Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Also question... When Sonos release Google Assistant, will I be able to say OK Google to my Beam and it will listen like Google Home and Mini? Ie will the assistant be naively running on the Beam?

Yes and no. I'm sure the Beam won't have the same firmware on it as the Google products do, but it will have it's own firmware that communicates with Google's cloud for Home. So yes, you will be able to give commands to the Beam and it will execute those commands...play music etc. However, I'd be surprised if it does everything a Google Home will do, same as the Beam won't do everything an echo will do. For example, I doubt you'll be able to make voice calls with a Beam. I don't know, I am just speculating on that.

And to be clear, you very likely won't need to get a Beam or Sonos One to control Sonos with Google Home. You should be able to tell you're existing Google Home and it will pass the command on to Sonos.
Badge
I was getting excited when I heard abut support for hdmi, then this.. small price meant for a small room no atmos (netflix and others are using that) Still innovation is behind it's time It's like 6.2 pounds slightly more weight than a play 3 so how would it compare to a play 3 Play 3 one tweeter, two mid woofers Beam is four full range woofers and one tweeter. Play 5 3 tweeters and three mid woofers playbase 18 lbs, playbar 11.9, Play 5 14 lbs, Play 3 5.71 lbs weight may not be everything but it does state what you are getting when you compare that to speakers. so how will it stack up..Note I can use a dot echo for controls. No pre order for me - instead I'll wait for the store and see"
Currently use chrome cast to turn on my TV and everything plays through my playbar and sub. Amazon has a cube that turns on TV as well now.
May be it will be OK in a bedroom....
second new product in recent years and for me I am again met with disappointment. (playbase was the other)..Maybe I expect to much for 2018. I guess they really don't want my money.

If you want atmos you best look elsewhere - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/sound-bar.html
It took them a long time to get to hdmi

It is disappointing, but the beam is a price point sound bar, aim at the biggest segment of the sound bar market. Something simply that will give you a good upgrade form most flat screen TV sound. I wish it had been a upgrade for the playbar. Just got a new tv, and while I love sonos for music. I just can not bring myself to invest in sonos for my home theater.

I just ordered the Beam 5.1 pack to give it a try for 100 days and will see.

My biggest issue is now they have HDMI, but dont decode DTS HD MA, or other higher quality formats, so im very worried about how my content will play.
I have a small/medium sized lounge, so hoping the Beam will fill it nicely with the 5.1

I am also a little disappointing that they did HDMI and didnt give us anything really good to go with it, like a new Playbar refresh.
I definitely dont want to purchase older tech and be stuck with optical too.

So unfortunately for me its only Beam, and hoping they will add in new audio codecs later or even a new refreshed Playbar.
So lets see.

Also question... When Sonos release Google Assistant, will I be able to say OK Google to my Beam and it will listen like Google Home and Mini? Ie will the assistant be naively running on the Beam?
Badge +2
I was getting excited when I heard abut support for hdmi, then this.. small price meant for a small room no atmos (netflix and others are using that) Still innovation is behind it's time It's like 6.2 pounds slightly more weight than a play 3 so how would it compare to a play 3 Play 3 one tweeter, two mid woofers Beam is four full range woofers and one tweeter. Play 5 3 tweeters and three mid woofers playbase 18 lbs, playbar 11.9, Play 5 14 lbs, Play 3 5.71 lbs weight may not be everything but it does state what you are getting when you compare that to speakers. so how will it stack up..Note I can use a dot echo for controls. No pre order for me - instead I'll wait for the store and see"
Currently use chrome cast to turn on my TV and everything plays through my playbar and sub. Amazon has a cube that turns on TV as well now.
second new product in recent years and for me I am again met with disappointment. (playbase was the other)..Maybe I expect to much for 2018. I guess they really don't want my money.

If you want atmos you best look elsewhere - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/sound-bar.html

It is disappointing, but the beam is a price point sound bar, aim at the biggest segment of the sound bar market. Something simply that will give you a good upgrade form most flat screen TV sound. I wish it had been a upgrade for the playbar. Just got a new tv, and while I love sonos for music. I just can not bring myself to invest in sonos for my home theater.
It will never be a 5.1 system because the sound bar will never be wide enough to really ever give the left right channel. The bar would have to be only a center channel. I could never use this in my media room....It's Ok in my living room...but the beam...well that may be ok in a bedroom only..replacing my first gen play 5...but just a maybe on that
As for atmos...at most it would be good for is in a bedroom maybe...lol....those firing up to ceiling atmos speakers are really NOT that great when you have heard ceiling mounted ones.
Badge +12

Badge +2

So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?

As I understand the Beam, it is considered a 3.0 speaker. Then adding the Sub makes it a 3.1 and then adding 2 rear speakers makes it a true 5.1 system. Is that not correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Richer sounds advert says:-
"cinema-quality sound with whatever you're watching"
Oh dear, some more disappointed 4k disc owners going to get caught out with DTS and no sound at all, still they will be able to watch fantastic images ;O)
Am I able to play house music through my Play 1's and the Beam, without having the TV on? We VERY frequently have the TV, and just music through the house. I would love to remove the play 1 from the living room, use the BEAM in that room, and place my play 1 in another room.

Yes. With the TV off and a music source playing, the Beam will work just like any other Sonos speaker.
Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC?
You bet! Beam does a handshake with the TV over HDMI-ARC and asks for Dolby Digital 5.1. If the TV has an Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam instead. The formats by specifications are compatible, assuming the devices are handling it properly.

does this apply also for DTS if the TV is fed a DTS signal ?

No change whatsoever regarding supported codecs, according to a company representative on the German-speaking board.
Am I able to play house music through my Play 1's and the Beam, without having the TV on? We VERY frequently have the TV, and just music through the house. I would love to remove the play 1 from the living room, use the BEAM in that room, and place my play 1 in another room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Will this thing decode 5.1 from a dolby digital plus signal from a smart TV via ARC?
You bet! Beam does a handshake with the TV over HDMI-ARC and asks for Dolby Digital 5.1. If the TV has an Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam instead. The formats by specifications are compatible, assuming the devices are handling it properly.

does this apply also for DTS if the TV is fed a DTS signal ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Well that is really good news. Thank-you Now for a small feature request, it's early days I know, but can we pair a further two Sonos speakers for front left and right. This speaker is crying out for expansion and I can't see a technical reason why this cannot be done.
I'll pass along the request for you. No news I can share about if it'll happen one day, but I'll make sure your interest is shared.
OK, you win. I'll stop posting possible scenarios that may or may not have any validity. Sorry to waste so much of your time.
Nobody 'wins'. Bruce, I didn't mean to offend you.

I agree but its already been stated that Beam can't be stereo paired via Sonos. Wanted to know if Airplay 2 stereo pairing would work since device is Airplay 2 capable. I see no reason why Sonos couldn't offer stereo pair via their own method. [...]
Actually, the Beam is intended to serve as a 'baby' soundbar for TVs, and you can't stereo pair Playbase or Playbar either.

Well that is really good news. Thank-you Now for a small feature request, it's early days I know, but can we pair a further two Sonos speakers for front left and right. This speaker is crying out for expansion and I can't see a technical reason why this cannot be done.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Why should Sonos adopt a brand new (unproven) technology for grouping/stereo pairing, and perhaps discard their own trusted method for it in the first place?

I agree but its already been stated that Beam can't be stereo paired via Sonos. Wanted to know if Airplay 2 stereo pairing would work since device is Airplay 2 capable. I see no reason why Sonos couldn't offer stereo pair via their own method.

I would prefer to use 1,3 or 5 but I like the profile of the Beam for a kitchen space. I'm not interested in connecting to a TV. I just want to use it for music.
OK, you win. I'll stop posting possible scenarios that may or may not have any validity. Sorry to waste so much of your time.
Why should Sonos adopt a brand new (unproven) technology for grouping/stereo pairing, and perhaps discard their own trusted method for it in the first place?
Certainly agree, but I could see a world in which Apple would say "yes, you can use our technology (i.e. we'll help you before it's in public hands) under the proviso that you don't do these 6 things, ever. Apple could pull the licensing (if there is any) from Sonos if Sonos oversteps a line.

Could be completely wrong, and Apple is as open as Sonos appears to be with adding new services.....but I do have my doubts.
I wonder if there’s something in a legal agreement between Apple and Sonos that might prohibit that. Would probably be an interesting read, either way.
Why would Sonos need Airplay for stereo pairing/grouping, if they have already developed their own method(s) which accomplish that purpose a long time ago :? Despite being in a sort of partnership, Apple and Sonos are two different companies (and competing brands) after all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

From what I've read, stereo pairing is for homepod only.
This is correct, though there is some grouping functionality that'll work. More on that later when we're ready to share all the details around Airplay 2 and Sonos.
I wonder if there’s something in a legal agreement between Apple and Sonos that might prohibit that. Would probably be an interesting read, either way.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It would be great if Sonos could add that capability. They have the technology! Don’t really want to use AirPlay if I don’t have to. Although a single Beam may be more than enough in the kitchen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Since Beam has Airplay 2 and AirPlay 2 has stereo pairing now, can I stereo pair 2 Beams via AirPlay 2? The reason I’m asking is because I like the slim design for the kitchen. Beam would tuck up under the cabinets nicely.
Hello, I know it has probably been asked before but can someone confirm that the sonos beam will be able to connect to the two sonos play: 3's I have in my living room to create surround sound?
Yes, they will bond with the Beam Bar. See Ryan's opening post in this thread, which confirms that.