Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

307 replies

Dave,

I would be really interested to see what you think of adding the SUB to your surround setup and if it's worth considering.

I added a sub to a similar setup about a month ago. The Beam and Play:1s already make a capable 5.0 setup, and for the likes of basic cable TV I’d probably advise against adding a sub period. However, music and 5.1 sources do sound really well when the sub is added to the mix, especially when tuned wth Trueplay or manuall controls.
The base sounds great, obviously, but it also changes the characteristics of the Beam and Play:1 surrounds. They sound cleaner and more open, and the four units work well together to elevate fidelity to a higher level. Sonos deserve credit for this – every component you add genuinely lifts the whole setup. It’s quite subtle, but if you switch the sub on and off while playing audio, it’s there to hear.

I had been concerned that it might be a bit much for the neighbours, but the sub can be easily tamed with night mode or a bit of tuning. I’ve left mine at Trueplay settings.

The Sonos sub is an outrageously expensive component. A big part of recommendation comes down to how you can swallow the cost, how enthusiastic you are about your music or home cinema, and how many Sonos components you already have. To anyone considering owning a 5.1 Sonos setup, I’d say if you have good WiFi and deep pockets, if you need a tidy wireless solution for TV and music with access to all the streaming features, and your other TV equipment plays nice with Dolby signalling and DTS transcoding, than Sonos is a very good shout. Otherwise you might be better advised putting your money into traditional separates or a good wired package.
McMurdeR,

Thanks for taking the time to write that interesting and helpful review about the sub.

I do already have a DTS/Dolby 5.1 Sony HT system in the main living room area, but tend to set it to 'night mode' mostly, particularly after 7pm in the evening, as mentioned earlier.

Adjusting the Sony sound mode is a manual operation (side menu on TV or via Receiver/TV/Harmony remote) and more often than not, I find that I end up forgetting and leaving it in night mode, with little, or virtually no significant bass, but in fairness I play far less music through the Sony setup, than I do via the 4 Sonos Speakers that we presently have in that same room.

Most TV (cable/freeview) channels that we watch, obviously use PCM stereo audio and so I don’t miss the HT bass in most cases when simply watching general TV... it’s only when watching Netflix/Prime Movies, or playing music via Apple TV, that I immediately notice the difference and realise the setup has been left in 'night mode'.

I’m still in two minds to add the Sonos sub however to our Beam 5.0 setup, which is located on the same floor in the main dining room. It’s not our main 'listening' area, although from time to time, my wife and I may go in there to watch a good film, whilst having dinner, or I may listen to some music by myself, or use when we have family, or friends, around for a meal.

Even when family/friends come round for dinner, we tend to keep the volume down low, so that we can chat etc. So I’m not so sure my purchase of a sub would be entirely justified for those occasions. It would mostly be used for playing music whenever I go into that room to listen on my own, about once or twice a week for a few hours. Hence I have hesitated over this decision for a while.

I’m looking forward next to see what DavePM has to say about the sub, just to see how that compares to your review.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I’m still sat on the fence about the sub at the moment, but every opinion really does help.?
Badge
OMG as the kids say, YES, YES and more YES!!! - So far just tested it with the techno with a pair of play1's in the conservatory and with the Beam/Play1's 5.0 in the lounge :D:D:D: - Surgeon / Luminosity Device / all of it / but track 2 onwards if you want to hear how techno bass should be..... Now to test with a bit of DD 5.1 ..... BRB - waiting for the 40th anniversary of the Nostromo passing by later ??
This is a great center speaker... Nothing more. Really was hoping for a PlayBar upgrade.... Guess Ill blow my money elsewhere.

I am happy to see the Beam has a HDMI-ARC input, but the Playbar is the product that really needs a HDMI-ARC input. The Playbar is falling behind technology wise, and can't compete with newer sound bars on the Market. The Beam is to small for my room, and without a HDMI-ARC input I will have to look for a sound bar from another company
I love my Beam. Now if only you made a more affordable Sonos Sub! $700 is a bit too much for my budget. Something in the $300 to $350 price range would be ideal. Thanks!
I love my Beam. Now if only you made a more affordable Sonos Sub! $700 is a bit too much for my budget. Something in the $300 to $350 price range would be ideal. Thanks! I agree! Previously owned a fairly cheap Samsung Soundbar and Sub, and do miss the sub a little. Live in an average semi-detached house with 3 young children, so can't have something that shakes the whole house, and can't justify paying for a Sonos Sub if I'm gonna have it turned right down.
Badge
Just picked up the sonos Beam and thus far it is blowing me way. shame on a base levels (guessing the sub would be needed).
would be nice and it may already be there and i have not found it yet different EQ setting
Just picked up the sonos Beam and thus far it is blowing me way. shame on a base levels (guessing the sub would be needed).
would be nice and it may already be there and i have not found it yet different EQ setting
Yes it’s there in the “room settings” and it sounds even more incredible with added surrounds too.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings