Meet Sonos Beam

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11673 replies
Available on July 17th, Sonos Beam is the all-new smart speaker for your living room. Sonos Beam is everything you know to expect from a Sonos home theater speaker, now with voice control. Amazon Alexa comes built-in and support for multiple voice assistants, including Google Assistant, is coming in the future. Experience incredible sound while streaming music, watching TV and movies, enjoying podcasts and audiobooks, or playing video games.

Sonos Beam delivers rich, room-filling sound as the center of your home theater. You can make a surround sound setup with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5 for rear speakers with the Beam, and even add a SUB for the full 5.1 surround sound experience to shake the house.

Seamless Design

The Sonos Beam comes in white or black to complement your home, and the curved silhouette quietly blends into its surroundings. With a low profile and compact size, Beam was designed to fit on credenzas or under wall mounted TVs, providing versatility. At only 25.6 inches long, Sonos Beam won’t hang off furniture, block the TV or overwhelm your space.

Every acoustic component is custom-designed by Sonos and tuned for immersive sound to fill the entire room. The Beam has four full-range woofers and a tweeter to ensure you’ll hear the true playback of mid-range vocals, plus deep, rich bass. Powered by five Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture. Three passive radiators will make deep, warm bass fill the room. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI-ARC, or PCM stereo sound.

Ready for Voice control

Sonos Beam will support Amazon Alexa in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and soon in France, with support for Google Assistant coming this year. If you’re in another country, Beam is future-ready for when Sonos and a voice service launch together in your region.

On top of the Alexa control already available for Sonos devices, you can use Beam with the latest Alexa-enabled video streaming devices such as Fire TV to unlock more hands-free control. You can find, launch and control video streaming content using your voice and even change channels within supported apps. Just say:  

“Alexa, turn on the TV”
“Alexa, find adventure movies on Netflix”
“Alexa, play Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu”
“Alexa, open ESPN”
“Alexa, pause.”

Some more details on Sonos Beam:
  • Simple to set-up. Plug Sonos Beam into power and then connect it to your TV using the HDMI cord. That’s it.
  • Control your way. Control Sonos Beam with your voice, the Sonos app, your existing TV remote, your favorite music service’s app, and soon, AirPlay. Capacitive touch controls for volume up/down, previous/next track, play/pause, add to group, microphone mute. LED indicates status, mute status and voice feedback.
  • Smart voice recognition. A five far-field microphone array used for advanced beamforming and multichannel echo cancellation makes sure you’re heard, even when the music is blasting, even when playing with a full 5.1 listening experience.
  • Optimized for your listening. From within the Sonos App, tap Speech Enhancement so you never miss a word, or Night Sound to amplify quiet noises and reduce loud ones so you can enjoy late night TV without waking the entire house.
  • Tune with Trueplay. Trueplay analyzes all the acoustic factors in your room—size, layout, décor and speaker placement—and tunes Beam to sound its absolute best.
  • Low profile and compact size. The dimensions are 25.625 x 3.94 x 2.70 in. (651 x 100 x 68.5 mm) and it weighs 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg).

Pre-order today on Sonos.com in stunning black or white for $399 US (€449 EUR, €449).

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Beam here.

306 replies

Userlevel 1
Would love to try one of these in my household!
Just picked up the sonos Beam and thus far it is blowing me way. shame on a base levels (guessing the sub would be needed).
would be nice and it may already be there and i have not found it yet different EQ setting
Yes it’s there in the “room settings” and it sounds even more incredible with added surrounds too.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just picked up the sonos Beam and thus far it is blowing me way. shame on a base levels (guessing the sub would be needed).
would be nice and it may already be there and i have not found it yet different EQ setting
I love my Beam. Now if only you made a more affordable Sonos Sub! $700 is a bit too much for my budget. Something in the $300 to $350 price range would be ideal. Thanks! I agree! Previously owned a fairly cheap Samsung Soundbar and Sub, and do miss the sub a little. Live in an average semi-detached house with 3 young children, so can't have something that shakes the whole house, and can't justify paying for a Sonos Sub if I'm gonna have it turned right down.
I love my Beam. Now if only you made a more affordable Sonos Sub! $700 is a bit too much for my budget. Something in the $300 to $350 price range would be ideal. Thanks!
This is a great center speaker... Nothing more. Really was hoping for a PlayBar upgrade.... Guess Ill blow my money elsewhere.

I am happy to see the Beam has a HDMI-ARC input, but the Playbar is the product that really needs a HDMI-ARC input. The Playbar is falling behind technology wise, and can't compete with newer sound bars on the Market. The Beam is to small for my room, and without a HDMI-ARC input I will have to look for a sound bar from another company
Badge
OMG as the kids say, YES, YES and more YES!!! - So far just tested it with the techno with a pair of play1's in the conservatory and with the Beam/Play1's 5.0 in the lounge :D:D:D: - Surgeon / Luminosity Device / all of it / but track 2 onwards if you want to hear how techno bass should be..... Now to test with a bit of DD 5.1 ..... BRB - waiting for the 40th anniversary of the Nostromo passing by later ??
Dave,

I would be really interested to see what you think of adding the SUB to your surround setup and if it's worth considering.

I added a sub to a similar setup about a month ago. The Beam and Play:1s already make a capable 5.0 setup, and for the likes of basic cable TV I’d probably advise against adding a sub period. However, music and 5.1 sources do sound really well when the sub is added to the mix, especially when tuned wth Trueplay or manuall controls.
The base sounds great, obviously, but it also changes the characteristics of the Beam and Play:1 surrounds. They sound cleaner and more open, and the four units work well together to elevate fidelity to a higher level. Sonos deserve credit for this – every component you add genuinely lifts the whole setup. It’s quite subtle, but if you switch the sub on and off while playing audio, it’s there to hear.

I had been concerned that it might be a bit much for the neighbours, but the sub can be easily tamed with night mode or a bit of tuning. I’ve left mine at Trueplay settings.

The Sonos sub is an outrageously expensive component. A big part of recommendation comes down to how you can swallow the cost, how enthusiastic you are about your music or home cinema, and how many Sonos components you already have. To anyone considering owning a 5.1 Sonos setup, I’d say if you have good WiFi and deep pockets, if you need a tidy wireless solution for TV and music with access to all the streaming features, and your other TV equipment plays nice with Dolby signalling and DTS transcoding, than Sonos is a very good shout. Otherwise you might be better advised putting your money into traditional separates or a good wired package.
McMurdeR,

Thanks for taking the time to write that interesting and helpful review about the sub.

I do already have a DTS/Dolby 5.1 Sony HT system in the main living room area, but tend to set it to 'night mode' mostly, particularly after 7pm in the evening, as mentioned earlier.

Adjusting the Sony sound mode is a manual operation (side menu on TV or via Receiver/TV/Harmony remote) and more often than not, I find that I end up forgetting and leaving it in night mode, with little, or virtually no significant bass, but in fairness I play far less music through the Sony setup, than I do via the 4 Sonos Speakers that we presently have in that same room.

Most TV (cable/freeview) channels that we watch, obviously use PCM stereo audio and so I don’t miss the HT bass in most cases when simply watching general TV... it’s only when watching Netflix/Prime Movies, or playing music via Apple TV, that I immediately notice the difference and realise the setup has been left in 'night mode'.

I’m still in two minds to add the Sonos sub however to our Beam 5.0 setup, which is located on the same floor in the main dining room. It’s not our main 'listening' area, although from time to time, my wife and I may go in there to watch a good film, whilst having dinner, or I may listen to some music by myself, or use when we have family, or friends, around for a meal.

Even when family/friends come round for dinner, we tend to keep the volume down low, so that we can chat etc. So I’m not so sure my purchase of a sub would be entirely justified for those occasions. It would mostly be used for playing music whenever I go into that room to listen on my own, about once or twice a week for a few hours. Hence I have hesitated over this decision for a while.

I’m looking forward next to see what DavePM has to say about the sub, just to see how that compares to your review.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I’m still sat on the fence about the sub at the moment, but every opinion really does help.?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Dave,

I would be really interested to see what you think of adding the SUB to your surround setup and if it's worth considering.

I added a sub to a similar setup about a month ago. The Beam and Play:1s already make a capable 5.0 setup, and for the likes of basic cable TV I’d probably advise against adding a sub period. However, music and 5.1 sources do sound really well when the sub is added to the mix, especially when tuned wth Trueplay or manuall controls.
The base sounds great, obviously, but it also changes the characteristics of the Beam and Play:1 surrounds. They sound cleaner and more open, and the four units work well together to elevate fidelity to a higher level. Sonos deserve credit for this – every component you add genuinely lifts the whole setup. It’s quite subtle, but if you switch the sub on and off while playing audio, it’s there to hear.

I had been concerned that it might be a bit much for the neighbours, but the sub can be easily tamed with night mode or a bit of tuning. I’ve left mine at Trueplay settings.

The Sonos sub is an outrageously expensive component. A big part of recommendation comes down to how you can swallow the cost, how enthusiastic you are about your music or home cinema, and how many Sonos components you already have. To anyone considering owning a 5.1 Sonos setup, I’d say if you have good WiFi and deep pockets, if you need a tidy wireless solution for TV and music with access to all the streaming features, and your other TV equipment plays nice with Dolby signalling and DTS transcoding, than Sonos is a very good shout. Otherwise you might be better advised putting your money into traditional separates or a good wired package.
Ken, no problem, will do. I'm lucky as we're detached but wife not a big fan of "real loud" so .... I have read that it is all or nothing with these but then also that you can have them quite low and they fill the bass level that would otherwise be missing without shaking the street. I will see and feedback. As I"m a techno- head who loves big underground club sound systems I shall push it a bit, just to check like ???ha ha ..Cheers Dave, look forward to your 'hands on' review.. that’s very kind. Thanks very much!
Badge
Ken, no problem, will do. I'm lucky as we're detached but wife not a big fan of "real loud" so .... I have read that it is all or nothing with these but then also that you can have them quite low and they fill the bass level that would otherwise be missing without shaking the street. I will see and feedback. As I"m a techno- head who loves big underground club sound systems I shall push it a bit, just to check like ???
Dave,

I would be really interested to see what you think of adding the SUB to your surround setup and if it's worth considering. The wife and I thought that it might disturb our neighbours, so I have put that purchase aside, at the moment, for that reason. I am quite happy with the surround sound as it stands now, truth be told.

I have a Sony 5.1 DTS/Dolby system in another room, with a combined receiver/sub and find I leave that often in 'night mode' so not to disturb folk, but it does get some infrequent use, when there’s occasionally no one home next door. They have young children too, who are off to bed around 7pm, so I tend to lower volume after that time.

So I’m currently sat on the fence when it comes to adding the Sub to my setup. If you do (kindly) get a chance though, I would love to hear your thoughts at some later stage, of what you think of it.

Thanks ?.
Badge
Hi Ken, thanks. Must admit went straight over and ordered a refurb'd sub - can't wait. Will try it in the other room first with the stereo play1s set up to try before sticking it in the lounge for the 5.1. This modular concept is a brilliant marketing ploy ??
Dave,

Enjoyed reading your post above and can definitely relate to it, as I have a similar 5.0 working Beam surround setup here too. I love it and continue to recommend it to others, but I truly hope I’m never forced to watch Coronation Street in 5.1 surround sound.:D it’s bad enough being made to watch it, with the wife, in PCM stereo, particularly when the Man U v Chelsea game is showing live on BBC1.

I really need to buy another Beam for the TV and Play:1’s that I have in the bedroom, I think.?
Badge
I'm lovin' it - and just leaving this message here for the simpler souls who have no idea about home theater/surround sound like what I didn't :D:D:D. My only previous experience on improving the built in speakers of my TVs was linking JBL creatures out of the headphone socket (laugh all you like). Purchased Sonos Beam and a pair of Play1's with a view to being able to hear/understand dialogue and get a bit of oompf when spaceships fly by. Set it up to the TV (Hitachi 43HGT69U) HDMI/ARC port and got on with enjoying my home theater surround sound experience. Strapped for time it has taken me a month or so to get around to the idea that I wasn't experiencing what I was expecting. Feeling somewhat deflated I've been on a steep learning curve. The Beam seems to be registering input as stereo so I've assumed the TV isn't doing the Dolby 5.1 thing. Tried Youtube 5.1 tests to no avail. Swapped to the TVs optical output using Beam adapter. Changing settings on TV and cable box like it's going out of fashion.
After ordering a kwmobile EDID feeder a couple of nights ago I had a revelation (I think) - It's a basic principle (again, I think) that I was unaware of until 2 nights ago - The source data needs to be transmitted in 5.1!!!! (amazing, I know) - if it's transmitted in stereo then that's all the Beam has to handle, so that's what you get. Most TV programmes in the UK are stereo, so you won't suddenly get Corrie in amazing 5.1 surround!!.
Tested my theory by playing 5.1 Netflix movies - works a treat. Currently listening to KOYAANISQATSI (remastered 5.1 version) -superb!. Tried a bit of BBC1 HD last night while ChelseavManU was on (only a bit) and got that too.

So, for those having problems getting the 5.1 thing to work a couple of pointers I think....
1. Source material has to be 5.1
2. Haven't got any Dolby Digital option on the Hitachi - PCM option produces stereo regardless of source, Compressed will give 5.1 (also has Stereo/Dual I/Dual II so have gone with Dual II)
3. Sonos app option MORE/SETTINGS/ABOUT MY SONOS SYSTEM will show what audio in signal is being received by the Beam - Dolby Digital 5.1 is what you need for the full 5.1 experience. If this is displaying something else it doesn't necessarily mean your TV won't pass 5.1, just possibly that the source isn't 5.1
- (another useful value in here is the WM - this refers to which wireless mode is being used - 0=Sonosnet, 1= home wifi)
4. Sonos app option MORE/SETTINGS/ROOM SETTINGS/*name*(+LS+RS)/(Sound)ADVANCED AUDIO/SURROUND SETTINGS will give access to level settings for surround speakers - having a play with this will almost certainly help improve your experience. We were getting virtually nothing from them which wasn't helping then I found this setting - bingo!!

I am now running the Beam + 2 Play1's via the HDMI/ARC port and getting the 5.1 experience (soooo much better than the JBL Creatures) and I think the main thing to help the newbie with "a little knowledge being a dangerous thing" was the fact that the source needs to be in 5.1 (or Sonos compatible??). - Didn't need the EDID feeder after all- can go in the draw with the rest of the tech stuff I've bought but didn't end up needing

Wishlist:-
1 - (or maybe 2 - got a pair of Play1's doing stereo in another room) x Sub - really wanna feel them spaceships
2 - Having sold my soul to Google (no, really) just sitting here, twiddling my thumbs (in 5.1) awaiting Google Assistant..... tum-te-tum-te-tum

Hope this helps some of the less technically knowledgeable folks out there who are finding the whole thing somewhat daunting...... and expecting feedback from those who do know the subject, pointing out where I've gone wrong with my statements above.
Cheers,
Dave.
Hey thanks for the reply. It only works for music. Its really strange. Im watching breaking bad. All voice and normal sounds are the beam, the two play 1s only come on when loud music is playing. Whats the deal?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Mine connects fine and sets up fine, just NO sound bloody comes out of the two LS + RS Sonos Play 1 Speakers. What the hell? Why won't my Sonos surround sound work?
They connect through a Sonos Boost and were originally on their own as speakers. I don't get it???

Some people (like me) are asking an option for a "full channel stereo" option (like Denon and other HT equipment do and like Sonos do with music sources).
This will allow to use surround speakers also with a 2.0 stereo TV signal.
Mine connects fine and sets up fine, just NO sound bloody comes out of the two LS + RS Sonos Play 1 Speakers. What the hell? Why won't my Sonos surround sound work?
They connect through a Sonos Boost and were originally on their own as speakers. I don't get it???

You need a DD 5.1 signal or the surrounds won't be noticeable. To check your signal, got to Settings > About My Sonos System and look under the Beam entry. If you are not getting 5.1, you may need to set your TV/cable box to output "Bitstream" or "Dolby Digital".
Hi Sonos,

Im from Singapore. am i abe to use alexa here for my sonos beam i just bought?

Im not sure how to do it. Do let me know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Does it mention separate front speaker channels?:?

Not sure what 'it' is, but Sonos in a HT setup, the front channel speakers are all contained in the Beam (or playbar/playbase). Sonos doesn't have a way to have to have separate speaker devices for the front channels.
Does it mention separate front speaker channels?:?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey chicks, those displays are usually up to the store, but we have a team that helps out too. Mind sending me a PM with the store location and I'll pass it along to the team here so they can reach out?
Was at the local Best Buy on Sunday. They had the Beam on display, but there was no way to listen to it, lol. I don’t know if B.B. or Sonos is responsible for the in store display, but someone needs to get their act together.
Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

Do you have the play 5 on either side of the TV/beam or in another room?

No, I have the two Play:5's both at the right end of my seating area. So if I'm sitting in front of my TV, there's one on the right of the TV, and one on the right behind me. That's not ideal for the seating area, but for the rest of my open living room (dining area, kitchen) it's much better.