Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The sky soundbox does seem exceptional value at £250.
But it does not support voice control or add surrounds or a sub. Can you airplay to it without the sky mini box being on as well?

You could have considered an HDMI auto-switch box to effectively get more inputs into your tv.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The sky soundbox does seem exceptional value at £250.
But it does not support voice control or add surrounds or a sub. Can you airplay to it without the sky mini box being on as well?

You could have considered an HDMI auto-switch box to effectively get more inputs into your tv.

For context, I've got a pair of play 1s on stands and an echo spot in the same room. I've also got a HomePod in there now. Using a Logitech Harmony remote I have connected the Apple TV to sky soundbox via HDMI and optical to the TV. Can airplay to the Apple TV that way without TV or sky turned on. I've tried using HDMI auto switch boxes but they don't play well with always-on devices, 4K HDR or HDMI ARC from my experience. It isn't a big room so although I actually ended up spending more (already owned soundbox) on HomePod, Apple TV and Sonos One (for another room and enabling airplay 2 on all grouped devices) it gives me flexibility the beam alone can't (with its one input and also now access to Apple TV 4K content). To be honest I kind of feel that a pair of play 1s with echo (of any variety) or homepod is pretty decent in a smaller lounge, and that they wouldn't get much use in a 5.1 setup except for movies (same reason I didn't go for playbase). I think the Beam is a great all in one solution for a brand new Sonos owner (or single room user), but for many of us who have already setup houses around Sonos and own other products, the one port is a limitation. Final point is that if you're using whole house audio (I often do this) even with a pair of play 1s there is a noticeable increase in volume vs single play 1, with the beam in a 5.1 (or base or bar) setup I think it would be harder to control a standardised music volume all around the house. Rant over! Despite all this, I look forward to demoing it and might look to get one for the bedroom in the future.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

I see Bose has Dolby and DTS on their soundbar.

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.
Can you guys please stop with this rubbish? Sonos make fantastic products, but just admit the truth, You have left DTS out due to it being a cost issue. No-one would cripple a great product and cop so much backlash from people on this forum, not to mention it being mentioned in almost every review, if there wasn't a cost issue in doing it. There are workarounds sure, but they nearly all fly in the face of the simplicity buying sonos is meant to achieve. Ditto to the massive oversight on having no HDMI in on the Beam, meaning you lose a valuable HDMI Port on the TV to only audio.

Can you guys please stop with this rubbish? Sonos make fantastic products, but just admit the truth, You have left DTS out due to it being a cost issue. No-one would cripple a great product and cop so much backlash from people on this forum, not to mention it being mentioned in almost every review, if there wasn't a cost issue in doing it. There are workarounds sure, but they nearly all fly in the face of the simplicity buying sonos is meant to achieve. Ditto to the massive oversight on having no HDMI in on the Beam, meaning you lose a valuable HDMI Port on the TV to only audio.

Or maybe due to DTS having a competing product in DTS Play-Fi, they are not willing to license their proprietary codec to a direct competitor? Could that be a possible explanation?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Or maybe due to DTS having a competing product in DTS Play-Fi, they are not willing to license their proprietary codec to a direct competitor? Could that be a possible explanation?
No it's not. Otherwise the Bose, Yamaha and every other soundbar and home theatre system available wouldn't have DTS either, considering many companies now do multi-room audio.

The lack of DTS is not a deal-breaker for me, regardless of it being annoying. The Playbar is still overall a great product. It just gets annoying when some people try and spin Sonos not supporting a very common format that has been around for years and supported by virtually everyone else as being a positive.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm no expert - is there a possible bandwidth issue in relation to DTS and Sonos's wireless infrastructure?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
What's the pro about pre-ordering the new Sonos Beam?
Isn't it the same to wait for it and then buy it?
Is there a bonus on being an early adopter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What's the pro about pre-ordering the new Sonos Beam?
Isn't it the same to wait for it and then buy it?
Is there a bonus on being an early adopter?

The only thing I'm aware of it is that you can have it delivered release day without having to go to a store to purchase it.

Speaking of going to the store, I just got back from running some errands and took a peek in my local Best Buy. The Beam was out on display. You could do some sound comparison between Beam/Playbar/Playbase. I was impressed personally. It looks very nice and sound rather close to the playbar, particularly on the low end. In the middle of the store isn't the best location for a sound test, but I'd image most customers are going for the beam, due to price and additional features.
Badge
Can I play The Beam and Sonos One at the same time in the same room if they are on the same WiFi but the ONE playing my music and the Beam playing my TV?
Sure, as long as the Sonos One isn't bonded as a surround speaker (which would require a pair).
Apologies if I've missed this but does the Beam have any IR repeater functionality?

I am certain that it will block the receiver on my Sony TV. I currently have a cheaper Sony sound bar (which I'd like to replace with a Beam) and this has IR repeater functionality which is needed or else the TV cannot be controlled and I know the Beam is a few mm taller than my Sony sound bar.
Badge
from SonosSupport about Airplay 2:
We are still working together on that feature in order to bring uninterrupted experience. It will come a little bit later than expected.
😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
At the moment I press my sky button on my sky Q remote and the sky and tv come on together. Does this mean the sky will no longer turn on with the tv as the beam will be taking up the Arc.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hello! I received my Beam yesterday and it’s amazing!
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I’m getting one too this coming week. I am hearing lots of good things about it. I have two of the older Sonos Play-1's already and plan to bond those into 5.0 surround sound setup. Can’t wait to try it out.

I have this configuration, 2 Play:1 as surrounds and I’m really impressed with the good sound!
Badge
Disappointed my preorder still hasn't been despatched. Won't be getting it until about Wednesday or Thursday then.
Oh man... so I was semi-excited about listen to the new Sonos Beam today. I've been longing for a Playbar 2.0 in white for several years and thought to myself, maybe, just maybe that the Beam would blow me away and that I could feel satisfied with the additional and updated tech, support for AirPlay 2, white (it's a big deal) and so on... but what a downer... utterly unimpressed. We compared it with the old Playbar (soundwise) and even other soundbars from other vendors. Spent an hour and a half back and forth to get a feel of it but the verdict is NO - thumbs down. Leaving the HIFI store I realized that it's not worth waiting for Sonos to get a 2.0 Playbar out there when they showed us other and much better sounding and "techier" soundbars such as the one we listened on from BlueSound, wireless, AirPlay 2 coming and it's available in white etc. Maybe it's time for me to say goodbye to Sonos and the everlasting dream of a white 2.0 version of the Playbar.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Oh man... so I was semi-excited about listen to the new Sonos Beam today. I've been longing for a Playbar 2.0 in white for several years and thought to myself, maybe, just maybe that the Beam would blow me away and that I could feel satisfied with the additional and updated tech, support for AirPlay 2, white (it's a big deal) and so on... but what a downer... utterly unimpressed. We compared it with the old Playbar (soundwise) and even other soundbars from other vendors. Spent an hour and a half back and forth to get a feel of it but the verdict is NO - thumbs down. Leaving the HIFI store I realized that it's not worth waiting for Sonos to get a 2.0 Playbar out there when they showed us other and much better sounding and "techier" soundbars such as the one we listened on from BlueSound, wireless, AirPlay 2 coming and it's available in white etc. Maybe it's time for me to say goodbye to Sonos and the everlasting dream of a white 2.0 version of the Playbar.

Shame. But at almost half the price Beam was never going to match the playbar. Seems to be a more of an everyman product.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Felt it necessary to come back and talk about the BEAM!!!!

I am not ok with being told all along airplay2 will work across all speakers and was really hoping for a playbar upgrade.

Hell even a discount for those of us who have been with Sonos for the long haul.

Sooooo........

Just picked up my Sonos beam. Played with it at Best Buy this morning and got to say. I am Impressed.

If you don’t have an open room and it’s enclosed. This is perfect. Playbar adds depth and helps with open rooms because of having more amplifiers....

Overall I like this product much more than the playbase.. Stick to the bars/beam.
Userlevel 1
Badge

If you though the Beam was going to be a better option than the Playbar... That right there was your first mistake. Did you look at the specs?

I guess I went into this thinking/knowing it wouldn't be on the same level as the playbar. The beam is great for a bedroom. No I would not put it in my home theater or living room.

I like this much better than the playbase crap they rolled out last.
Userlevel 1
Badge

I received mine on the same day it was launched. It is now paired with 2x Play 1 as LS and RS speakers. When i watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, in the Sonos app it is showing the output audio is Dolby Digital 5.1. I am not an expert, but i am very happy with this set up without SUB, sounds clear, balanced and actually dynamic and it gives you real surround sound feeling. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Got my Beam 2 days ago and absolutely delighted with it. Setup was an absolute breeze, especially as I already own 3 Sonos Ones so Alexa is already configured.

Within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box, everything was set up! The TV's sound was automatically coming through the Beam in perfect sync, I could control the volume with the TV remote, and turn the TV on and off with Alexa. I didn't have to change a single setting on the TV to get it working perfectly and sounding spot-on.

Using my Beam with a 49 inch 2017 LG Smart UHD TV (not an OLED one, just one of the lower-end models). In a fairly small living room and it sounds great. Can't imagine ever needing to use it at more than about 50%-60% volume, even for movies.

Bought my first Sonos One in December last year. Now have 3 Ones and the Beam in a 4-room multiroom system. The addiction is in full swing!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The Beam was never aimed at replacing the Playbar - the price-point made that clear.

No it is probably not going to be sufficient if you want the true, big daddy home theatre experience. However if you want one single speaker for your living room that essentially does it all (TV soundbar / Music streamer / Smart assistant), I'd say the Beam absolutely nails the brief in all but the largest of living-rooms.

Sonos is onto a winner here in my view. Their most versatile speaker ever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
can anyone comment on how a Beam would compare by swapping out a playbar in a Playbar + Play 1 + Sub setup ? I assume the differences would not be so great as the sub as taking up some of the slack but would be interested to know if it would be noticeably worse in a 4 x 4 m room.

I would then move the Playbar to a bigger room currently Sonos-less !