Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

I see Bose has Dolby and DTS on their soundbar.

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.

Can you guys please stop with this rubbish? Sonos make fantastic products, but just admit the truth, You have left DTS out due to it being a cost issue. No-one would cripple a great product and cop so much backlash from people on this forum, not to mention it being mentioned in almost every review, if there wasn't a cost issue in doing it. There are workarounds sure, but they nearly all fly in the face of the simplicity buying sonos is meant to achieve. Ditto to the massive oversight on having no HDMI in on the Beam, meaning you lose a valuable HDMI Port on the TV to only audio.

Or maybe due to DTS having a competing product in DTS Play-Fi, they are not willing to license their proprietary codec to a direct competitor? Could that be a possible explanation?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What's the pro about pre-ordering the new Sonos Beam?
Isn't it the same to wait for it and then buy it?
Is there a bonus on being an early adopter?

The only thing I'm aware of it is that you can have it delivered release day without having to go to a store to purchase it.

Speaking of going to the store, I just got back from running some errands and took a peek in my local Best Buy. The Beam was out on display. You could do some sound comparison between Beam/Playbar/Playbase. I was impressed personally. It looks very nice and sound rather close to the playbar, particularly on the low end. In the middle of the store isn't the best location for a sound test, but I'd image most customers are going for the beam, due to price and additional features.
Badge
So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?
So disappointed in not having Google Assistant or even mentioning that it's planned. I don't use Alexa and I'm not going to switch.
Hello! I received my Beam yesterday and it’s amazing!
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hello! I received my Beam yesterday and it’s amazing!
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.

I have this configuration, 2 Play:1 as surrounds and I’m really impressed with the good sound!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please, please, please enable Dolby Atmos support on the Beam! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Jgatie - apologies for not understanding. In which case, even less reason to include Atmos on the playbar then?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Got my Beam 2 days ago and absolutely delighted with it. Setup was an absolute breeze, especially as I already own 3 Sonos Ones so Alexa is already configured.

Within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, everything was set up! The TV's sound was automatically coming through the Beam in perfect sync, I could control the volume with the TV remote, and turn the TV on and off with Alexa. I didn't have to change a single setting on the TV to get it working perfectly and sounding spot-on.

Using my Beam with a 49 inch 2017 LG Smart UHD TV (not an OLED one, just one of the lower-end models). In a fairly small living room and it sounds great. Can't imagine ever needing to use it at more than about 50%-60% volume, even for movies.

Bought my first Sonos One in December last year. Now have 3 Ones and the Beam in a 4-room multiroom system. The addiction is in full swing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Dolby Atmos requires a lot more bandwidth than the 1 Mbps that HDMI-ARC provides. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PROVIDE ATMOS AUDIO OVER HDMI-ARC. The only way Atmos could have been provided now is if Sonos provided an HDMI passthrough... but then only one device would have Atmos support... everything else connected to the TV would still be limited to DD 5.1.

If Sonos is able to upgrade their HDMI firmware to support eARC later this year or early next year, THEN they'd be able to support Atmos and other encoding formats that need more bandwidth... assuming your TV also gets upgraded to support eARC or has HDMI 2.1.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Oh man... so I was semi-excited about listen to the new Sonos Beam today. I've been longing for a Playbar 2.0 in white for several years and thought to myself, maybe, just maybe that the Beam would blow me away and that I could feel satisfied with the additional and updated tech, support for AirPlay 2, white (it's a big deal) and so on... but what a downer... utterly unimpressed. We compared it with the old Playbar (soundwise) and even other soundbars from other vendors. Spent an hour and a half back and forth to get a feel of it but the verdict is NO - thumbs down. Leaving the HIFI store I realized that it's not worth waiting for Sonos to get a 2.0 Playbar out there when they showed us other and much better sounding and "techier" soundbars such as the one we listened on from BlueSound, wireless, AirPlay 2 coming and it's available in white etc. Maybe it's time for me to say goodbye to Sonos and the everlasting dream of a white 2.0 version of the Playbar.

The Beam was never aimed at replacing the Playbar - the price-point made that clear.

No it is probably not going to be sufficient if you want the true, big daddy home theatre experience. However if you want one single speaker for your living room that essentially does it all (TV soundbar / Music streamer / Smart assistant), I'd say the Beam absolutely nails the brief in all but the largest of living-rooms.

Sonos is onto a winner here in my view. Their most versatile speaker ever.
Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

Do you have the play 5 on either side of the TV/beam or in another room?

No, I have the two Play:5's both at the right end of my seating area. So if I'm sitting in front of my TV, there's one on the right of the TV, and one on the right behind me. That's not ideal for the seating area, but for the rest of my open living room (dining area, kitchen) it's much better.
So I guess my question is which is going to sound better... the beam playing a 5.1 with a sub and 2 surround speakers or a playbase/playbar playing 5.1 with a sub and 2 surrounds?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will I be able to send same stereo at the same time to back speakers without delay?
Surrounds will be playing off of the 5GHz, so they're in sync and without delay. The stereo signal will get upmixed like it is on other Sonos home theater players already, so you won't get an echo of the stereo, but you will hear audio out of the back.

Whatever sonos use for ‘upmixing’ PCM does next to nothing in my setup. 5.1 works fine from the rears but decent pro logic style upmixing of stereo it definitely isn’t.

A big part of that depends on what's playing. The upmix should be pretty comparable, but if you're mostly watching sportscasting, news, or content with lots of "talking heads" and dialogue, that audio is supposed to come out of the front, center channel. Surrounds should be playing music and some other reverberating sounds.

Sorry nicka99 and Ryan, can you explain better?
Before I knew it was not possible with tv signal but only streaming music.
Thanks

If you're talking about the synced audio, TV audio played via the surround sound setups on Sonos are 100% in sync by design. If you're trying to send TV audio to other rooms that are grouped (not bonded), they could be slightly off. This is because the audio has to be sent over 2.4GHz for grouped players, and not the 5GHz for bonded stereo speakers.
For an entry level sound bar I could see it being a decent performer, but Sonos really needs to talk about supporting new codecs and improvements to their home theater systems.

I got into the Sonos ecosystem pretty hard this year and it sounds great while deliver fantastic smart features, but it’s a little disappointing that it doesn’t support a whole lot of codecs as is and what the roadmap is going forward for those kind of things.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Why am I first hearing about this from Apple news?
Just out of curiosity, since Dolby Atmos requires ceiling speakers, how does one expect to mount Sonos speakers, with their power requirements, in the ceiling? One, I would find it an eyesore to have power cables and outlets in my ceiling. Two, just the need for power cables has me not using my Playbar for 5.1 in my bedroom, and never having a Playbar in my main theater. I'm currently purchasing a condo in new construction, and I am going to have Atmos and surround speakers pre-wired. Even with bare studs, I would never resort to outlets in the ceiling, because walls or not, if I'm wiring the ceiling, I'm wiring for speakers, not power, and will get a full home theater experience in the process.

Of course, YMMV (which is why I ask).
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Just out of curiosity, since Dolby Atmos requires ceiling speakers, how does one expect to mount Sonos speakers, with their power requirements, in the ceiling? One, I would find it an eyesore to have power cables and outlets in my ceiling. Two, just the need for power cables has me not using my Playbar for 5.1 in my bedroom, and never having a Playbar in my main theater. I'm currently purchasing a condo in new construction, and I am going to have Atmos and surround speakers pre-wired. Even with bare studs, I would never resort to outlets in the ceiling, because walls or not, if I'm wiring the ceiling, I'm wiring for speakers, not power, and will get a full home theater experience in the process.

Of course, YMMV (which is why I ask).

Not something Sonos users will likely need to worry about, at least this decade 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can anyone else state how they plan to mount Sonos speakers on the ceiling? It's a serious question, for I may have misinterpreted the request, and would welcome being corrected.

Nothing says speakers need to be mounted in/on the ceiling... while that would certainly provide the BEST Atmos/DTS-X experience, many audio systems are relying on reflected audio... directing audio toward the ceiling at an angle, to reflect it back down to you the viewer. This is definitely math and science though, so the angle needed has a lot to do with speaker height, ceiling height and how far away you're sitting... but it's an alternative that many see as acceptable to keep the setup simple.
I love my Beam. Now if only you made a more affordable Sonos Sub! $700 is a bit too much for my budget. Something in the $300 to $350 price range would be ideal. Thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Any custom installation with minimalist look is going to need the wires concealed whether that it ethernet, power or speaker wire. Sucess in the venture depends on DIY skills, budget etc.

I think most who have voiced a need for an upgraded playbar have primarily wanted higher res audio streams rather than the ability to have umpteen speakers scattered around.

I agree if one is going nuts and implementing full 360 speakers for the full Atoms effect Current Sonos speakers, even with a new playbar supporting hdmi audio and atmos would be a compromised solution in terms placement and concealment.

But as has been said previously there’s no mandate to require downward facing speakers and pretty much any ‘wireless’ vendor has the same challenge unless they go battery operated and provide a step ladder as part of the package.

PS: my comment was aimed at sonos, not you. So don’t be so tetchy!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Lots of people are not impressed. Look at all the reviewers that were at the event.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The dimensions are listed as 25.625 x 3.94 x 2.70 in. Which of 3.94 and 2.7 in. is the height and depth? I have a small space between my mantel and TV, so I am hoping the height is the 2.7 in. Thanks.
It's wider than it is high. The dimensions are L x W x H.

I'm pretty new to Sonos, will the Beam connect to my Sonos One? Or is basically the same thing but for a TV

You can pair two Sonos Ones as surround speakers with a Beam (though Alexa will be disabled on the surrounds), or you can group a Sonos One with a Beam, where they'll play the same things, but not as a surround sound setup. And of course, you can use them both in different rooms independently from each other, just like with every other Sonos device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have a few questions:-
1. If I preorder today when is the money taken? Straight away or on dispatch?
2. I’ve got two play 1s on stands. I guess I can use these as rears in 5.1 now? Shame as others mentioned can’t just use beam as a centre in a 3.0 system!
3. I’ve read elsewhere that if you have one AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos product you can use AirPlay 2 to older Sonos 1s, amp and connect...is that correct?

1. On dispatch, though there is a pre-authorization made when the pre-order is put through.
2. Surround rears, for sure. Beam has side firing speakers which make a wide soundstage and cover the side front channels.
3. Absolutely. Beam will work like a receiver for the Airplay 2 signal, and you can group it with older Sonos players that don't have the hardware to handle that signal. They'll then be able to play the sound together.