Hardware News

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Meet Sonos Five, studio-quality sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Ryan, this looks a similar form factor to the Play 5 (another nightmare for Support with your naming convention I imagine 🙂 ….) - a bit of a flat on the top?

Where are the microphones for the Voice control?  No other mics in this (like on the Play 5) - so still relies on phones for Trueplay?

Any idea of UK pricing?

Thanks for the clarification @Ryan S

Keep up the great work and products. 

An idea for future product compatibility and support is to maybe run an emulator or an API, that allows for backwards compatibility and/or compute offload to a master compute resource / product.

All any of these products need to be for us at the end of the day is a speaker. How it processes and offloads that work and gets there it doesn’t matter to the user. Traditional speakers don’t process anything they just make sound, legacy sonos devices could transition from full featured to dumb devices that required a sonos digital receiver device to function, and I would personally think that was very reasonable. Its what you do with the AMPS for traditional speakers already.

Userlevel 3
Badge

New Sonos 5 £499 in the Uk

new Arc playbar £799

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I bought my play5’s a Month ago and i was really worry that i would be pissed if they released a gen3, honestly i couldnt care less, really disappointed not even voice control? So all this just for more ram, Better cpu, i honestly tought there was going to be atleast 1 wow factor here, Sure they will probably last for 15 years but if my play5’s can last for atleast 6-7 years i migth actually have a chance to get Gen4 for 30% off, maybe i expect to much? Anyway i love sonos No matter what

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ooh, there are no microphones so no native voice control despite the “Control Sonos Five with your voice” ‘feature’ mentioned above.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

...Alexa now has a feature where you can set a default speaker for an echo, meaning that the echo hears you, but Alexa will respond through a different Alexa enabled speaker.  This is different from a prefered speaker, as it’s not about streaming music, but Alexa’s actual voice response.  It would have been a nice feature  to speak to the echo dot right next to you, but hear the voice coming from your Five.  You can do this sort of thing with the Arc, Beam, One, and Move

Can you explain a little more about this feature? The attached pictures show what Alexa says when I try to set this up with my Play:5 Gen 1.

My issue is that a particular radio station I use through a particular skill will always play on the Dot rather than on Sonos, but this is not the case with any of my Ones. It’s also not the case when I initiate Spotify through the Dot.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, I don’t know if this is the right thread for this but you can move it somewhere else suitable if you like. (Perhaps someone has already asked this somewhere.)

I have some thoughts regarding the new Five.

As read in an article online somewhere-

Why now- why so little?

Talking to people here in Sweden many seems a bit confused why there were so little upgrades on the new Sonos flagship speaker. Yes more memory better processor and WiFi radio, but many people I know including myself really thought that Sonos would release a new Bluesound Pulse2i killer, something that would outperform their flagship and other competitors.(and outperform the play5gen2)

I have not heard the Pulse2i myself but according to my brother it has more of everything compared to the Gen2?

(e.g 24 bit/192 kHz and more power and quality psb drivers)

What’s your opinion of the Five versus the Pulse2i? (In let’s say a stereo pair.)

What would you prefer and why?

*This leaves me with the question, will Sonos soon release another speaker that might take over the throne from the Five as the flagship Sonos audiophile speaker? Perhaps the New “Sonos Six” :wink::thinking: (they have also removed the phrase “Our most powerful speaker available” on the web site :thinking: )

Have a good day! Or evening as here in Sweden!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Received 2 new Sonos Five speakers to replace my Play:5 Gen1s yesterday. I’m very impressed, and I don’t even have them in a stereo pair, or TruPlay tuned (Android guy, waiting for Apple friend to come visit). Warm/tight bass and a lovely wide/crisp soundstage. For the fun of it I did a side by side comparison with the Play:5 Gen1 and not surprisingly there is no comparison. Kudos Sonos!

Meanwhile, again for the fun of it/not that I need it, I’m wondering what a stereo pair of Fives and a Sub would sound like...

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Stereo Fives are great, I have two pairs of them.  I don’t think a sub is necessary.  Look up Peter Pee’s videos on you tube and he compares them with and without a sub.  I almost want to turn down the bass on my stereo Five’s.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Stereo Fives are great, I have two pairs of them.  I don’t think a sub is necessary.  Look up Peter Pee’s videos on you tube and he compares them with and without a sub.  I almost want to turn down the bass on my stereo Five’s.

Yeah that’s what had me wondering what it would sound like as the bass depth on their own is already immense :relaxed:

Will check out the videos thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I’ve almost wanted to turn down the bass some times.  But I can’t recommend the 5’s enough.  What a great speaker especially in stereo.

Badge

Hi, Five are future proof?

WiFi 6 is present and seams Five will not supported. What Sonos means by HD sound?

This codecs will play natively: 24 bit/44.1 kHz - 24 bit/96 kHz or 24 bit/192 kHz?

heeey community , how can I connect two sonos  five in the computer ??

can I use two sonos five in one computer …? the computer only have one out , its the earphone out 

im new on this brand 

I m looking some videos but they're not have tutorials 

thanks !!

heeey community , how can I connect two sonos  five in the computer ??

can I use two sonos five in one computer …? the computer only have one out , its the earphone out 

im new on this brand 

I m looking some videos but they're not have tutorials 

thanks !!

Hi @rodrigoca,

Connect the computer via the earphone out/line in to one of the Fives (let’s call it speaker 1). In the app under Settings for speaker 1 configure the Line-In settings. You’ll likely want the Audio Delay setting set to Low/75ms and Autoplay to speaker 1.  Then (in the app) set the 2 Fives up as a stereo pair (again in the settings > speaker 1) with speaker 2, or simply group with speaker 2 if for some reason you just want a mono pair.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a looot!!!!

I have another one ... hahaha , can i conect two sonos five with the sonos Beam , can i do that ? And how...sorry im new on this things..

Have a nice one there GleannanIolair!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks a looot!!!!

I have another one ... hahaha , can i conect two sonos five with the sonos Beam , can i do that ? And how...sorry im new on this things..

Have a nice one there GleannanIolair!!!

Hi @rodrigoca

It depends on what kind of setup/layout you have. If you have the Beam set up as a different room/zone then you can group it with the Sonos Five pair.

If the speakers are in the same room you can still group but probably just need to ensure the levels are set properly to get the best out of each speaker. Depending on layout having the Fives as a stereo pair might not work so play about to see which you prefer.

Alternatively, if in the same room, you could set the Fives up as the surrounds for the Beam - you can access this setup within the settings > (zone with beam) > Add Surround Speakers and then follow the instructions to setup the Fives. You may than also want to go into the Surround Audio setting and set Music Playback=Full, as well as increasing the Music Level slider, to get the most out of the Fives. However, it seems this option disables the line in port on the Fives which doesn’t sound like it would work for you. 

Cannot work out how to set up up a stereo pair of 2 x new Play 5's as front speakers in a 5.1 setup, using playbar, sub and 2 x play 1 as rears. Can't find anyway to set the 2 x 5's as front L&R and use playbar for speech, which is how a 5.1 system should be set-up?
I can only add 2 x 5's as fronts on their own, setting them up separately, when I pair them to the surround it sounds terrible. Says on Sonos Website that 5's are suitable for use as surround speakers? Help! Looks like they will be going back to Sonos!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Cannot work out how to set up up a stereo pair of 2 x new Play 5's as front speakers in a 5.1 setup, using playbar, sub and 2 x play 1 as rears. Can't find anyway to set the 2 x 5's as front L&R and use playbar for speech, which is how a 5.1 system should be set-up?
I can only add 2 x 5's as fronts on their own, setting them up separately, when I pair them to the surround it sounds terrible. Says on Sonos Website that 5's are suitable for use as surround speakers? Help! Looks like they will be going back to Sonos!

5’s can only be used as surround rears, Sonos soundbars always handle the front three channels. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

IMHO Sonos is not striving for the best home theater setups, it is intended as a very good setup with ease of use and no hassle with too many cables.

If you want a really good home theater setup go for JBL Synthesis.

Thanks for the help and answers. I guess the problem here is that this is not fully explained as a limitation on the sonos website when ordering, I guess I’m not the first to suffer this. And actually there is no reason why it could not be achieved to make the system even better. That is only software required to do that. Same as creating a stereo pair is only software. Sonos should consider this as it is an improvement. 
might you could do this the system would move to another level and me truly awesome!

Unfortunately it looks like sonos is getting two new speakers back. 
and I will have to sell my playbar, sub and 2 x play 1’s which I have purchased in the last year with the view to doing this when I could afford it. The launch of the new 5’s was the incentive to do that. 

I have a Sonos 5 speaker.  This morning, it was totally dead.  It is plugged in but no light is on.  What do I do now?  How can it be repaired?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Happy to finally see a white version of this speaker that is actually white, but WTF Sonos, why no voice assistant? The assistant in the One is great, and requiring the addition of an external mini/dot to the Five is a mistake. I know because that is what I do with my legacy Play:5s - they just don’t work the same as the integrated assistant. Sigh, at least I’ll now have AirPlay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, now i am even MORE happy that i never took Sonos up on the offer of replacing my 5 year old Play gen.1 with a play gen.2.

If i was angry that they obsoleted my 5 year old speaker, i would be really really angry if i bought the replacement they recommended, only to find that it was discontinued a month later, and is most likely being obsoleted in another 5 years.

I wonder if the “Get 30% off, for every Play 5. gen 1 speaker” also applies to the FIVE. ?

If it does, i would think that people lured into accepting the play 5 gen.2 just a month or 2 ago would be REALLY angry and feel VERY cheated.

There’s probably not enough space in that enclosure to stick a wide field array of speakers. At least that’s my guess. I use random Dots and Shows to listen to my voice and control my Sonos devices. I’ve actually turned off the mics on my Sonos Ones. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

There’s probably not enough space in that enclosure to stick a wide field array of speakers. At least that’s my guess. I use random Dots and Shows to listen to my voice and control my Sonos devices. I’ve actually turned off the mics on my Sonos Ones. 

Voice control actually works slightly different between Alexa on a One and Alexa on a Dot. It is a pain for a specific but often use application on my system, which I was hoping to avoid with an upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can use the 30% on every Sonos device sold, even sets up to a whole 5.1 setup.  I’m pretty sure the only thing it doesn't apply to is the turntables.  So you could trade up from a $350 Connect, and get over $500 off a full Arc, surrounds, and Sub 5.1setup. 

So anyone that took their upgrade offer for a 2.gen play 5, could have waited and gotten a play FIVE.

Honestly, id be pretty miffed, if had taken that offer a month ago for the 2.gen, just to find out its being discontinued right now.

Would it be strange, if someone that did that, was to speculate that Sonos did this, to clear the stock of 2.gen before announcing the killing of the 2.gen speaker.