Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
Today we’re excited to announce our newest product, the all new PLAY:5. The original PLAY:5 still sounds great and we’ve upgraded it in almost every way.

The new PLAY:5 has our best sounding player yet. It's got six synchronized, custom-designed drivers, each with its own Class-D amp, and three mid-woofers for mid-range frequencies. There’s also a touch interface for convenient play/pause, volume adjustment, and changing tracks with a swipe. The new PLAY:5 also has six internal antennas, for the best wifi in any orientation. Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/meet-trueplay-and-the-all-new-play5/. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Along with the new PLAY:5, we will be launching an exciting new software development we call Trueplay. This is a speaker tuning software above and beyond basic equalization options which uses the Sonos software on an iOS controller to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound in any room of your home.

Finally, in the next few days, we’ll be introducing HLS streaming for the BBC via an update to our public beta for Sonos version 6.0. We’ll post a separate announcement with information here when the next public beta update is available.

The new PLAY:5 and Trueplay will be available later this year, and you can sign up here to be notified when the PLAY:5 is available for purchase: http://www.sonos.com/new-play-5-smart-speaker

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

A stereo pair with the old PLAY:5 and the new PLAY:5 would be extremely unbalanced based on the sound profiles for the units so it will not be possible to set up. The original PLAY:5 didn't have the hardware required to bond as rear speakers with the PLAYBAR, the new one can, but it wouldn't be able to take an old one with it.

Ryan, thanks for the Encore clarification, but if the above quote/reason isn't a good enough case for why the new play 5 ought to have a different name, I can't think of a better reason.
@random_man, the old play 5 doesn't have a 5Ghz antenna, so it can't be used as a surround.

Whoa. Wait. Does the new Play:5 have a 5 Ghz antenna?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@random_man, the old play 5 doesn't have a 5Ghz antenna, so it can't be used as a surround.

Whoa. Wait. Does the new Play:5 have a 5 Ghz antenna?

Yes it does. 6 antennas in total for best wifi performance in all three of its orientations.
Yes it does. 6 antennas in total for best wifi performance in all three of it's orientations.

Ok. Now I need to have Connects and Connect:AMPs with 5 Ghz antennas. Please. Thank you. 😃
Ok. Now I need to have Connects and Connect:AMPs with 5 Ghz antennas. Please. Thank you. :D
5GHz is for in-room bonding as PLAYBAR satellites. There's a possible case for 5GHz in the C:A, to dispense with the hard-wire requirement (though the counterargument is that a C:A driving in-ceiling/in-wall surrounds could well be buried in a closet, out of range). It makes no obvious sense to add 5GHz to the CONNECT.
Ok. Now I need to have Connects and Connect:AMPs with 5 Ghz antennas. Please. Thank you. :D
5GHz is for in-room bonding as PLAYBAR satellites. There's a possible case for 5GHz in the C:A, to dispense with the hard-wire requirement (though the counterargument is that a C:A driving in-ceiling/in-wall surrounds could well be buried in a closet, out of range). It makes no obvious sense to add 5GHz to the CONNECT.

Yeah. Figured I was just being silly. Would be nice though... My interior security cameras obliterate the 2.4 ghz spectrum, so I basically can't use them if I want Sonos to work. Laptops I can put on the 5 Ghz band and use the cameras, but without Sonos up there, I choose Sonos over security.

Random Sonos trivia answer for you: Encore was just the internal name, as suggested. We use project names for everything before they're released. For example, the SUB was called Anvil.

And the Play:1 was "Amoeba"

Geddit?

Cheers,

Keith
Erm, nope?
and Nightingale ?
and Nightingale ?
Annie?
and Nightingale ?
Annie?

LOL

https://industrycanada.co/number.php?ic=5373A-RM009&id=178379

I hope they update their entire product line to bring the connect amp etc in line with BlueSound levels of quality.

The Connect Amp performs as well as any other audio 2 channel amp of 55wpc, what kind of update are you looking for? And with products such as better play units that will be on the roadmap, I can't see Sonos now making another version of it. One thing that they may perhaps be able to do is allow it to play in bridged mode and be able to be stereo paired with another such that those that must have more power can get a 110wpc solution for speakers that need that kind of power.

Sorry I was talking more about their product line and only mentioned the connect amp because it's the equivalent of the BlueSound Powernode I purchased. Basically I'd have liked Sonos to have a set of components that could match/compare to the BlueSound - even at higher price. I tested both extensively (Pulse, Play 5, Play 1, Play 3) before deciding, somewhat reluctantly to go with BlueSound because the Sonos stuff was fine for general music but the instant I put anything with punch on it, the bass response wasn't great and when I ramped the volume to about 75%, the bass basically disappeared. Even before that with hard rock and metal the sound was quite tiresome on the units I tested. I admit I didn't test the Sonos connect amp as the store I was purchasing from didn't stock it.

I really liked the Sonos iOS app (Bluesound one is lacking in many areas) and setup experience (Bluesound was honestly appalling) and of course Sonos has the experience with multiroom so I really wanted to go with them. My wife and I just couldn't in all honestly purchase the Play 5 after listening to it, even though we liked the other things about it and tried to convince ourselves.

If Sonos can show me a connect amp is as good as the Powernode (gen 1) with my floor standers and would do me a swap, I'm keen to listen to 'em 🙂 I'd like to have the Play 1 in the bathroom and Play 3 in the master bedroom.
Existing hardware will not be upgraded to include new components. Software yes, but never hardware. It would need to be a whole new product like the Play:5 (lol).

That's what I meant. A refreshed line of products with some better componentry, even at a higher price. A la the new Play 5....but please never bother with "HiDef" audio at 24bit > 44.1Khz playback....seriously, why the hell is it legal for people to try and sell snakeoil.
Badge
I recently had a Play:5 lost or stolen in a move and intended to replace it this week. There are still retailers carrying the old version for $399. I can't imagine I would appreciate the sonic improvements of the new model to justify the additional $100, but I would pay for the new model if I believed its range would be significantly improved with the new antennas. My source is a Mac/Airport Extreme/wired Bridge set up.

All things being equal should the new Play:5 have a significantly better range with my 3 year old Mac/Router/Bridge hardware than the old Play:5?
the bass response wasn't great and when I ramped the volume to about 75%, the bass basically disappeared.

If Sonos can show me a connect amp is as good as the Powernode (gen 1) with my floor standers and would do me a swap, I'm keen to listen to 'em 🙂 I'd like to have the Play 1 in the bathroom and Play 3 in the master bedroom.

To the first part - Sonos built the Sub as a modular add on for people like you, so everybody need not pay for such needs. Add the Sub to any play unit and see the resultant bass - have you tried that?

To your second point, what more does Sonos have to do for you to do that - many stores have a return policy for you to do just that on your own - you can't also be expecting Sonos to buy back your Bluesound kit?! I don't know Bluesound, and I don't know your floor standers. What I do know after a lot of experience of passive speakers and 2 channel amps is that if your floor standers meet your requirements with any 2 channel amp of up to 55wpc into 8 ohms power delivery capacity - and by any I mean never mind how expensive that amp may be - they will work just as well with the Connect Amp.
I looked up Bluesound - at more than twice the power delivery into a 4 ohm load, the Connect Amp is better than as good. The only thing that the Bluesound may do that Connect Amp doesn't is hi res music. Since I can't hear any difference between 16/44 and hi res, that is a worthless feature to me. YMMV.
the bass response wasn't great and when I ramped the volume to about 75%, the bass basically disappeared.

To the first part - Sonos built the Sub as a modular add on for people like you, so everybody need not pay for such needs. Add the Sub to any play unit and see the resultant bass - have you tried that?

To your second point, what more does Sonos have to do for you to do that - many stores have a return policy for you to do just that on your own - you can't also be expecting Sonos to buy back your Bluesound kit?! I don't know Bluesound, and I don't know your floor standers. What I do know after a lot of experience of passive speakers and 2 channel amps is that if your floor standers meet your requirements with any 2 channel amp of up to 55wpc into 8 ohms power delivery capacity - and by any I mean never mind how expensive that amp may be - they will work just as well with the Connect Amp.

Relax, I don't seriously expect them to buy my Bluesound. Regarding the sound quality of connect:amp it may have been OK for me, it's just that my experience with the standalone units so uninspiring, and several articles I read said that the Sonos Connect:Amp was not really comparable to the BlueSound Powernode in sound quality that I just went with Bluesound.

Now you don't have to get upset about this like you seem to be. Sonos might not be up there witih Bluesound but it's also about 1/2 - 2/3 the price! That was part of the appeal for me with Sonos as I wanted to buy several units but at the time I was looking I was primarily looking for an all-in-one unit and the Sonos' sounded awful.

Re the sub, I'm not paying Sonos for a sub that's nearly twice the cost of a Play 5, to get a system with no separation of sound that's more expensive than some floor standing speakers and a BlueSound PowerNode that is so much better.
Did we not determine that your play:5 was faulty? Nobody else has ever demonstrated the same sort of behaviour, so you may have been unlucky. Either that or you're trying to play something with idiotic bass in it like the kids play in their cars with banks of subs in the boot and expecting a small standalone speaker to perform in the same way, which is unrealistic at best.
Did we not determine that your play:5 was faulty? Nobody else has ever demonstrated the same sort of behaviour, so you may have been unlucky. Either that or you're trying to play something with idiotic bass in it like the kids play in their cars with banks of subs in the boot and expecting a small standalone speaker to perform in the same way, which is unrealistic at best.

No, we didn't determine it. I'll have to do some more testing with the Play 3's when I get the chance to see if they exhibit the issue too.

For the person who was wanting some songs to test, pretty much anything System of a Down exhibited the problem - Toxicity being a very obvious one. A bunch of Tool's harder songs did too.

Remember the bass was there up until about 70/75% volume. But even then I found music like Metallica and some of Tool's harder stuff seemed to really make the speakers "struggle" for want of a better word. Both my wife and I were feeling like it was assaulting our ears and not in a good way.

Anyway, I think we're going around in circles here because as I said, I have purchased a different system now. I'll keep an eye out on Sonos to see if they revamp the other units in the future.
I looked up Bluesound - at more than twice the power delivery into a 4 ohm load, the Connect Amp is better than as good. The only thing that the Bluesound may do that Connect Amp doesn't is hi res music. Since I can't hear any difference between 16/44 and hi res, that is a worthless feature to me. YMMV.

I don't want to continue the argument about the connect amp because as I said I never got to try one into some standalone speakers. It was basically my experience with the standalone units that made me end up crossing Sonos off my list of possibilities. Which was a shame. If the rep tells me that the lack of bass is just to be expected and I'd need a sub, I'll take him at his word.
several articles I read said that the Sonos Connect:Amp was not really comparable to the BlueSound Powernode in sound quality that I just went with Bluesound.

Now you don't have to get upset about this like you seem to be. Sonos might not be up there witih Bluesound but it's also about 1/2 - 2/3 the price!

Re the sub, I'm not paying Sonos for a sub that's nearly twice the cost of a Play 5, to get a system with no separation of sound that's more expensive than some floor standing speakers and a BlueSound PowerNode that is so much better.

I am not in the least bit upset - I am pointing out pertinent data that may be useful to someone else reading this in future, even if it is of no use to you.

There is also enough material on the Connect Amp being as good any other 55wpc amp, if you look for it. It is at least as good, probably better than what the Bluesound spec states for itself, minus the dubious hi res benefit, for a lower price. There is nothing about pricing that leads to a uniform conclusion that more expensive is always better.

Anyone who researches the Sub would soon discover that the most value for money audio solution is using it with a play 1 pair. I have found that this set up offers sound levels and quality that is on par with many more expensive competitor 2 channel offerings and I haven't found any that are as good with the same feature set at the same price. Trueplay will probably take this a step higher, with no additional costs.

I am not in the least bit upset - I am pointing out pertinent data that may be useful to someone else reading this in future, even if it is of no use to you.

There is also enough material on the Connect Amp being as good any other 55wpc amp, if you look for it. It is at least as good, probably better than what the Bluesound spec states for itself, minus the dubious hi res benefit, for a lower price. There is nothing about pricing that leads to a uniform conclusion that more expensive is always better.

Anyone who researches the Sub would soon discover that the most value for money audio solution is using it with a play 1 pair. I have found that this set up offers sound levels and quality that is on par with many more expensive competitor 2 channel offerings and I haven't found any that are as good with the same feature set at the same price. Trueplay will probably take this a step higher, with no additional costs.

I guess I just didn't find it and I couldn't find any specs on Sonos' stuff so I had to just read articles. Look, if I hadn't have already bought the Powernode and had have had the chance to demo a Connect:Amp and it was sufficient I'd be sitting here with Sonos gear now - which is the gear I initially wanted.

The rep actually told me that the Play 1 wasn't good and I should have to go with Play 3. That said, the Sub with 2 Play 1's was also more expensive than what I ended up with. For me, two floor standing speakers with a Bluesound Powernode at less money than 2 Play 1's with a sub seemed a better deal.

Let's stop here because I don't think we're getting any where.

In the end all I wanted to say was that I wish Sonos had a better stand alone speaker than the Play 5.
In the end all I wanted to say was that I wish Sonos had a better stand alone speaker than the Play 5.
Err... they do. That (and Trueplay) is why this thread was created.
Err... they do. That (and Trueplay) is why this thread was created.

But was it tested by someone listening to their music like a teenager?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I recently had a Play:5 lost or stolen in a move and intended to replace it this week.

As all Sonos units register themselves when they are installed couldn't Sonos give you information on if/where/when your 'lost or stolen' unit becomes active ?