Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

I have two Play: One’s at home and am thinking about getting a beam but my TV has no HDMI in port so won’t support Alexa/voice control. Is there any way around this?
To voice control your TV, via the Sonos Beams' built-in Alexa, you could add a Logitech Harmony Hub, providing your TV model is supported. You can connect the TV to the Beam using the usual optical connection.

See link below to check compatibility with your TV:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
I have two Play: One’s at home and am thinking about getting a beam but my TV has no HDMI in port so won’t support Alexa/voice control. Is there any way around this?
Almost perfect! Now you can have a Sonos speaker, smart speaker, and a TV speaker in one. No need for multiple speakers in rooms with a TV. They will sell many more of these than the big ones. I will buy at least one the second they add Google Assistant.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

What I'm looking for in a sound system (and what not)
* I listen way more music than I watch TV. I also care more about music than movies and home cinema.
* I want outstanding sound quality. It doesn't need to be the best one can buy, but it needs to be high-end.
* I want a system that "just works". I happily give up some audio quality or €'s in favour of WiFi connected speakers, AirPlay 2, Alexa, etc.
* The system needs to look good and not draw too much visual attention. For me that means no tower speakers and simple designs (like the Play 5 or Beam, and unlike the Playbar).
* I'm not necessarily looking for "best value for money".

Why the Sonos Beam is a perfect offering for me:
* It's small in size. I don't want a huge TV screen and massive sound bar on my wall.
* It uses HDMI ARC: This checks the "it just works" checkbox. I also value Alexa. To me it's more than a gimmick.
* I don't care about Dolby Atmos, DTS, or 5.1 surround. I don't care enough about home cinema to litter my room with additional One's that need to be mounted on a certain hight. I also won't place my Play 5's in a surround setup, because that will take away the stereo effect for the rest of the room if I'm just listening to music.

Conclusion
I would've never bought the Playbar, Playbase, or Sub. They're too large, and I'm just less willing to spend money on home cinema than on music listening.

I realise a big group of home cinema fanatics is disappointed by the Beam. However, for people like me, the Beam's offering is near perfect.

Do you have the play 5 on either side of the TV/beam or in another room?
Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

What I'm looking for in a sound system (and what not)
* I listen way more music than I watch TV. I also care more about music than movies and home cinema.
* I want outstanding sound quality. It doesn't need to be the best one can buy, but it needs to be high-end.
* I want a system that "just works". I happily give up some audio quality or €'s in favour of WiFi connected speakers, AirPlay 2, Alexa, etc.
* The system needs to look good and not draw too much visual attention. For me that means no tower speakers and simple designs (like the Play 5 or Beam, and unlike the Playbar).
* I'm not necessarily looking for "best value for money".

Why the Sonos Beam is a perfect offering for me:
* It's small in size. I don't want a huge TV screen and massive sound bar on my wall.
* It uses HDMI ARC: This checks the "it just works" checkbox. I also value Alexa. To me it's more than a gimmick.
* I don't care about Dolby Atmos, DTS, or 5.1 surround. I don't care enough about home cinema to litter my room with additional One's that need to be mounted on a certain hight. I also won't place my Play 5's in a surround setup, because that will take away the stereo effect for the rest of the room if I'm just listening to music.

Conclusion
I would've never bought the Playbar, Playbase, or Sub. They're too large, and I'm just less willing to spend money on home cinema than on music listening.

I realise a big group of home cinema fanatics is disappointed by the Beam. However, for people like me, the Beam's offering is near perfect.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

I see Bose has Dolby and DTS on their soundbar.

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.
Can you guys please stop with this rubbish? Sonos make fantastic products, but just admit the truth, You have left DTS out due to it being a cost issue. No-one would cripple a great product and cop so much backlash from people on this forum, not to mention it being mentioned in almost every review, if there wasn't a cost issue in doing it. There are workarounds sure, but they nearly all fly in the face of the simplicity buying sonos is meant to achieve. Ditto to the massive oversight on having no HDMI in on the Beam, meaning you lose a valuable HDMI Port on the TV to only audio.

It's not rubbish. If certain people are not the target audience for Beam then how is that the fault of Sonos? You can't make a product that's perfect for everyone. At the end of the day you're paying £400 for a TV soundbar, smart speaker and music streamer for almost every service imaginable.

It's not intended for people who want an absolute cutting edge home cinema experience. It's intended for people on a limited budget who want one great speaker that has them covered for all needs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
can anyone comment on how a Beam would compare by swapping out a playbar in a Playbar + Play 1 + Sub setup ? I assume the differences would not be so great as the sub as taking up some of the slack but would be interested to know if it would be noticeably worse in a 4 x 4 m room.

I would then move the Playbar to a bigger room currently Sonos-less !
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Oh man... so I was semi-excited about listen to the new Sonos Beam today. I've been longing for a Playbar 2.0 in white for several years and thought to myself, maybe, just maybe that the Beam would blow me away and that I could feel satisfied with the additional and updated tech, support for AirPlay 2, white (it's a big deal) and so on... but what a downer... utterly unimpressed. We compared it with the old Playbar (soundwise) and even other soundbars from other vendors. Spent an hour and a half back and forth to get a feel of it but the verdict is NO - thumbs down. Leaving the HIFI store I realized that it's not worth waiting for Sonos to get a 2.0 Playbar out there when they showed us other and much better sounding and "techier" soundbars such as the one we listened on from BlueSound, wireless, AirPlay 2 coming and it's available in white etc. Maybe it's time for me to say goodbye to Sonos and the everlasting dream of a white 2.0 version of the Playbar.

The Beam was never aimed at replacing the Playbar - the price-point made that clear.

No it is probably not going to be sufficient if you want the true, big daddy home theatre experience. However if you want one single speaker for your living room that essentially does it all (TV soundbar / Music streamer / Smart assistant), I'd say the Beam absolutely nails the brief in all but the largest of living-rooms.

Sonos is onto a winner here in my view. Their most versatile speaker ever.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Got my Beam 2 days ago and absolutely delighted with it. Setup was an absolute breeze, especially as I already own 3 Sonos Ones so Alexa is already configured.

Within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, everything was set up! The TV's sound was automatically coming through the Beam in perfect sync, I could control the volume with the TV remote, and turn the TV on and off with Alexa. I didn't have to change a single setting on the TV to get it working perfectly and sounding spot-on.

Using my Beam with a 49 inch 2017 LG Smart UHD TV (not an OLED one, just one of the lower-end models). In a fairly small living room and it sounds great. Can't imagine ever needing to use it at more than about 50%-60% volume, even for movies.

Bought my first Sonos One in December last year. Now have 3 Ones and the Beam in a 4-room multiroom system. The addiction is in full swing!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello! I received my Beam yesterday and it’s amazing!
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.

I received mine on the same day it was launched. It is now paired with 2x Play 1 as LS and RS speakers. When i watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, in the Sonos app it is showing the output audio is Dolby Digital 5.1. I am not an expert, but i am very happy with this set up without SUB, sounds clear, balanced and actually dynamic and it gives you real surround sound feeling. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh man... so I was semi-excited about listen to the new Sonos Beam today. I've been longing for a Playbar 2.0 in white for several years and thought to myself, maybe, just maybe that the Beam would blow me away and that I could feel satisfied with the additional and updated tech, support for AirPlay 2, white (it's a big deal) and so on... but what a downer... utterly unimpressed. We compared it with the old Playbar (soundwise) and even other soundbars from other vendors. Spent an hour and a half back and forth to get a feel of it but the verdict is NO - thumbs down. Leaving the HIFI store I realized that it's not worth waiting for Sonos to get a 2.0 Playbar out there when they showed us other and much better sounding and "techier" soundbars such as the one we listened on from BlueSound, wireless, AirPlay 2 coming and it's available in white etc. Maybe it's time for me to say goodbye to Sonos and the everlasting dream of a white 2.0 version of the Playbar.

If you though the Beam was going to be a better option than the Playbar... That right there was your first mistake. Did you look at the specs?

I guess I went into this thinking/knowing it wouldn't be on the same level as the playbar. The beam is great for a bedroom. No I would not put it in my home theater or living room.

I like this much better than the playbase crap they rolled out last.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Felt it necessary to come back and talk about the BEAM!!!!

I am not ok with being told all along airplay2 will work across all speakers and was really hoping for a playbar upgrade.

Hell even a discount for those of us who have been with Sonos for the long haul.

Sooooo........

Just picked up my Sonos beam. Played with it at Best Buy this morning and got to say. I am Impressed.

If you don’t have an open room and it’s enclosed. This is perfect. Playbar adds depth and helps with open rooms because of having more amplifiers....

Overall I like this product much more than the playbase.. Stick to the bars/beam.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Shame. But at almost half the price Beam was never going to match the playbar. Seems to be a more of an everyman product.
Badge
Disappointed my preorder still hasn't been despatched. Won't be getting it until about Wednesday or Thursday then.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.

I have this configuration, 2 Play:1 as surrounds and I’m really impressed with the good sound!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
At the moment I press my sky button on my sky Q remote and the sky and tv come on together. Does this mean the sky will no longer turn on with the tv as the beam will be taking up the Arc.
Badge
from SonosSupport about Airplay 2:
We are still working together on that feature in order to bring uninterrupted experience. It will come a little bit later than expected.
😞
Apologies if I've missed this but does the Beam have any IR repeater functionality?

I am certain that it will block the receiver on my Sony TV. I currently have a cheaper Sony sound bar (which I'd like to replace with a Beam) and this has IR repeater functionality which is needed or else the TV cannot be controlled and I know the Beam is a few mm taller than my Sony sound bar.
Sure, as long as the Sonos One isn't bonded as a surround speaker (which would require a pair).
Badge
Can I play The Beam and Sonos One at the same time in the same room if they are on the same WiFi but the ONE playing my music and the Beam playing my TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What's the pro about pre-ordering the new Sonos Beam?
Isn't it the same to wait for it and then buy it?
Is there a bonus on being an early adopter?

The only thing I'm aware of it is that you can have it delivered release day without having to go to a store to purchase it.

Speaking of going to the store, I just got back from running some errands and took a peek in my local Best Buy. The Beam was out on display. You could do some sound comparison between Beam/Playbar/Playbase. I was impressed personally. It looks very nice and sound rather close to the playbar, particularly on the low end. In the middle of the store isn't the best location for a sound test, but I'd image most customers are going for the beam, due to price and additional features.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
What's the pro about pre-ordering the new Sonos Beam?
Isn't it the same to wait for it and then buy it?
Is there a bonus on being an early adopter?