Listening Out Loud just got easier with Sonos Version 6.4 Available Now

• 7 September 2016
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12005 replies
Big changes to the way we listen to music on Sonos are now available with Sonos version 6.4. We know it’s going to help you listen to more music in your home than ever before. There are some big differences, so it may take a little getting used to.

The largest changes are outlined here, so please take a look and get familiar with how the queue and other fields work. Feel free to ask us questions here, or in a new thread. There's also some great information on our blog.

Before now, general control over Sonos and the Queue hadn’t changed in about ten years. But we’ve heard from many people who want a faster, easier experience that keeps music playing effortlessly throughout their homes. We spent months researching, observing how people use Sonos, and trying different options.

We’ve also been watching a growing trend. Streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify, and Google Play make it easy to get music playing with a tap and keep it going. Great music curation + streaming means it only takes a few seconds to find a playlist you’ll love and play it on your phone, why not at home? We wanted the Sonos experience to be similar. Fewer taps, more music.

It was important that we didn’t remove anything, so everything you could do before you can still do now. It’s just a little different, and we know that takes time to get used to. This software, was in beta test previously, you can find that thread and the discussion around it here.

Please note that with this update iOS 6 will no longer be compatible with Sonos and devices running it will either need to have their iOS updated or they will be unable to control Sonos. As of Sonos version 6.4 the minimum requirements for full Sonos controllers are: Mac OS 10.9, Windows 7, iOS 8, and Android 4.0. To read more about Sonos requirements and which controllers are still partially supported see here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Thanks Ryan, that's a concise and clear notice with great links.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan, that's a concise and clear notice with great links.
Thanks Paul! Let us know if you have any questions.
Immediately after the update our speakers cut out incessantly! Help!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Immediately after the update our speakers cut out incessantly! Help!?

Hi Mitchf7,

Mind sending in a diagnostic report from your system? Reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look. Here's how to submit diagnostic reports.
I hate it already. You used to able to double click on Complete Album and it would just automatically add to end of queue and start playing. No more. And yes, yet another release that is slower than the previous. You still can't play the whole album of various artists by searching on one artist: Search --> Folk --> (artist) --> (various artist album) --> Play whole album = just plays that one artist from that album. But that's not the whole album is it?

The 23 character limit to genres is still not fixed after 2 years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - there is no longer a way to add a whole album to the queue. In order to play a whole album you must wipe out the queue.

Yes - I never tried the show all songs on album link .... if you find an album by searching and of course it shows the song that matches the search ... you would think clicking at the top and chosing (Show all songs on album) would switch to the album view and show you everything. It does not it just shows you the same song from the search and not the rest of songs on album. Appears to be a bug to me.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Well, I really like it. I much prefer the flexibility of being able to wipe out the queue easily or add to it. (Not sure if I've misunderstood the comment above about not being able to add entire albums to the queue, I can, by clicking the dots in the top right of the album page & clicking 'add to end of queue').
Thanks for the quick response! Just got a call back from the support department. Have to play around with the network a bit or go to compressed audio. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yes - there is no longer a way to add a whole album to the queue. In order to play a whole album you must wipe out the queue.

Two ways to do this, the first is as AM_A said above. The second is from the view screen where you're seeing your albums and their artwork, you can press and hold on an album in either iOS or Android and it should pull up a menu with an option to "Add to End of Queue."
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Will have to check. Wouldn't work for me earlier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The wiling the queue out easily thing is the part many of us don't like about new version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ryan and Am_A are correct you can add an album to end of queue (on iPhone version holding down the album then swiping up when it shows the album screen gives you the option or use the ... at top right of album to select). I had picked an album that only had 1 song and therefore didn't show the option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Finally! 1-click play! This is a change for the best. "Fewer taps" is always better. The paid 'SonoPad' app functions this way, and it's much easier.
The changes to the queue seem to make Sonos feel more like an iPod or iTunes, like the music is physically stored on Sonos. Many people complain about the queue, saying "Why do I need to create a queue, why can't I just play a song?!" I feel like this might help make some of those people more comfortable using Sonos. I was more comfortable the old way..
The changes to the queue seem to make Sonos feel more like an iPod or iTunes..

You say that like it's a good thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
No, the first part about fewer taps is a good thing. That next part was just me adding my 2 cents, that's why I said 'I was more comfortable the old way..'!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm in the category of the fewer taps is more familiar for new users that are used to seeing coming from other apps. However, there are a lot of things that could be done to have kept some consistency for the long term user.

Marketing wise and new sales - probably a big draw
User satisfaction and loyalty - maybe not so much - as you really by going away from queue take away what differentiates Sonos from most in the market. My Sonos controller I normally share with others is firmly on version 6.3

They could have approached it better in a way that improves both categories. Maybe 6.5 will give some better love to the loyal existing users.
I did the update two days ago, and now if I try to play music from my iPhone in sonos, not all of my music library is available. It wasn't a problem before the update. I'm not sure what else to try.
Sonos has definitely made a big mistake with this one tap change and I am very disappointed. Used it last night for for time after being urged by Sonos to update .... Hate the way it works and so do all the guests I had over last night who were frustrated by the quirky and seemingly thoughtless limitations which now exist..... Please modify or UNDO IT... Fast!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Still loving it here to be honest. With this update & my recent move from Spotify to Apple Music I find I've listened to more music in the last week than usual.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Is it right that if I play a track from towards the end of an album it puts the whole album in a new queue and starts it at the track I selected? What's the point of that? I didn't want the rest of the album, nor did I want the stuff before it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Is it right that if I play a track from towards the end of an album it puts the whole album in a new queue and starts it at the track I selected? What's the point of that? I didn't want the rest of the album, nor did I want the stuff before it...
Yes that is right, and I agree with you 100%. I would also prefer only that one track plays, not the entire album.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
But then you just need to click the '...' To the side of the track you're interested in & select either 'play next' or 'add to end of queue'. You'll get the track alone & nothing else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In a multiuser environment people will click the song name. They won't click the ...
Userlevel 2
Badge
For me personally the one tap play feature was the best change yet in the controller SW
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
*posted wrong thread -deleted*