Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Any custom installation with minimalist look is going to need the wires concealed whether that it ethernet, power or speaker wire. Sucess in the venture depends on DIY skills, budget etc.

I think most who have voiced a need for an upgraded playbar have primarily wanted higher res audio streams rather than the ability to have umpteen speakers scattered around.

I agree if one is going nuts and implementing full 360 speakers for the full Atoms effect Current Sonos speakers, even with a new playbar supporting hdmi audio and atmos would be a compromised solution in terms placement and concealment.

But as has been said previously there’s no mandate to require downward facing speakers and pretty much any ‘wireless’ vendor has the same challenge unless they go battery operated and provide a step ladder as part of the package.

PS: my comment was aimed at sonos, not you. So don’t be so tetchy!
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

PS: my comment was aimed at sonos, not you. So don’t be so tetchy!

Imo Your comments are fair, even if I like the product as is. You and other posters don't need to justify your POV re Atmos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hoping for a cheaper sub to be announced next as a companion.
Badge
I'm pretty new to Sonos, will the Beam connect to my Sonos One? Or is basically the same thing but for a TV
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This is so-not what i expected or wanted. Like getting the wrong kind of toy at xmas when i was a small kid.
The dimensions are listed as 25.625 x 3.94 x 2.70 in. Which of 3.94 and 2.7 in. is the height and depth? I have a small space between my mantel and TV, so I am hoping the height is the 2.7 in. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
So, I signed up to make a comment, because I'm annoyed as many of the other posters are. I love Sonos for streaming (it's all over my house), and would LIKE to utilize it in my home theater to replace an aging wired system. However, Sonos can't seem to figure this out?!!? It's 2018 Sonos, you are not a 'baby' cutting-edge company anymore; you have a ton of competitors now (with deeper pockets) and you have many consumers (like myself) that have bought into your eco-system, but now we WANT MORE! Its fine to release incremental products to your 'general' (and new) customers to try to gain market share, but wake up! You have customers with entire eco-systems that WANT to do MORE with their Sonos products, but can't. How long do you think that is going to last before they move on and buy other products instead? That's what's going to happen in this house.
Userlevel 2
I find it quite telling that there aren’t many “take my money now” or “pre-ordered” replies on the companies own Grand Release thread. I’m not sure the given reactions were expected by Sonos. They appear so far behind the current trend of what’s expected they’re just ploughing on ignorantly. As usual Sonos doesn’t and it seems never will actually listen to what their current customers actually want. Shame really but I’m sure they know best.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Here's a "take my money now" post - this is exactly what I want.
Something simple, to replace my TV speakers that SUCK, without huge hassle and can group/sync with my other rooms when I'm playing music, for a cheaper price than the playbar... This sounds great!
Hopefully the sound quality is on par for the price/size, anything better than a play:1 will convince me to buy two of these things as soon as I get a chance to hear it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a few questions:-
1. If I preorder today when is the money taken? Straight away or on dispatch?
2. I’ve got two play 1s on stands. I guess I can use these as rears in 5.1 now? Shame as others mentioned can’t just use beam as a centre in a 3.0 system!
3. I’ve read elsewhere that if you have one AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos product you can use AirPlay 2 to older Sonos 1s, amp and connect...is that correct?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Lots of people are not impressed. Look at all the reviewers that were at the event.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The dimensions are listed as 25.625 x 3.94 x 2.70 in. Which of 3.94 and 2.7 in. is the height and depth? I have a small space between my mantel and TV, so I am hoping the height is the 2.7 in. Thanks.
It's wider than it is high. The dimensions are L x W x H.

I'm pretty new to Sonos, will the Beam connect to my Sonos One? Or is basically the same thing but for a TV

You can pair two Sonos Ones as surround speakers with a Beam (though Alexa will be disabled on the surrounds), or you can group a Sonos One with a Beam, where they'll play the same things, but not as a surround sound setup. And of course, you can use them both in different rooms independently from each other, just like with every other Sonos device.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Busiest thread on here for ages and the tone for a ‘flagship’ release event (as in hype not status if product), is a letdown and falls flat. That’s got to send a message to management. I wonder if they are just severely lacking in vision or whether they’ve simply decided to invest as little as possible into R&D, sweat their current patents and try to spin a few more also ran speakers repackaging same old into different form factors? I bet the press who attended this event must have been giggling. I hope most walked there. Can you imagine the fury at having paid for a taxi to travel for such an uninnovative backwards looking product?

Hay folks, here’s a cheaper soundbar, does not sound as good as our flagship, does not give you modern audio options, but you can talk to it and it’ll tidy your remote table.

They might as well have saved on the R&D and just cut the old playbar by £200 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
2. I’ve got two play 1s on stands. I guess I can use these as rears in 5.1 now? Shame as others mentioned can’t just use beam as a centre in a 3.0 system!
3. I’ve read elsewhere that if you have one AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos product you can use AirPlay 2 to older Sonos 1s, amp and connect...is that correct?

1. On dispatch, though there is a pre-authorization made when the pre-order is put through.
2. Surround rears, for sure. Beam has side firing speakers which make a wide soundstage and cover the side front channels.
3. Absolutely. Beam will work like a receiver for the Airplay 2 signal, and you can group it with older Sonos players that don't have the hardware to handle that signal. They'll then be able to play the sound together.
Userlevel 1
Badge
One more question!
What is the width at the middle cut out of the speaker? I’ve got 90 mm to play with to my TV base. I know the overall width is 100 mm but figured the cut out part must be less and a circular base of my older Panasonic plasma Beam and cables will fit over the base as it’s not tall or wide at that point of the base.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Time to ditch all my Sonos gear. I invested heavily as a HT solution and not having antiquated, let alone modern, audio codecs is a slap in the face. Especially since the hardware can handle it. They market themselves as a premium product then cheaps out on licensing costs. I cannot think of a $300, let alone $1500+, system that cannot perform these simple tasks.

They effectively have 3 soundbar solutions that no one who knows anything about home theater wants or needs. If the plan is to stick-to-music then stick to music.
Userlevel 1
Badge

1. On dispatch, though there is a pre-authorization made when the pre-order is put through.
2. Surround rears, for sure. Beam has side firing speakers which make a wide soundstage and cover the side front channels.
3. Absolutely. Beam will work like a receiver for the Airplay 2 signal, and you can group it with older Sonos players that don't have the hardware to handle that signal. They'll then be able to play the sound together.

Brilliant. Thanks for answering.

Just to confirm it’s a pre authorisation (to check legit bank etc) and not a hold then (like some hotels do)? Got the cash but going away next week so want to pay for it on release next month. No more questions now I promise! I know it’s not the product everyone wants but for me it is a perfect fit to get rid of having both Sonsos and Onkyo 5.1 system and just have the one in a tight space on TV stand (play bar too big and Panasonic plasma might be too heavy for Playbase!) so thanks Sonos...at least 1 person is happy!
Badge +1
I'm actually excited for this.
Right now I have 12 speakers in 9 zones, a mix of Play 5's, Play 3's, and Play 1's. I haven't bought a Playbar or Playbase yet since a) I don't watch a lot of movies, I mostly watch the news and golf, b) They cost more than my TVs.

I'd buy these to imrpove the sound quality of the TVs. I'd would have prefered without Alexa since I have Echo dots.

I'm really curious how this will intergrate in a room with 2 X Play 5 or 2 X Play 1.
-Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just to confirm it’s a pre authorisation (to check legit bank etc) and not a hold then (like some hotels do)? Got the cash but going away next week so want to pay for it on release next month. No more questions now I promise! I know it’s not the product everyone wants but for me it is a perfect fit to get rid of having both Sonsos and Onkyo 5.1 system and just have the one in a tight space on TV stand (play bar too big and Panasonic plasma might be too heavy for Playbase!) so thanks Sonos...at least 1 person is happy!

Confirmed. I believe $1 is held at the pre-authorization.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
One more question!
What is the width at the middle cut out of the speaker? I’ve got 90 mm to play with to my TV base. I know the overall width is 100 mm but figured the cut out part must be less and a circular base of my older Panasonic plasma Beam and cables will fit over the base as it’s not tall or wide at that point of the base.

One more question!

That's a good question. I don't have the exact figure for you, but the cable cove is about 100mm x 26 mm x 12 mm (L x W x H) However, we recommend having 25.4 mm clearance on all sides for the best audio because we push air out through the back using one of the passive radiators. You can always try it out and use our money back guaranty if it doesn't fit right or the sound is off. Trueplay will probably help with that too.
Userlevel 2
Hay folks, here’s a cheaper soundbar, does not sound as good as our flagship, does not give you modern audio options, but you can talk to it and it’ll tidy your remote table.
:D
Badge +2
Ryan, I tried to pre-order the Beam however PayPal does not appear to be an option and checkout for this product. I bought 2x play ones just last week and checked out using PayPal no problem, what gives?

Removing the Beam from the basket and adding any other product lets me check out using PayPal...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm actually excited for this.
Right now I have 12 speakers in 9 zones, a mix of Play 5's, Play 3's, and Play 1's. I haven't bought a Playbar or Playbase yet since a) I don't watch a lot of movies, I mostly watch the news and golf, b) They cost more than my TVs.

I'd buy these to imrpove the sound quality of the TVs. I'd would have prefered without Alexa since I have Echo dots.

I'm really curious how this will intergrate in a room with 2 X Play 5 or 2 X Play 1.
-Dan

One big advantage to having it built in and paired with the 1s or 3 for me is not having to say Alexa play Spotify (we use amazon as default on echos as only 1 Spotify account) playlist x on living room and just saying play this playlist on Spotify. Also I’m one of the rare ones who has a HomePod and was thinking about Apple TV. Having Alexa for smart home (all my IKEA stuff) Spotify connect and AirPlay 2 on all my Sonos makes this a no brainer for me (was looking at buying a Sonos One just for the AirPlay 2!)
This could actually take away some HomePod sales, actually. It’s FAR more flexible, and combines music and TV sound into a single unit, at very reasonable cost. Plus the ability to add surrounds and the excellent Sub later on. Makes the HomePod sound like a bit of a joke in comparison, really...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, I tried to pre-order the Beam however PayPal does not appear to be an option and checkout for this product. I bought 2x play ones just last week and checked out using PayPal no problem, what gives?

Removing the Beam from the basket and adding any other product lets me check out using PayPal...

Hi Mark, unfortunately, Paypal isn't an option for pre-orders. I'll let the sales team know you're missing the option so they get the feedback, but you'll have to place a pre-order using a different payment method. Sorry for the trouble!