Five with my Play:5 is totally bogus. I was literally about to add my stereo pair tonight, now I’m screwed. Thanks a lot sonos

Play:5 Gen 1 or Gen 2?