Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

311 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Does it support full channel stereo with HDMI-ARC input?
The Beam will play stereo PCM, multiple channels beyond that won't be played. With HDMI-ARC, a handshake with your TV will assure that Dolby Digital 5.1 is sent for the best sound when your source is in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos.

With a stereo PCM HDMI source
and
1 beam + 2 play1 back

Will I be able to send same stereo at the same time to back speakers without delay?
Userlevel 2
What an absolute waste of time. I was convinced sonos had finally resolved the headache of the playbar dts compatibility issues by adding HDMI but no; voice control and the ability to switch off your tv from the sound bar! Such a missed opportunity. For me I might sell up my equipment and move onto better things. I’ve had my ‘5.1’ home theatre setup for 5 years now and it’s behind the times. I want to experience Dolby Atmos with my 4k gear. For such an innovative company they sure are pig headed about the future.
Userlevel 1
Ryan_29 - I couldn’t agree more. I’ve invested a good few thousand on Sonos products which whilst fit for purpose a few years ago are now showing their age.

Sonos have definitely missed an opportunity, and whilst from the other comments I understand some of the technical limitations; I can’t help but be frustrated by the “leading” company not meeting the requirements of a modern theatre setup. I had a 5.1 setup 20 years ago...
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Will I be able to send same stereo at the same time to back speakers without delay?
Surrounds will be playing off of the 5GHz, so they're in sync and without delay. The stereo signal will get upmixed like it is on other Sonos home theater players already, so you won't get an echo of the stereo, but you will hear audio out of the back.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
If you don’t want to use voice control, can Alexa be turned off and also can this be controlled fully from the app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
If you don’t want to use voice control, can Alexa be turned off and also can this be controlled fully from the app?
Beam works exactly the same as the Sonos One in how we're handling the security with Alexa. There's a microphone touch point and LED on Beam that you can press to turn off the microphones. The LED is hardware linked to the microphones so you'll know at any time if they're on. If you don't want to use Alexa, you can turn off the microphones.
So I guess my question is which is going to sound better... the beam playing a 5.1 with a sub and 2 surround speakers or a playbase/playbar playing 5.1 with a sub and 2 surrounds?
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Huge dissapointment. Obviously most of the expectations were built upon rumour, specultion and hopes that obvious gaps in the ecosystem where Sonos is lagging behind would be addressed, but a disappointment nontheless.

Not that this is not an useful product in its own right, but for those of us hoping that Sonos would release something higher end, a ‘noddy’ soundbar with little new innovation (Voice control is already there with the Ones so having it build into a bar for existing 5.1 owners) adds little value, then there’s little choice now but to look elsewhere for options.

The more worrying thing from my personal perspective is that yet another ‘movie’ product entrenching ties to legacy standards further and not delivering a product that provides some of they key features that have been seemingly called for on this forum for years, demonstrates that the wished for soltuion will likely never come and that Sonos are not capable of addressing that challenge.

Time to move on i think (for HT needs anyway).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Surrounds will be playing off of the 5GHz, so they're in sync and without delay. The stereo signal will get upmixed like it is on other Sonos home theater players already, so you won't get an echo of the stereo, but you will hear audio out of the back.

Whatever sonos use for ‘upmixing’ PCM does next to nothing in my setup. 5.1 works fine from the rears but decent pro logic style upmixing of stereo it definitely isn’t.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So I guess my question is which is going to sound better... the beam playing a 5.1 with a sub and 2 surround speakers or a playbase/playbar playing 5.1 with a sub and 2 surrounds?

People at the event stated playbar and base.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Whatever sonos use for ‘upmixing’ PCM does next to nothing in my setup. 5.1 works fine from the rears but decent pro logic style upmixing of stereo it definitely isn’t.

Sorry nicka99 and Ryan, can you help me understand better?
Before I knew it was not possible with tv signal but only streaming music.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

A big part of that depends on what's playing. The upmix should be pretty comparable, but if you're mostly watching sportscasting, news, or content with lots of "talking heads" and dialogue, that audio is supposed to come out of the front, center channel. Surrounds should be playing music and some other reverberating sounds.

Sorry nicka99 and Ryan, can you explain better?
Before I knew it was not possible with tv signal but only streaming music.
Thanks

If you're talking about the synced audio, TV audio played via the surround sound setups on Sonos are 100% in sync by design. If you're trying to send TV audio to other rooms that are grouped (not bonded), they could be slightly off. This is because the audio has to be sent over 2.4GHz for grouped players, and not the 5GHz for bonded stereo speakers.
For an entry level sound bar I could see it being a decent performer, but Sonos really needs to talk about supporting new codecs and improvements to their home theater systems.

I got into the Sonos ecosystem pretty hard this year and it sounds great while deliver fantastic smart features, but it’s a little disappointing that it doesn’t support a whole lot of codecs as is and what the roadmap is going forward for those kind of things.
Thought you’d be annoucing Dolby Atmos to go along with Apple’s annoucement yesterday. Guess I wont be buying anything new.
Userlevel 2
Huge dissapointment. Obviously most of the expectations were built upon rumour, specultion and hopes that obvious gaps in the ecosystem where Sonos is lagging behind would be addressed, but a disappointment nontheless.

Not that this is not an useful product in its own right, but for those of us hoping that Sonos would release something higher end, a ‘noddy’ soundbar with little new innovation (Voice control is already there with the Ones so having it build into a bar for existing 5.1 owners) adds little value, then there’s little choice now but to look elsewhere for options.

The more worrying thing from my personal perspective is that yet another ‘movie’ product entrenching ties to legacy standards further and not delivering a product that provides some of they key features that have been seemingly called for on this forum for years, demonstrates that the wished for soltuion will likely never come and that Sonos are not capable of addressing that challenge.

Time to move on i think (for HT needs anyway).

This is absolutely on point. This new noddy sound bar as you quite rightly put it does have a place for (some) consumers but it most certainly cannot be accurately described as a Home Theatre solution. It still lacks the basic ability to decode a dts signal found on almost every blu ray. I guess Sonos will continue to rely on gaps in consumer knowledge about what a sound bar should be able to do?
I was really hoping for a higher end product to replace my aging playbar. Not this....
It’s times like this I miss my 20 year old THX certified amp which would play anything I threw at it....
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Why am I first hearing about this from Apple news?
Just out of curiosity, since Dolby Atmos requires ceiling speakers, how does one expect to mount Sonos speakers, with their power requirements, in the ceiling? One, I would find it an eyesore to have power cables and outlets in my ceiling. Two, just the need for power cables has me not using my Playbar for 5.1 in my bedroom, and never having a Playbar in my main theater. I'm currently purchasing a condo in new construction, and I am going to have Atmos and surround speakers pre-wired. Even with bare studs, I would never resort to outlets in the ceiling, because walls or not, if I'm wiring the ceiling, I'm wiring for speakers, not power, and will get a full home theater experience in the process.

Of course, YMMV (which is why I ask).
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Just out of curiosity, since Dolby Atmos requires ceiling speakers, how does one expect to mount Sonos speakers, with their power requirements, in the ceiling? One, I would find it an eyesore to have power cables and outlets in my ceiling. Two, just the need for power cables has me not using my Playbar for 5.1 in my bedroom, and never having a Playbar in my main theater. I'm currently purchasing a condo in new construction, and I am going to have Atmos and surround speakers pre-wired. Even with bare studs, I would never resort to outlets in the ceiling, because walls or not, if I'm wiring the ceiling, I'm wiring for speakers, not power, and will get a full home theater experience in the process.

Of course, YMMV (which is why I ask).

Not something Sonos users will likely need to worry about, at least this decade 😠

Not something Sonos users will likely need to worry about, at least this decade :@

So that would be a "I have no idea how I was going to mount Sonos speakers on the ceiling, so I'll just post snark instead" answer?

Thanks for the clarification.

Can anyone else state how they plan to mount Sonos speakers on the ceiling? It's a serious question, for I may have misinterpreted the request, and would welcome being corrected.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Why am I first hearing about this from Apple news? 9to5mac reported on this a little over 2 weeks ago about the Airplay2.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Beam works exactly the same as the Sonos One in how we're handling the security with Alexa. There's a microphone touch point and LED on Beam that you can press to turn off the microphones. The LED is hardware linked to the microphones so you'll know at any time if they're on. If you don't want to use Alexa, you can turn off the microphones.

Excellent. thank for the reply
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can anyone else state how they plan to mount Sonos speakers on the ceiling? It's a serious question, for I may have misinterpreted the request, and would welcome being corrected.

Nothing says speakers need to be mounted in/on the ceiling... while that would certainly provide the BEST Atmos/DTS-X experience, many audio systems are relying on reflected audio... directing audio toward the ceiling at an angle, to reflect it back down to you the viewer. This is definitely math and science though, so the angle needed has a lot to do with speaker height, ceiling height and how far away you're sitting... but it's an alternative that many see as acceptable to keep the setup simple.

Nothing says speakers need to be mounted in/on the ceiling... while that would certainly provide the BEST Atmos/DTS-X experience, many audio systems are relying on reflected audio... directing audio toward the ceiling at an angle, to reflect it back down to you the viewer. This is definitely math and science though, so the angle needed has a lot to do with ceiling height and how far away you're sitting... but it's an alternative that many see as acceptable to keep the setup simple.

Thanks for an actual answer, Mike. You are correct, I was only thinking of the optimal.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Not something Sonos users will likely need to worry about, at least this decade :@

So that would be a "I have no idea how I was going to mount Sonos speakers on the ceiling, so I'll just post snark instead" answer?

Thanks for the clarification.

You missed out the context. Ceiling mounting for atmos. So the statement was correct.

As for the practicalities of mounting on the ceiling then it depends which sonos speaker you wish to mount. Flexson make a dedicated ceiling mount - in fact more than one.

https://www.flexson.com/flexson-ceiling-mount-for-sonos-play1-white-single-flxp1cm1011

Beyond that the manner in which prople mount a speaker on the ceiling will vary markedly depending upon their requirements, and the construction of their home. So there is no simple answer. Genrally though I would expect the simplest solution for sonos usage would he to install some recessed ceiling speakers (genelec, Speakercraft, kef and many other brands make such speakers), and hook them up to a connect with speaker wire. This negates the need for running power and means you can acheive a more aesthetically pleasing result.

Happy now? ;)

Appologies if I missed the point if the question? Maybe it was instruction on how to use a tape measure, drill and screw driver that were required?

You missed out the context. Ceiling mounting for atmos. So the statement was correct.

No, you missed out on the context, that being I was wondering why one would want Atmos in a speaker system that requires power in the vicinity of ceiling speakers. It had to do with the requested functionality, not the current functionality offered.

As for the practicalities of mounting on the ceiling then it depends which sonos speaker you wish to mount. Flexson make a dedicated ceiling mount - in fact more than one.

Beyond that the manner in which prople mount a speaker on the ceiling will vary markedly depending upon their requirements, and the construction of their home. So there is no simple answer. Genrally though I would expect the simplest solution for sonos usage would he to install some recessed ceiling speakers (genelac, Speakercraft, kef and many other auch brands make such soeakers, and hook them up to a connect with speaker wire. This negates the need for running power and means you can acheive a more aesthetically pleasing result.

Happy now? ;)

But that would assume another Ethernet wired Connect:Amp that can be used for Atmos, in addition to surrounds, plus wired speakers in the ceiling and surround areas, would it not? If so, we are certainly getting into a outlier case, and what with all the wiring, you may as well have an traditional HT.