Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

291 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
billiejoe87 wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

SavellM wrote:

@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

I see Bose has Dolby and DTS on their soundbar.

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.

Can you guys please stop with this rubbish? Sonos make fantastic products, but just admit the truth, You have left DTS out due to it being a cost issue. No-one would cripple a great product and cop so much backlash from people on this forum, not to mention it being mentioned in almost every review, if there wasn't a cost issue in doing it. There are workarounds sure, but they nearly all fly in the face of the simplicity buying sonos is meant to achieve. Ditto to the massive oversight on having no HDMI in on the Beam, meaning you lose a valuable HDMI Port on the TV to only audio.

It's not rubbish. If certain people are not the target audience for Beam then how is that the fault of Sonos? You can't make a product that's perfect for everyone. At the end of the day you're paying £400 for a TV soundbar, smart speaker and music streamer for almost every service imaginable.

It's not intended for people who want an absolute cutting edge home cinema experience. It's intended for people on a limited budget who want one great speaker that has them covered for all needs.
Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

What I'm looking for in a sound system (and what not)
* I listen way more music than I watch TV. I also care more about music than movies and home cinema.
* I want outstanding sound quality. It doesn't need to be the best one can buy, but it needs to be high-end.
* I want a system that "just works". I happily give up some audio quality or €'s in favour of WiFi connected speakers, AirPlay 2, Alexa, etc.
* The system needs to look good and not draw too much visual attention. For me that means no tower speakers and simple designs (like the Play 5 or Beam, and unlike the Playbar).
* I'm not necessarily looking for "best value for money".

Why the Sonos Beam is a perfect offering for me:
* It's small in size. I don't want a huge TV screen and massive sound bar on my wall.
* It uses HDMI ARC: This checks the "it just works" checkbox. I also value Alexa. To me it's more than a gimmick.
* I don't care about Dolby Atmos, DTS, or 5.1 surround. I don't care enough about home cinema to litter my room with additional One's that need to be mounted on a certain hight. I also won't place my Play 5's in a surround setup, because that will take away the stereo effect for the rest of the room if I'm just listening to music.

Conclusion
I would've never bought the Playbar, Playbase, or Sub. They're too large, and I'm just less willing to spend money on home cinema than on music listening.

I realise a big group of home cinema fanatics is disappointed by the Beam. However, for people like me, the Beam's offering is near perfect.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11
jacobj wrote:

Hi all,

I feel the launch of the new Beam sparked quite some criticism with a certain group of people. I'm definitely one of the Sonos user's for which the Beam offering is perfect, and I'd like to share why. Hopefully this provides another angle to this thread.

My current setup
2x Play:5 for stereo music listening and a Beam to replace the poor excuse for speakers that they've put in my TV.

What I'm looking for in a sound system (and what not)
* I listen way more music than I watch TV. I also care more about music than movies and home cinema.
* I want outstanding sound quality. It doesn't need to be the best one can buy, but it needs to be high-end.
* I want a system that "just works". I happily give up some audio quality or €'s in favour of WiFi connected speakers, AirPlay 2, Alexa, etc.
* The system needs to look good and not draw too much visual attention. For me that means no tower speakers and simple designs (like the Play 5 or Beam, and unlike the Playbar).
* I'm not necessarily looking for "best value for money".

Why the Sonos Beam is a perfect offering for me:
* It's small in size. I don't want a huge TV screen and massive sound bar on my wall.
* It uses HDMI ARC: This checks the "it just works" checkbox. I also value Alexa. To me it's more than a gimmick.
* I don't care about Dolby Atmos, DTS, or 5.1 surround. I don't care enough about home cinema to litter my room with additional One's that need to be mounted on a certain hight. I also won't place my Play 5's in a surround setup, because that will take away the stereo effect for the rest of the room if I'm just listening to music.

Conclusion
I would've never bought the Playbar, Playbase, or Sub. They're too large, and I'm just less willing to spend money on home cinema than on music listening.

I realise a big group of home cinema fanatics is disappointed by the Beam. However, for people like me, the Beam's offering is near perfect.

Do you have the play 5 on either side of the TV/beam or in another room?
Almost perfect! Now you can have a Sonos speaker, smart speaker, and a TV speaker in one. No need for multiple speakers in rooms with a TV. They will sell many more of these than the big ones. I will buy at least one the second they add Google Assistant.
I have two Play: One’s at home and am thinking about getting a beam but my TV has no HDMI in port so won’t support Alexa/voice control. Is there any way around this?
molloyconor511 wrote:

I have two Play: One’s at home and am thinking about getting a beam but my TV has no HDMI in port so won’t support Alexa/voice control. Is there any way around this?

To voice control your TV, via the Sonos Beams' built-in Alexa, you could add a Logitech Harmony Hub, providing your TV model is supported. You can connect the TV to the Beam using the usual optical connection.

See link below to check compatibility with your TV:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
camillo777 wrote:

jacobj wrote:

Hi all,

My current setup

Do you have the play 5 on either side of the TV/beam or in another room?

No, I have the two Play:5's both at the right end of my seating area. So if I'm sitting in front of my TV, there's one on the right of the TV, and one on the right behind me. That's not ideal for the seating area, but for the rest of my open living room (dining area, kitchen) it's much better.
Was at the local Best Buy on Sunday. They had the Beam on display, but there was no way to listen to it, lol. I don’t know if B.B. or Sonos is responsible for the in store display, but someone needs to get their act together.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hey chicks, those displays are usually up to the store, but we have a team that helps out too. Mind sending me a PM with the store location and I'll pass it along to the team here so they can reach out?
Does it mention separate front speaker channels?:?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
nikitayt wrote:

Does it mention separate front speaker channels?:?

Not sure what 'it' is, but Sonos in a HT setup, the front channel speakers are all contained in the Beam (or playbar/playbase). Sonos doesn't have a way to have to have separate speaker devices for the front channels.
Hi Sonos,

Im from Singapore. am i abe to use alexa here for my sonos beam i just bought?

Im not sure how to do it. Do let me know!
Mine connects fine and sets up fine, just NO sound bloody comes out of the two LS + RS Sonos Play 1 Speakers. What the hell? Why won't my Sonos surround sound work?
They connect through a Sonos Boost and were originally on their own as speakers. I don't get it???
Captainorganik wrote:

Mine connects fine and sets up fine, just NO sound bloody comes out of the two LS + RS Sonos Play 1 Speakers. What the hell? Why won't my Sonos surround sound work?
They connect through a Sonos Boost and were originally on their own as speakers. I don't get it???

You need a DD 5.1 signal or the surrounds won't be noticeable. To check your signal, got to Settings > About My Sonos System and look under the Beam entry. If you are not getting 5.1, you may need to set your TV/cable box to output "Bitstream" or "Dolby Digital".
Userlevel 3
Badge +11
Captainorganik wrote:

Some people (like me) are asking an option for a "full channel stereo" option (like Denon and other HT equipment do and like Sonos do with music sources).
This will allow to use surround speakers also with a 2.0 stereo TV signal.
Hey thanks for the reply. It only works for music. Its really strange. Im watching breaking bad. All voice and normal sounds are the beam, the two play 1s only come on when loud music is playing. Whats the deal?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings