Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Hello, I know it has probably been asked before but can someone confirm that the sonos beam will be able to connect to the two sonos play: 3's I have in my living room to create surround sound?
Have been waiting ages for a playbar 2 with HDMI, shame it didn't happen. But this might fit my needs in the short term. Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC? If I can't get 5.1 out of Netflix then it's a deal breaker for me.
Thanks
Peter
TruePlay for HT already consists of two parts where the first part is for the sweetspot and the second is walking around
I honestly didn’t realise that, thanks Damon77... obviously I haven’t yet moved to the Sonos HT, as I was waiting for the 2nd Gen version of the PlayBar and my only trueplay experience has been with my Sonos speakers, standalone and paired.

I keep learning !
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
TruePlay for HT already consists of two parts where the first part is for the sweetspot and the second is walking around
Paulw123,

My current, but now a few years old, Sony 5.1 HT uses this device (see attached), which is a small circular microphone on a long 15-20 foot cable that you plug into the Sony receiver and position at the exact sweet spot location you choose in a room. The system then sends bleeps and sounds etc.at different frequencies from each speaker and sets up the entire audio system in less than 2 minutes. Obviously you can then manually adjust each speaker if you wish to customise its settings for your own personal requirements.

I think having such a mic positioned at the required sweet spot would help compliment and improve the existing Sonos trueplay setup.

It would of course be done with a mobile Sonos approved mic device rather than a cabled mic and it would be a feature in the trueplay setup where the user is prompted to place the mobile mic at the desired sweet spot location in the room.

At the moment there appears to be nothing in the trueplay settings that lets a user tell the system where the user chosen sweet spot is located. Such an improved feature would set all the EQ settings, treble, bass, balance etc; for each available speaker in a room.

A bit more complex than the current trueplay feature, but I think it's worth Sonos expanding their trueplay capabilities at some point in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They could use surround trueplay, to balance all the speakers, so sounds hit the "sweet spot" all at the same time no matter how far the speakers are from each other.
It could be modular to get customers hooked, so you could start with new small centre & 2play1s, then add more units to expand to full 5.1 or 5.2 even.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Instead of a playbar update, I would like a cheaper to make, smaller centre channel only speaker, with 4k passthrough, 4 hdmi, that could do all the lifting for 5.1 of higher codecs, then add 4x play1's and a sub.
Technically there's nothing stopping them from doing that in software anyways. They have a 5.1 signal coming in, they have an ecosystem built around you buying multiple speakers, they have regular software updates. There's no real reason why it couldn't be that. Whether or not they do though I think depends on how much people actually care about surround.

And HDMI passthrough? It's ultimately just a work around for the fact that ARC doesn't support some of the higher end codecs. And when push comes to shove those higher specs on the box is all for absolutely nothing when you have to drop back to HDMI ARC anyways. Eg when using one of the many apps on your smart TV.

I would be happy to have the 4K pass-thru and added HDMI ports, but I’m sure I could live with just the one HDMI 2.1 plus the usual ethernet port.
If it was HDMI 2.1 the passthrough would be unnecessary. Assuming your TV is also HDMI 2.1 and supports eARC. It'll be a good day for everyone when audio devices only need one cable running to them.
I don't think anybody was hoping for a cheaper tv sound bar, Sonos already had 2 tv options.
But the beam makes very good financial sense. Both my daughters have tvs in their rooms, and chromecast GPM to them, quite nice to see large display of album art, but with crap sound. By adding a beam they could have sound good enough for a bedroom from a single box, and could soon airplay2 to it from apple music.

Instead of a playbar update, I would like a cheaper to make, smaller centre channel only speaker, with 4k passthrough, 4 hdmi, that could do all the lifting for 5.1 of higher codecs, then add 4x play1's and a sub.
I have only experienced DTS:X once on my AVR from a blu-ray, and it was fantastic with sound separation, noticeable better.

Yes, I like the idea of a Sonos centre channel only speaker instead of a full (3.0) huge PlayBar. The new SONOS CENTER should be capable of handling 4 (or more !) surround speakers that provide upward firing audio too, plus a sub. I would like to see a surround system that is maximised for any Room using a version of trueplay that utilises decent microphones in all the speakers. Support for the newer codecs like ATMOS (Virtual) etc. would be great (and essential) with the upward firing aspect of new style surrounds.

The SONOS CENTRE speaker should have built in AirPlay and support for all the usual voice assistants. It should be capable of vertical, aswell as horizontal orientation and (maybe) allow for another 'grouped' centre channel speaker to be included in the array.

I would be happy to have the 4K pass-thru and added HDMI ports, but I’m sure I could live with just the one HDMI 2.1 plus the usual ethernet port.

That’s what I would like, as i think it would be more practical in most homes rather than a full blown Atmos setup with downward firing ceiling speakers etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't think anybody was hoping for a cheaper tv sound bar, Sonos already had 2 tv options.
But the beam makes very good financial sense. Both my daughters have tvs in their rooms, and chromecast GPM to them, quite nice to see large display of album art, but with crap sound. By adding a beam they could have sound good enough for a bedroom from a single box, and could soon airplay2 to it from apple music.

I have only experienced DTS:X once on my AVR from a blu-ray, and it was fantastic with sound separation, noticeable better.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
There's two ways to (correctly) look at the new Beam:
1. It's a smaller, cheaper version of the Play Bar that connects to your TV out via optical.
2. For those with a modern TV with HDMI-ARC, it's an improved product which connects to your TV and other peripherals in the way that is likely to be commonplace and standard going forward.

I tend to agree and for me it's a bit of both. I've been eyeing off the soundbar for a while now but it's just too expensive for me to justify. I just want better sound for my TV than the built in speakers and I'm always looking to expand my Sonos setup. For $1000AU? I could get a mid-range "good enough" soundbar from Sony/Samsung/LG and have some left over for a couple of Play 1s or a better new TV when I upgrade.

But the Beam is $600AU so all of a sudden I'm comparing it directly to those mid range soundbars. It's about $100AU more than the sale price of a soundbar I was seriously considering. That's $100AU for adding another zone to my Sonos setup and being able to group another room with the sound from the TV. Not bad especially now it supports HDMI-ARC

I couldn't care less about Atmos, 5.1 or extra IO. If I wanted all of that and was willing to pay for it I'd already have a surround sound setup with a Connect thrown in for good measure. I think people asking for that are kinda missing what this product is about. For me? This is exactly the product I was looking for. A cheaper version of the soundbar.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Did you say this was what you expected on the forum?
Did amyone?
Badge +12
Sonos confirms that the beam was what I expected, a price point speaker design to give flat screen better sound. But not the speaker for movie buffs looking for the great sound experience of dolby.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/144777-sonos-and-dolby-atmos-possible-but-not-right-for-new-beam-speaker
Badge

what i meant is, since i have the avr hooked up to the hdmi-arc port on the tv already, then i don't have another arc port for the beam, and it's not likely that i'll be unplugging it each time i wanna use the beam or the avr.

But why would you want both the Beam and a receiver based surround sound system on one TV?
because i only have 1 tv. i have a 5.1 set up for movies, which i use every few days, but it's overkill and unnecessary for the kids watching youtube and netflix, so i think a soundbar would be more suitable, and uses less energy. i will only be using the beam for the kids, no surrounds or other speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
if the optical adapter is used - how can the volume be controlled ? is there IR sensor / passthrough also like in the playbar ? otherwise you have to use the sonos app which is pretty unfriendly just to change TV volume !

That is a very good point. Personally, I have no idea.

There is an IR sensor on Beam, just like with the Playbar and Playbase. You can also use the Sonos app, or your voice. Volume controls are also on the device or on surrounds if you add them in.

I wanted to buy playbar since 2014 but kept on waiting for new one. I was ready to buy the new playbar but when it came out, it is for small rooms. My TV room is quite big it is basically open Living room with dining table in the back, will it be ok to have Beam with Sub and 2 one's? The room size probably is length 10 by width 5. Do you think it will give good sound? And Also will be better to have 2 one all the way in the back or in the middle before dining table?
That's a tough one to answer. The Beam has surprisingly big sound for the size, but based on what's in the room and how it's laid out, it may not cover the room. I'd say it's probably worth testing it out if you're interested. We have a pretty great money back guaranty when purchased through us directly.

what i meant is, since i have the avr hooked up to the hdmi-arc port on the tv already, then i don't have another arc port for the beam, and it's not likely that i'll be unplugging it each time i wanna use the beam or the avr.

But why would you want both the Beam and a receiver based surround sound system on one TV?

Shirley the AVR (AV Receiver?) is using the HDMI-ARC port, so the Beam can't be connected to it.

Although I'm a bit mystified why you would want both an AVR and a Beam connected at the same time.

Cheers,

Keith

That was kind of my question. I thought he would be replacing the AVR, not using both on the same TV.

And don't call me Shirley. 😃
Badge
oh that kinda sucks. i'm currently using a traditional 5.1 setup, hdmi-arc from avr to hdmi-arc TV, and i'm not giving that up yet. decisions decisions!

Why would you need to give that up? The Beam has an HDMI port and supports HDMI ARC.
if the optical adapter is used - how can the volume be controlled ? is there IR sensor / passthrough also like in the playbar ? otherwise you have to use the sonos app which is pretty unfriendly just to change TV volume !

That is a very good point. Personally, I have no idea.

Cheers,

Keith
oh that kinda sucks. i'm currently using a traditional 5.1 setup, hdmi-arc from avr to hdmi-arc TV, and i'm not giving that up yet. decisions decisions!

Why would you need to give that up? The Beam has an HDMI port and supports HDMI ARC.

Shirley the AVR (AV Receiver?) is using the HDMI-ARC port, so the Beam can't be connected to it.

Although I'm a bit mystified why you would want both an AVR and a Beam connected at the same time.

Cheers,

Keith

Userlevel 2
Badge
Atmos from the soundbar alone may not sound great but why not the option for Atmos with the Beam +other sonos speakers/connects /subs ? I dont get what Sonos is doing. They need to fix fast forward rewind and pause as well for Sirius on demand and other services. Lots of head scratching with Sonos these days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I wanted to buy playbar since 2014 but kept on waiting for new one. I was ready to buy the new playbar but when it came out, it is for small rooms. My TV room is quite big it is basically open Living room with dining table in the back, will it be ok to have Beam with Sub and 2 one's? The room size probably is length 10 by width 5. Do you think it will give good sound? And Also will be better to have 2 one all the way in the back or in the middle before dining table?
Badge
If I use optical connection on the beam to tv, would I miss any of the new features over HDMI?

Yes, optical does not have CEC capabilities, so the Beam will not be able to control your TV On/Off, input switch, etc.
If I use optical connection on the beam to tv, would I miss any of the new features over HDMI?

Yes, optical does not have CEC capabilities, so the Beam will not be able to control your TV On/Off, input switch, etc.