Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They could use surround trueplay, to balance all the speakers, so sounds hit the "sweet spot" all at the same time no matter how far the speakers are from each other.
It could be modular to get customers hooked, so you could start with new small centre & 2play1s, then add more units to expand to full 5.1 or 5.2 even.
Paulw123,

My current, but now a few years old, Sony 5.1 HT uses this device (see attached), which is a small circular microphone on a long 15-20 foot cable that you plug into the Sony receiver and position at the exact sweet spot location you choose in a room. The system then sends bleeps and sounds etc.at different frequencies from each speaker and sets up the entire audio system in less than 2 minutes. Obviously you can then manually adjust each speaker if you wish to customise its settings for your own personal requirements.

I think having such a mic positioned at the required sweet spot would help compliment and improve the existing Sonos trueplay setup.

It would of course be done with a mobile Sonos approved mic device rather than a cabled mic and it would be a feature in the trueplay setup where the user is prompted to place the mobile mic at the desired sweet spot location in the room.

At the moment there appears to be nothing in the trueplay settings that lets a user tell the system where the user chosen sweet spot is located. Such an improved feature would set all the EQ settings, treble, bass, balance etc; for each available speaker in a room.

A bit more complex than the current trueplay feature, but I think it's worth Sonos expanding their trueplay capabilities at some point in the future.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
TruePlay for HT already consists of two parts where the first part is for the sweetspot and the second is walking around
TruePlay for HT already consists of two parts where the first part is for the sweetspot and the second is walking around
I honestly didn’t realise that, thanks Damon77... obviously I haven’t yet moved to the Sonos HT, as I was waiting for the 2nd Gen version of the PlayBar and my only trueplay experience has been with my Sonos speakers, standalone and paired.

I keep learning !
Have been waiting ages for a playbar 2 with HDMI, shame it didn't happen. But this might fit my needs in the short term. Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC? If I can't get 5.1 out of Netflix then it's a deal breaker for me.
Thanks
Peter
Hello, I know it has probably been asked before but can someone confirm that the sonos beam will be able to connect to the two sonos play: 3's I have in my living room to create surround sound?
Hello, I know it has probably been asked before but can someone confirm that the sonos beam will be able to connect to the two sonos play: 3's I have in my living room to create surround sound?
Yes, they will bond with the Beam Bar. See Ryan's opening post in this thread, which confirms that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Since Beam has Airplay 2 and AirPlay 2 has stereo pairing now, can I stereo pair 2 Beams via AirPlay 2? The reason I’m asking is because I like the slim design for the kitchen. Beam would tuck up under the cabinets nicely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
From what I've read, stereo pairing is for homepod only.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It would be great if Sonos could add that capability. They have the technology! Don’t really want to use AirPlay if I don’t have to. Although a single Beam may be more than enough in the kitchen.
I wonder if there’s something in a legal agreement between Apple and Sonos that might prohibit that. Would probably be an interesting read, either way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC?
You bet! Beam does a handshake with the TV over HDMI-ARC and asks for Dolby Digital 5.1. If the TV has an Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam instead. The formats by specifications are compatible, assuming the devices are handling it properly.

This is correct, though there is some grouping functionality that'll work. More on that later when we're ready to share all the details around Airplay 2 and Sonos.
I wonder if there’s something in a legal agreement between Apple and Sonos that might prohibit that. Would probably be an interesting read, either way.
Why would Sonos need Airplay for stereo pairing/grouping, if they have already developed their own method(s) which accomplish that purpose a long time ago :? Despite being in a sort of partnership, Apple and Sonos are two different companies (and competing brands) after all.
Certainly agree, but I could see a world in which Apple would say "yes, you can use our technology (i.e. we'll help you before it's in public hands) under the proviso that you don't do these 6 things, ever. Apple could pull the licensing (if there is any) from Sonos if Sonos oversteps a line.

Could be completely wrong, and Apple is as open as Sonos appears to be with adding new services.....but I do have my doubts.
Why should Sonos adopt a brand new (unproven) technology for grouping/stereo pairing, and perhaps discard their own trusted method for it in the first place?
OK, you win. I'll stop posting possible scenarios that may or may not have any validity. Sorry to waste so much of your time.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Why should Sonos adopt a brand new (unproven) technology for grouping/stereo pairing, and perhaps discard their own trusted method for it in the first place?

I agree but its already been stated that Beam can't be stereo paired via Sonos. Wanted to know if Airplay 2 stereo pairing would work since device is Airplay 2 capable. I see no reason why Sonos couldn't offer stereo pair via their own method.

I would prefer to use 1,3 or 5 but I like the profile of the Beam for a kitchen space. I'm not interested in connecting to a TV. I just want to use it for music.
Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC?
You bet! Beam does a handshake with the TV over HDMI-ARC and asks for Dolby Digital 5.1. If the TV has an Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam instead. The formats by specifications are compatible, assuming the devices are handling it properly.

Well that is really good news. Thank-you Now for a small feature request, it's early days I know, but can we pair a further two Sonos speakers for front left and right. This speaker is crying out for expansion and I can't see a technical reason why this cannot be done.
OK, you win. I'll stop posting possible scenarios that may or may not have any validity. Sorry to waste so much of your time.
Nobody 'wins'. Bruce, I didn't mean to offend you.

I agree but its already been stated that Beam can't be stereo paired via Sonos. Wanted to know if Airplay 2 stereo pairing would work since device is Airplay 2 capable. I see no reason why Sonos couldn't offer stereo pair via their own method. [...]
Actually, the Beam is intended to serve as a 'baby' soundbar for TVs, and you can't stereo pair Playbase or Playbar either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Well that is really good news. Thank-you Now for a small feature request, it's early days I know, but can we pair a further two Sonos speakers for front left and right. This speaker is crying out for expansion and I can't see a technical reason why this cannot be done.
I'll pass along the request for you. No news I can share about if it'll happen one day, but I'll make sure your interest is shared.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

does this apply also for DTS if the TV is fed a DTS signal ?
Am I able to play house music through my Play 1's and the Beam, without having the TV on? We VERY frequently have the TV, and just music through the house. I would love to remove the play 1 from the living room, use the BEAM in that room, and place my play 1 in another room.

does this apply also for DTS if the TV is fed a DTS signal ?

No change whatsoever regarding supported codecs, according to a company representative on the German-speaking board.
Am I able to play house music through my Play 1's and the Beam, without having the TV on? We VERY frequently have the TV, and just music through the house. I would love to remove the play 1 from the living room, use the BEAM in that room, and place my play 1 in another room.

Yes. With the TV off and a music source playing, the Beam will work just like any other Sonos speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Richer sounds advert says:-
"cinema-quality sound with whatever you're watching"
Oh dear, some more disappointed 4k disc owners going to get caught out with DTS and no sound at all, still they will be able to watch fantastic images ;O)