Meet Sonos Beam

Show first post

306 replies

So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?

As I understand the Beam, it is considered a 3.0 speaker. Then adding the Sub makes it a 3.1 and then adding 2 rear speakers makes it a true 5.1 system. Is that not correct?
Badge +2
I was getting excited when I heard abut support for hdmi, then this.. small price meant for a small room no atmos (netflix and others are using that) Still innovation is behind it's time It's like 6.2 pounds slightly more weight than a play 3 so how would it compare to a play 3 Play 3 one tweeter, two mid woofers Beam is four full range woofers and one tweeter. Play 5 3 tweeters and three mid woofers playbase 18 lbs, playbar 11.9, Play 5 14 lbs, Play 3 5.71 lbs weight may not be everything but it does state what you are getting when you compare that to speakers. so how will it stack up..Note I can use a dot echo for controls. No pre order for me - instead I'll wait for the store and see"
Currently use chrome cast to turn on my TV and everything plays through my playbar and sub. Amazon has a cube that turns on TV as well now.
May be it will be OK in a bedroom....
second new product in recent years and for me I am again met with disappointment. (playbase was the other)..Maybe I expect to much for 2018. I guess they really don't want my money.

If you want atmos you best look elsewhere - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/sound-bar.html
It took them a long time to get to hdmi
Badge +12
I was getting excited when I heard abut support for hdmi, then this.. small price meant for a small room no atmos (netflix and others are using that) Still innovation is behind it's time It's like 6.2 pounds slightly more weight than a play 3 so how would it compare to a play 3 Play 3 one tweeter, two mid woofers Beam is four full range woofers and one tweeter. Play 5 3 tweeters and three mid woofers playbase 18 lbs, playbar 11.9, Play 5 14 lbs, Play 3 5.71 lbs weight may not be everything but it does state what you are getting when you compare that to speakers. so how will it stack up..Note I can use a dot echo for controls. No pre order for me - instead I'll wait for the store and see"
Currently use chrome cast to turn on my TV and everything plays through my playbar and sub. Amazon has a cube that turns on TV as well now.
second new product in recent years and for me I am again met with disappointment. (playbase was the other)..Maybe I expect to much for 2018. I guess they really don't want my money.

If you want atmos you best look elsewhere - https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categories/sound-bar.html

It is disappointing, but the beam is a price point sound bar, aim at the biggest segment of the sound bar market. Something simply that will give you a good upgrade form most flat screen TV sound. I wish it had been a upgrade for the playbar. Just got a new tv, and while I love sonos for music. I just can not bring myself to invest in sonos for my home theater.
Badge +2

It is disappointing, but the beam is a price point sound bar, aim at the biggest segment of the sound bar market. Something simply that will give you a good upgrade form most flat screen TV sound. I wish it had been a upgrade for the playbar. Just got a new tv, and while I love sonos for music. I just can not bring myself to invest in sonos for my home theater.
It will never be a 5.1 system because the sound bar will never be wide enough to really ever give the left right channel. The bar would have to be only a center channel. I could never use this in my media room....It's Ok in my living room...but the beam...well that may be ok in a bedroom only..replacing my first gen play 5...but just a maybe on that
As for atmos...at most it would be good for is in a bedroom maybe...lol....those firing up to ceiling atmos speakers are really NOT that great when you have heard ceiling mounted ones.
Badge

I just ordered the Beam 5.1 pack to give it a try for 100 days and will see.

My biggest issue is now they have HDMI, but dont decode DTS HD MA, or other higher quality formats, so im very worried about how my content will play.
I have a small/medium sized lounge, so hoping the Beam will fill it nicely with the 5.1

I am also a little disappointing that they did HDMI and didnt give us anything really good to go with it, like a new Playbar refresh.
I definitely dont want to purchase older tech and be stuck with optical too.

So unfortunately for me its only Beam, and hoping they will add in new audio codecs later or even a new refreshed Playbar.
So lets see.

Also question... When Sonos release Google Assistant, will I be able to say OK Google to my Beam and it will listen like Google Home and Mini? Ie will the assistant be naively running on the Beam?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Also question... When Sonos release Google Assistant, will I be able to say OK Google to my Beam and it will listen like Google Home and Mini? Ie will the assistant be naively running on the Beam?

Yes and no. I'm sure the Beam won't have the same firmware on it as the Google products do, but it will have it's own firmware that communicates with Google's cloud for Home. So yes, you will be able to give commands to the Beam and it will execute those commands...play music etc. However, I'd be surprised if it does everything a Google Home will do, same as the Beam won't do everything an echo will do. For example, I doubt you'll be able to make voice calls with a Beam. I don't know, I am just speculating on that.

And to be clear, you very likely won't need to get a Beam or Sonos One to control Sonos with Google Home. You should be able to tell you're existing Google Home and it will pass the command on to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So can we finally add four Sonos Speakers and a sub to get "real" 5.1 audio? For example the Beam as Center, two Play 5s as L/R and two Play 1s as Rear L/R?

As I understand the Beam, it is considered a 3.0 speaker. Then adding the Sub makes it a 3.1 and then adding 2 rear speakers makes it a true 5.1 system. Is that not correct?

correct
Badge

Yes and no. I'm sure the Beam won't have the same firmware on it as the Google products do, but it will have it's own firmware that communicates with Google's cloud for Home. So yes, you will be able to give commands to the Beam and it will execute those commands...play music etc. However, I'd be surprised if it does everything a Google Home will do, same as the Beam won't do everything an echo will do. For example, I doubt you'll be able to make voice calls with a Beam. I don't know, I am just speculating on that.

And to be clear, you very likely won't need to get a Beam or Sonos One to control Sonos with Google Home. You should be able to tell you're existing Google Home and it will pass the command on to Sonos.

Thanks, I was planning to get rid of my Homes, and so on and just use Sonos Ones instead or put the Home into office/garage.
Hopefully they will get the integration seamless, and add recipes and so on.
Badge
Another question, does anyone know what room size this is made for?
I know they say small/medium but in terms of m2?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Another question, does anyone know what room size this is made for?
I know they say small/medium but in terms of m2?

We don't list a specific measurement size, as there are a lot more factors that go into getting the best sound for the room, like the placement of furniture and the makeup and layout of the room. Generally, you're best off trying it out at home to see how it fits.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
But as for the beam there are no other alternatives in terms of HDMI like for speakers.
The sound of the beam is more or less good than 2 play 1 or 3?

This is similar to how the Playbar compares to them, they all sound good. You can potentially create a wider soundstage with a pair, in that you can physically separate out a stereo pair. Beam's soundstage is by no means small. In terms of power, it's closer to a pair of Play:3s than Play:1s, considering it has four full-range woofers and a tweeter, all independently amplified and specifically tuned, along with three passive radiators for room filling bass.

This is what I was looking for - thanks! Currently only have a Play 3 in the lounge for music and using TV speakers for TV. If I was happy enough with the Play 3 for music, it sounds like I will be more than happy with the Beam. Have pre-ordered 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
[quote=Taps803]Newbie question here. I do not own any Sonos products. I have been waiting for a Sonos soundbar that supports voice control. I'm considering a Beam 5.1 setup.

I want to use the Beam to replace current 2.1 soundbar that has a lot of HDMI ports. I'm hesitating because I read the Beam only has 1 HDMI port.

Current Setup:
TV:
2016 LG OLED 65E6P TV
- 4 HDMI ports. HDMI port #2 is labeled "(ARC)"
- 1 port labeled Optical Digital Audio out
Peripherals:
2016 DirecTV 4K setup
2017 Apple TV 4K
2016 Samsung 4K BluRay Player

Is the following correct?

If I connect:
1) the Sonos Beam to my LG OLED's HDMI #2 port labeled (ARC)
2) DirecTV to HDMI #1 port
3) AppleTV to HDMI #3 port
4) Samsung 4k BluRay to HDMI #4 port

then those 3 TV peripherals's sound will use the Sonos Beam for sound because of
- the HDMI cable going between Sonos Beam LG OLED HDMI (ARC) port #2
and
- the 3 other HDMI connections between LG OLED HDMI remaining 3 ports and perpherals above

??

Not sure anyone ever answered the original question. The set up you described is correct - Beam connected to ARC port, then anything connected to and playing through the TV will have the sound through the Beam. the TV is the hub
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Wow - this is a long thread!

I am waiting to see what people think of the Beam with Sub and Surrounds vs Bar with Sub and Surrounds. Other than that I think many people are missing the point.

If I wanted a state of the art surround system, I would buy one. If I wanted Sonos integration I would then buy a Connect and link it to the state of the art surround system. It seems completely counter intuitive to ask Sonos to support Atmos with their current product line up. In my mind you would need some kind of Connect Amp on steroids to feed lots of speakers around a room.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I am waiting to see what people think of the Beam with Sub and Surrounds vs Bar with Sub and Surrounds. Other than that I think many people are missing the point.

For me this is the main question. How's it sound compared to the bar/base?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The Beam was installed in my store yesterday. All I have to say is Kudos to the Sonos engineering team. The Beam's audio signature is exactly inline with the Playbar and the Playbase. In my initial listening the biggest difference I could tell was the louder playback of the larger units. If you have a small area the Beam is going to sound great and it's small form factor is a BIG plus.

Thoughts on Atmos:

While Atmos is a nice thought the reality is most people upgrading their sound simply want better sound than what their TV can manage. The people that care about Atmos already know they need to wire up the height channels and do a little sweat equity to deliver the results they want. Atmos soundbars are in this weird area where they are too expensive for the average consumer and not good enough for the audiophile.

Looking forward to sprinkling some Beams around my home.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The Beam was installed in my store yesterday. All I have to say is Kudos to the Sonos engineering team. The Beam's audio signature is exactly inline with the Playbar and the Playbase. In my initial listening the biggest difference I could tell was the louder playback of the larger units. If you have a small area the Beam is going to sound great and it's small form factor is a BIG plus.

Thoughts on Atmos:

While Atmos is a nice thought the reality is most people upgrading their sound simply want better sound than what their TV can manage. The people that care about Atmos already know they need to wire up the height channels and do a little sweat equity to deliver the results they want. Atmos soundbars are in this weird area where they are too expensive for the average consumer and not good enough for the audiophile.

Looking forward to sprinkling some Beams around my home.

Hi and thank you!
Could you elaborate more what you mean for small and large space? In terms of mq maybe?
Thank you
I would think it's pretty hard to give you an answer in square meters or feet. So much of that whole thing depends on what kind of floor covering, furniture, drapes, etc are in a room. It really depends on the individual room, rather than assigning a single "this speaker is good for this size space" kind of thing. And much of that could be mitigated by TruePlay tuning as well, throwing an additional wrench in the process.

I'd encourage you to do what hmurchison appears to have done....go listen for yourself, and make your own assessment. I'm certainly looking forward to doing that as well.
Looks like Prime Day might extend right through release day for Beam. Deals right out of the gate? Ya never know...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-may-spilled-beans-prime-181116803.html
Badge
@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

I see Bose has Dolby and DTS on their soundbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ryan S, what are the chances of Sonos supporting other audio codecs namely DTS for Beam considering it has HDMI?
95% of my movies are all DTS... So more support would mean more compatibility and more people would like this.

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.
Userlevel 1

Hi, Sonos Beam was designed to be used with the most popular streaming services, none of which support DTS. This is the same reason we do not support DTS on the Playbar or Playbase. If you want to watch DTS-encoded audio content with Sonos Beam, it's possible to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital using a variety of Blu-ray players or modern game consoles. Beam plays Dolby Digital 5.1, so if you're getting Dolby Atmos or other Dolby Digital compatible signals, your TV should automatically send Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam as requested via an HDMI-ARC handshake.

DTS support should be no more than a simple software patch to load the relevant decoder to the product. If you can decode Dolby Digital it should be easy to load a DTS decoder codec. To restrict your customer base to watching streamed only content in Dolby Digital is a bit short sited especially after all the comments on this forum about watching DVDs and Blurays with DTS soundtracks.
I can only assume this failure to implement DTS for loyal customers who have spent a small fortune on Sonos “Home Cinema” speaker setups is a cost issue conveniently hidden behind the streaming only usage excuse.
Very sad indeed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos have held this DTS position since day one of the playbar. I guess they have had enough sales already to not see it as a problem.
Releasing the beam as a half price playbar, for all the other tvs in the house, which probably are in bedrooms with younger people who have given up on dvds, and stream everything on demand, is a very clever sales move IMO.
We can only hope the playbar2 will support higher codecs. We need to keep pressure up on here.
Badge
Moving this message into a new post. It basically read: I'm super super bummed with Sonos' Home Theater offerings.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
First reviews of the Beam are coming out.
It seems an awesome product with "A little bright and sibilant at high volumes" like the playbase.

https://www.whathifi.com/sonos/beam/review
Userlevel 1
Badge
Really wanted to buy this but ended up buying a Sonos 1 to enable airplay on all my other Sonos devices instead and an Apple TV 4K. In order to take full advantage of the smart features of the Beam via HDMI ARC you need to use an HDMI port. However, if like me your TV has 3 HDMI ports and the Beam doesn't have at least HDMI in as well as out losing 1 HDMI port is a big negative. Decided to stick with my Sky soundbox for £250 as it sounds good and has HMDI in/out and optical. I feel this should have been the same on the Beam (or at least HDMI in and out). Still a good product though if you have 4/5 HDMI ports.