Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
Today we’re excited to announce our newest product, the all new PLAY:5. The original PLAY:5 still sounds great and we’ve upgraded it in almost every way.

The new PLAY:5 has our best sounding player yet. It's got six synchronized, custom-designed drivers, each with its own Class-D amp, and three mid-woofers for mid-range frequencies. There’s also a touch interface for convenient play/pause, volume adjustment, and changing tracks with a swipe. The new PLAY:5 also has six internal antennas, for the best wifi in any orientation. Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/meet-trueplay-and-the-all-new-play5/. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Along with the new PLAY:5, we will be launching an exciting new software development we call Trueplay. This is a speaker tuning software above and beyond basic equalization options which uses the Sonos software on an iOS controller to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound in any room of your home.

Finally, in the next few days, we’ll be introducing HLS streaming for the BBC via an update to our public beta for Sonos version 6.0. We’ll post a separate announcement with information here when the next public beta update is available.

The new PLAY:5 and Trueplay will be available later this year, and you can sign up here to be notified when the PLAY:5 is available for purchase: http://www.sonos.com/new-play-5-smart-speaker

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Badge
Has there been any official comment as to why Trueplay isn't available for Playbar?
Shame this announcement didn't come 5 days ago before I decided to invest in BlueSound. The Play 5 I was testing was terrible for music that required good punch at high volume (Rock, metal) where the bass would just fall away. I had contacted Sonos a month ago to ask if there was any new product coming due to my experience and they couldn't tell me.

I hope they update their entire product line to bring the connect amp etc in line with BlueSound levels of quality. If that happens before I start buying more BlueSound gear I might be persuaded to shift.

Either way, Sonos' app and setup was FAR superior to BlueSound. I'd never experienced anything so painful as the BS setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Soong. Yes Ryan has mentioned that audio correction in home theater environment is a much more complicated animal. He didn't rule out that it would never come.

I hope they update their entire product line to bring the connect amp etc in line with BlueSound levels of quality.

The Connect Amp performs as well as any other audio 2 channel amp of 55wpc, what kind of update are you looking for? And with products such as better play units that will be on the roadmap, I can't see Sonos now making another version of it. One thing that they may perhaps be able to do is allow it to play in bridged mode and be able to be stereo paired with another such that those that must have more power can get a 110wpc solution for speakers that need that kind of power.
Soong. Yes Ryan has mentioned that audio correction in home theater environment is a much more complicated animal. He didn't rule out that it would never come.
Trueplay also is meant to cater to poorly and uniquely placed units whose installed audio performance is affected by that. I would expect most play bars to be placed in a common position under or above a TV set and therefore delivering much more similar sound across the installed base, leaving less for Trueplay to accomplish. Which also is why it may be a second phase thing. Or improvements may be deliverable uniformly via software upgrades the way the play 1 sound was tweaked in version 5.4.

I hope they update their entire product line to bring the connect amp etc in line with BlueSound levels of quality. If that happens before I start buying more BlueSound gear I might be persuaded to shift.

Key things I would like to see in a new Connect Amp are:

Headphone Jack

Ability to configure for summed Mono output

Some additional configurable hard buttons to allow quick access to favorite playlists or stations without opening an app (or a small IR remote with those buttons)

12V trigger in and out for integration with source components and automation controllers

Ability to configure the LED to go dim or off in standby and on bright when active

Local mute that mutes just that player (not all grouped players), shows muted status in controllers, and returns to previous level when unmuted. This does not need to be a dedicated button but the functionality needs to be there.
Existing hardware will not be upgraded to include new components. Software yes, but never hardware. It would need to be a whole new product like the Play:5 (lol).
Existing hardware will not be upgraded to include new components. Software yes, but never hardware. It would need to be a whole new product like the Play:5 (lol).

I guess I read "update their entire product line" to mean a hardware refresh as was done with the Play5.
Userlevel 3
Badge
A 'mono mode' option on the CONNECT:AMP (and the CONNECT as well) would be fantastic, but that's a software feature and not something that needs a new physical model. You would tick a checkbox in the room settings and then their DSP would sum the audio to mono before sending it to the DACs to output the same signal to both the left and right speaker terminals. Unfortunately, in the main feature request thread for 'mono mode' on these forums, people got all kinds of greedy, wanting it to make the left and right each into a separate zone. No. Just no. Keep it to the basic request of a checkbox to sum the outputs to the same mono signal and that'd be extremely useful for folks with bathroom/in-ceiling/whatever speakers and might actually have a chance of happening.
I agree that this is all that is really required for the mono feature and it seems simple enough that it should have been done long ago. I wonder why Sonos is resisting what would seem to be a painless "quick win" for a new feature?
Badge
"The real value, though, lies in Trueplay. How often does a company such as Sonos make a major breakthrough in how its products work and then give that breakthrough away to its customers?"

It's actually pretty crazy not to do that. Think: MacOs, iOS, Tesla, Windows 10, Amazon Fire TV... to name just a few. Even run of the mill consumer electronics like my Blu Ray player have had major enhancements pushed to them.

Giving customers free software upgrades (especially when it's for really expensive hardware they bought from you in the first place) doesn't cost you anything, and also ensures that all your customers are on the same platform. It makes support easier, and it engenders customer loyalty. It's good business any way you look at it.

On the other hand, maxing out the software version on older hardware, or asking them to pay, annoys customers, or makes them feel like they should have waited to buy, or that they are being double-dipped, or that they are orphans. It makes support more difficult, as you have customers using multiple versions of your software. It annoys customers if you try to make them pay for an update that they know new customers get for free just because they waited longer to buy the hardware. Most hardware companies -- e.g. people who make money selling physical things, rather than licensing software -- avoid this as much as possible, and only don't give free updates when actual hardware limitations force them (e.g. the iPad 1 could not update to iOS 7 because of internal memory limits).
Badge
These two new updates, Trueplay and Play5, are all fine and dandy, and I'll probably end up buying the new Play5, but man alive, these weren't the updates I was expecting. I read it in an earlier post in this thread - why no updates that long time users have been begging for? I think it's mostly frustrating for long time users who don't get the feature enhancements we've been wanting and living without, but I do understand Sonos has other priorities because they need to make money.

Shameless begging: pleeeeaaase allow me to create alarms with groups of speakers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
HLS implementation is huge and the most high priority request. This update is major for most of the U.K.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also album cover art back on iPad as a customer request and supposed to be in the update. Not market release worthy customer requests are not mentioned in the press release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Also album cover art back on iPad as a customer request and supposed to be in the update. Not market release worthy customer requests are not mentioned in the press release.

a customer request to put back something they themselves took away for no logical reason 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
True.
Giving customers free software upgrades (especially when it's for really expensive hardware they bought from you in the first place) doesn't cost you anything, and also ensures that all your customers are on the same platform. It makes support easier, and it engenders customer loyalty. It's good business any way you look at it.

"Doesn't cost you anything?" Are you serious? I'm sorry, but that is the single most ignorant statement I have ever seen on this forum. I would posit that software upgrades are the number one cost in man-hours and/or payroll at Sonos or any other similar company. It is most definitely good business, but to say it costs nothing is absurd.
Badge
@jgatie I feel like you are going out of your way to misunderstand me. Of course it costs money to write software. But once you've done that - in the process of developing new features to improve your product offering in general - it doesn't cost you anything extra to give it to your existing customers.

The quote here was about it being unusual to offer free enhancements to existing customers. Not about whether it costs money to develop them in the first place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
On the naming of the new PLAY:5

I know some people wouldn't care, but the symmetry/sequence crushing change would upset just the right people here.

HAA HAA HAA!!!! Good one! 😉
@jgatie I feel like you are going out of your way to misunderstand me. Of course it costs money to write software. But once you've done that - in the process of developing new features to improve your product offering in general - it doesn't cost you anything extra to give it to your existing customers.

The quote here was about it being unusual to offer free enhancements to existing customers. Not about whether it costs money to develop them in the first place.

So after you pay your developers, your systems people, your managers, your QA people, your technical writers, and pay for the infrastructure to house and distribute the update, it costs you nothing? Uhhh, I guess we can agree there. So sorry that I went "out of my way" to think when you said something costs nothing, you meant it actually costs nothing. :rolleyes
Can you pair a new PLAY 5 with an old PLAY 5 to make a stereo pair (or add to the Playbar)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@random_man, the old play 5 doesn't have a 5Ghz antenna, so it can't be used as a surround. The new P5 will work as surrounds if you have a pair. The old P5 and new one sound so different from one another (volume, tone) that a stereo pair would sound completely unbalanced.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you pair a new PLAY 5 with an old PLAY 5 to make a stereo pair (or add to the Playbar)

A stereo pair with the old PLAY:5 and the new PLAY:5 would be extremely unbalanced based on the sound profiles for the units so it will not be possible to set up. The original PLAY:5 didn't have the hardware required to bond as rear speakers with the PLAYBAR, the new one can, but it wouldn't be able to take an old one with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Quote from a tech radar review, on the name subject:
"Interestingly, on the unit I played with the words 'Encore' were stamped across the back, leading me to believe that Sonos may have been thinking of releasing this as an entirely new product range. Given the changes, it would have had every right to."

Indeed they must have had a late change of heart or perhaps 'encore' is the internal name for it to not confuse with the current (old) Play 5.

Random Sonos trivia answer for you: Encore was just the internal name, as suggested. We use project names for everything before they're released. For example, the SUB was called Anvil.
@random_man, the old play 5 doesn't have a 5Ghz antenna, so it can't be used as a surround. The new P5 will work as surrounds if you have a pair. The old P5 and new one sound so different from one another (volume, tone) that a stereo pair would sound completely unbalanced.

Thank you SBSurfer - I guess if I want to make my PLAY 5 into a stereo pair at anytime in the future, I'll have to do it sooner rather than later then!

I was hoping that by using one old and one new PLAY 5 the insides of the new PLAY 5 may of helped the old one along to work as a surround pair