Known Issues with Sonos App and iOS 9

• 16 September 2015
  • 33 replies

Badge +3
A few hours ago Apple released iOS 9 to all regions and many of you are likely downloading the update at the moment. For the most part, the Sonos app is fully functional on iOS 9, but there are a few known issues that we’re working to address in a future update.
  • It is currently not possible to use Voice Over with setup wizards on the iPad. Entering a wizard with Voice Over activated causes the Voice Over to lose focus, leaving the wizard unable to progress.
  • You may notice incorrectly rendered black bars in the UI in some browsing menus on the iPad.
  • When setting an alarm, you may see the times rendered as dots (rather than the numbers). We recommend setting alarms using a controller on a different operating system.
We are expecting to have these issues resolved soon and will update this thread again when a new version of our app is available for download on the App Store.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

jeverlin,

Sometimes a SONOS update exposes a fundamental flaw in the local network.

I suggest that you shut down EVERYTHING on your network and restart in the following order:

Modem
Router
Wired SONOS units
Wireless SONOS units
NAS if you use one
Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step.

By the way we are now up to iOS 9.1.

If you are using the CR200 (Also known as "CONTROLLER"), you can pull the battery and force a reboot. If you are using the earlier CR100 simultaneously press and hold the Mute and Music buttons. If a CR100 is being very stubborn, remove it from the charger and allow the battery to fully discharge -- this could require several days.
Tried to update to 5.5 on the discontinued Sonos Controller and the update download froze half way through. Totally locked up, can't figure out how to reboot.

Went to my iPhone, it appears the 5.5 update loaded, according to the "About My Sonos System" it says version 5.5. When I try to add a player, it goes through the motions and ends up with an error saying it can't find the device. I can add a bridge, can't add any players.

iPhone 6S runing IOS 9.0.2

Any ideas?

John
Thanks for the post John.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Many times after an ios upgrade an iPhone and your router leave duplicate IP addresses.

The best way to permanently fix is go on your iPhone. Under wifi settings. Tell it to forget your home wifi network.

Then reboot your router.

Then on the iPhone go back under wifi settings and add back your home wifi.

This will solve connectivity issues ... which Sonos issues are a symptom of.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Having a nightmare with iOS 9.0.2 - cannot connect to my bar or my play 1 - feel duped and pissed off How do I fix this?

First of all by keeping cool.

I have reloaded the app and keep trying to connect on SONOS wifi via my settings. This keeps asking for a password - which I do not recall having to enter when setting up.

GRRRRR very very annoying

You are not supposed to connect to the Sonos Wifi (on iOS you shouldn't even see it), you should connect to your home wifi (you should know your own wifi key) and make sure that your Sonos system is configured correctly (either via one wired Sonos device, a Sonos Bridge or a Sonos system set up to work via wifi).
I think the app may be back to using a lot of battery in the background. same here... iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.2, Sonos app sits at 22% battery use, (2,7 hours in background) for the past 24 hours. Could switching to WiFi and doing away with the bridges have anything to do with it? Anyone else seen this? Thanks.
Having a nightmare with iOS 9.0.2 - cannot connect to my bar or my play 1 - feel duped and pissed off How do I fix this? I have reloaded the app and keep trying to connect on SONOS wifi via my settings. This keeps asking for a password - which I do not recall having to enter when setting up.

GRRRRR very very annoying
Badge +3
Hi everyone, the fixes for the known issues in iOS 9 are now live in Sonos version 5.5. Update your system using the Update Now button in the app, and download the new app version from the App Store to complete the update.
Badge
I think the app may be back to using a lot of battery in the background.
Recently Sonos is not recognizing new podcast episodes downloaded to my iPad. I also recently upgraded to IOS 9. Are these related? How do I fix?
After reading other forums I managed to fix it by reauthrising my account on my Mac!
Since I upgraded my iPhone 6+ to iOS 9 I can no longer get Spotify to play through my Sonos system. The following message appears: Your Spoftify account needs to be reauthorised, but one or more of your Sonos products needs to be updated first. Please update your system and reauthorised your account. All my apps are up to date including Sonos and Spotify. Is this a Spotify issue or a Sonos issue? Any help would be appreciated as this is very frustrating!
Thanks!
Did you guys test it at all? I am not impressed.

Based on my experiences with previous major iOS updates and other 3rd party Apps, testing with iOS betas is not always effective. Apple can make some last minute changes that cause issues for 3rd parties. After an issue is discovered, a 3rd party developer must identify and fix the issue, run the new update through its own beta testers, then submit the updated App for approval. The approval process alone can require a week or more before an updated 3rd party App is available to users. In many cases there is simply not enough elapsed time to respond to a late change before the iOS version is released. If history repeats, there will soon be an update to iOS 9 that could start the "fix it" cycle again.

Unless you need to be on the leading edge for some reason, it is always best to hold off on installing major updates and allow things to stabilize.
Badge +3
Anyone from Sonos care to chime in here and acknowledge the problem so we can get working on a fix? Ive got a few hundred emails now complaining that my system is no longer functioning when in actuality its the Sonos app. I can confirm buzz's post completely, he describes the situation perfectly.

Hi AVMaster, we have a fix for this on the way and it should be out within the next few weeks. I'll let everyone here know when an update is available.
In case it helps to report more occurrences -- this mostly works, but I'm also having problems with the songs:// url scheme, as reported by AVMaster and buzz. I use iRule on an iTouch for this... and have a four other url scheme buttons that are working just fine (yes, you had to grant permission the first time, but after that it works). Only the sonos:// url scheme is broken, and crashes after the splash screen (and with a residual black-screen "blank app" as buzz mentioned.

Looking forward to an update!
Userlevel 2
Badge
In how many homes do you have equipment? For a Player like Sonos I think the level of "not working" items are somewhere between strange and weird. For how long time have you had time to test everything on IOS 9 - and as simple as setting an alarm does not Work. Did you guys test it at all? I am not impressed. This is not the path of a leader - this looks more like the path of "Oh yes - right - some one is talking about a new IOS - should we maybe look into this - now it is our only remote control for a great many people?"
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried rebooting your router and the sonos units effective.

No it would not think it is an ios9 issue.
I have also updated my iPad to the fresh ios9. Now my Sonos App does not recognize my two Play:1 sets, but only my Connect device. The sonos app on my iphone, not yet upgraded, as well as the sonos controllers on my local MACbook and Windows PCs have no trouble seeing all three devices.
So I guess it is an ios9 issue ?
thanks in advance.
Anyone from Sonos care to chime in here and acknowledge the problem so we can get working on a fix? Ive got a few hundred emails now complaining that my system is no longer functioning when in actuality its the Sonos app. I can confirm buzz's post completely, he describes the situation perfectly.
A few hours ago Apple released iOS 9...
  • It is currently not possible to use Voice Over with setup wizards on the iPad. Entering a wizard with Voice Over activated causes the Voice Over to lose focus, leaving the wizard unable to progress.
  • You may notice incorrectly rendered black bars in the UI in some browsing menus on the iPad.
  • When setting an alarm, you may see the times rendered as dots (rather than the numbers). We recommend setting alarms using a controller on a different operating system.

Hi John M,
here are some more issues:
  • You will find the rendering problem on iPhone 5s too.
  • When I tried to change the volume in the UI for the playbar the change will display in the UI and set in the playbar but after a few seconds the visual change in the UI jumps back to the setting befor.
Greetings from Germany,
Maurice
AVMaster,

After playing with this for a while I think that the pop-up asking permission might be a one time event because I only saw the pop-up on the first trial. However, the SONOS controller always crashes. My App does not crash and displays the correct screen when I re-enter the App.

I also notice that there is a completely blank App "running" after the SONOS controller crash. I'm not yet sure if this is what is left of the SONOS controller or something else because I have also seen this empty App under other circumstances.

As a test, I freshly rebooted the iPAD, started my App, and called the SONOS controller. There was no permission pop-up, the SONOS App crashed, and on closer inspection the blank "App" is identified as "Sonos". It's curious that Apps that I have not run for a while are showing up in the iOS task list (displayed after the double clicked iPAD Home button)

Another trial: Force close everything that I could see, reboot, check the iOS multi-task list and discover Safari, eMail, Settings, and FING are running, I also note that the iPAD is still in Airplane mode. I had been in Airplane mode before the reboot. Evidently, reboot does not clear everything. This could create a failure loop if an App crashes and is automatically relaunched after a reboot.

Note that I am running a SONOS beta and the response that I observe might not be exactly what you are seeing.
Ugh, iPad Air 2 also.
We just tested on 16 iPads, ranging from iPad mini to iPad Air. Typing sonos:// in Safari no longer launches the Sonos app like it used to. Instead, you are initially prompted if you would like to open the link in Sonos. When you click to accept, you get the Sonos app splash screen followed by it crashing and returning you to the iOS home screen. This happened every single time on every single iPad. I also have reports from our customers claiming the same. There is clearly a problem.
When will the alarm issue be fixed? It's irritating and having to turn on a desktop computer just to set an alarm is not exactly a practical solution...
Userlevel 2
Works well on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 with iOS9.

Any plans for Slide Over/ Split View compatibility in the future ?

Thanks !