Meet Roam SL

Related products: Hardware News
Meet Roam SL

Sonos has always been focused on giving our listeners choice. Today we are introducing Roam SL,  the essential ultraportable speaker that offers an even more affordable way to enjoy the Sonos experience anywhere you go.

Roam SL offers the same impressive sound for its size, effortless setup and control, and lightweight, durable design as Sonos Roam. Roam SL does not have a microphone, which means it does not support select features including built-in voice control, Automatic Trueplay, or Sound Swap.

You can find pricing and availability of Roam SL hereRoam SL is available in most regions. Visit Sonos.com to see if it is available in your area.

After getting very excited about ordering multiple units I placed my pre-orders, only to find they are only available on the US site. 

When are you going to release pre-orders or actual orders for Aus customers?

Does the Roam SL support manual trueplay still?

Does this new Roam improve on the on/off/Bluetooth button? Are there still battery drain problems?

So excited about the Roam SL (from what they told me), but have NOT yet been able to get the damn thing to connect either to our iPhones via bluetooth or to our S1 network--in fact, I NEVER wanted to connect it to the S1 b/c I knew it wouldn’t, but it seems that Sonos MAKES you d/l the S2 app to even set it up via bluetooth.

This is CRAP! and I advise you NOT to purchase one until they sort these issues out.  There are $30 bluetooth speakers out there that will connect in 30 seconds to any phone or bluetooth-enabled device and I feel gypped for sure so far.

NONE of the instructions panned out; the lights don’t flash the way they’re supposed to; it will not beep to signify it’s ready to link; and it couldn’t be found by my iPhone 12.  REFUND!

Sonos clearly states that the Roam should be set up with the Sonos app on wifi first, and that the Roam is S2 only. What is the issue?

You have not bought a just a bluetooth speaker, you have bought a bluetooth speaker that is designed to also be part of a multiroom wifi system. To me it is not strange that this needs some extra set up steps.

Not everyone is on the “grid” when traveling. So assume you are in a cabin in the woods. You have brought two Roams to use as a stereo pair via bluetooth using your own music collection that is available at a high bit rate on an iPhone. Guess what? One can only play one roam via bluetooth. No stereo pair, no streaming mono to two speakers. Nada. I suggust Sonos check out their competition at Bose. Bose allows stereo pairing of two portable speakers seamlessly. Get with it SONOS!!

Does the Roam SL support manual trueplay still?

No - the Roam SL is intended as a ‘portable’ speaker I can’t see the ‘majority’ wanting to manually TruePlay tune the device each time they moved it around the Home/outside - that would not make much sense… if the intention is to leave the device ‘static’, I would perhaps opt for the Sonos One SL instead.

If you have one of each Roam, and stereo pair them using the original as the main speaker and adding the SL as it’s stereo pair, does the mic in the original perform trueplay on the stereo pair, or does it just perform it for itself?

If you have one of each Roam, and stereo pair them using the original as the main speaker and adding the SL as it’s stereo pair, does the mic in the original perform trueplay on the stereo pair, or does it just perform it for itself?

This link is the only information I could find about auto-trueplay on Sonos portable devices: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3569

It mentions that TruePlay is enabled on a stereo pair, but only when both products mics are enabled. I guess if there is no mic on one of the devices, then it won’t be enabled.

Not everyone is on the “grid” when traveling. So assume you are in a cabin in the woods. You have brought two Roams to use as a stereo pair via bluetooth using your own music collection that is available at a high bit rate on an iPhone. Guess what? One can only play one roam via bluetooth. No stereo pair, no streaming mono to two speakers. Nada. I suggust Sonos check out their competition at Bose. Bose allows stereo pairing of two portable speakers seamlessly. Get with it SONOS!!

You said what I wanted to say, I look forward to it strongly.It's like large AirPods. It looks amazing.