Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
Today we’re excited to announce our newest product, the all new PLAY:5. The original PLAY:5 still sounds great and we’ve upgraded it in almost every way.

The new PLAY:5 has our best sounding player yet. It's got six synchronized, custom-designed drivers, each with its own Class-D amp, and three mid-woofers for mid-range frequencies. There’s also a touch interface for convenient play/pause, volume adjustment, and changing tracks with a swipe. The new PLAY:5 also has six internal antennas, for the best wifi in any orientation. Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/meet-trueplay-and-the-all-new-play5/. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Along with the new PLAY:5, we will be launching an exciting new software development we call Trueplay. This is a speaker tuning software above and beyond basic equalization options which uses the Sonos software on an iOS controller to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound in any room of your home.

Finally, in the next few days, we’ll be introducing HLS streaming for the BBC via an update to our public beta for Sonos version 6.0. We’ll post a separate announcement with information here when the next public beta update is available.

The new PLAY:5 and Trueplay will be available later this year, and you can sign up here to be notified when the PLAY:5 is available for purchase: http://www.sonos.com/new-play-5-smart-speaker

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Badge
Actually the Sonos Rep. Ryan was very respectful of your suggestion.

Indeed he was. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, just surprised that many people (not offical reps of course) would be of the opinion that a customer can be wrong to want a feature or use a service in a certiain way. Customer not always right any more in some places, I guess :)

But I am very impressed with the official response on this thread (and generally). Reading the forums and finding this kind of response was one of the reasons I finally pulled the trigger with SONOS this year instead of one of the many recent upstart competitors in the space. That and the awesome music source integration at the heart of the software, of course.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sorry for being thick what is HLS? And will true play work with play bar?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry for being thick what is HLS? And will true play work with play bar?

HLS is a streaming format for data transfer, most recently it came up with our users because BBC radio converted all of their radio streams to use this format. We haven't had full support for that format, so those new stations wouldn't work on Sonos. We've been working to develop HLS support for this and other reasons, soon we'll be able running a test program for people interested.

No, Trueplay isn't be available on the PLAYBAR. There are a lot of variables in the PLAYBAR setup, and the "sweet spot" is much more complicated for home theater than it is for music listening. We don't have any official plans to announce around Trueplay for home theater, but if there's any news to share we'll be sure to let everyone know.
HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) is a communications protocol. Currently, the BBC HLS streams are incompatible with Sonos, The new HLS implementation will fix this incompatibility, as well as allow HLS streaming from other sources.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thank you both for explaining this to me 🙂
oh my head is already beginning to throb thinking about my squeezebox. I should take it out of the drawer and stomp on it a few more times!!

Heh. I still use an SB Radio in the bathroom vs a Play:1, for the simple reason that it has a nice clock! Haven't had LMS running for years, as the Radio works from a web server somewhere.
Badge
I am slightly annoyed that when I ordered a Play5 just about a week or ten days ago, I was not offered the suggestion that I might want to wait for an upcoming announcement. This is my second Play5. I am perfectly happy with how they sound for where and how I use them, but still it would have been nice to know there was something coming down the pike. Theoretically I could return this second Play5 as I am within the return period, but if I wait and get a New Play5 later this year instead, then it still isn't going to actually match the first Play5 I brought on board a couple of months ago is it? Actually, the Play5 I bought recently is not exactly the same as the one I bought a couple of months ago either, the controls on the top are different.

I am old. I've been to several hundred live concerts, most of them Grateful Dead, and most without ear protection. While there is a chance I could hear the improvements in the upcoming release, there is just a good a chance that I could not. I really bought these devices to provide my elderly parents a way to easily listen to music when they want and where they want in the house, including two different sources in different rooms.

As mentioned, I can borrow an Iphone from a friend to do the True Play set up on the existing models. And if there comes a day when I have a need for big speakers again, I do still own a pair of Polk Monitor 70's that I can set back up. Though as comfortable as I am now with the Sonos devices in the house, I sincerely doubt I will ever bother with them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am slightly annoyed that when I ordered a Play5 just about a week or ten days ago, I was not offered the suggestion that I might want to wait for an upcoming announcement. This is my second Play5. I am perfectly happy with how they sound for where and how I use them, but still it would have been nice to know there was something coming down the pike. Theoretically I could return this second Play5 as I am within the return period, but if I wait and get a New Play5 later this year instead, then it still isn't going to actually match the first Play5 I brought on board a couple of months ago is it? Actually, the Play5 I bought recently is not exactly the same as the one I bought a couple of months ago either, the controls on the top are different.

We rarely talk about future products, so until it's been officially announced, as we just did, no one can talk about what's coming. As you said, if you wanted to you could return the one you just got and wait for the new one.

There are a lot of differences between these two units, the sound is absolutely noticeable. But, you also can't bond an old one and a new one together as a stereo pair. So if that's something you're looking to do, you can stick with what you've got. We'll be providing support and updates for the original PLAY:5 long into the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Helpknot - I guess it is the way as with everything ... always something new coming out.

Advantage of keeping the old version is if you want setup a very strong stereo system you can stereo pair both of your Play:5's. If you get the new ones you can't stereo pair them.

I'm sure the new one will sound better. It will be $50 more. It will no have the headphone output. It will have the internal microphones for whatever future plans Sonos has for them. You still get Trueplay. It won't stereo pair with your current play:5 (of course it will still group) and we assume won't be available for a month or so.

I guess you have to weight those points for yourself.

I assume when you say the top buttons are different. Sounds like the one you picked up a few months ago must have been old stock and has a mute button imprint instead of the new play/pause imprint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh - couple other differences - the new one can be placed on its side instead of horizontal position and will pair with Playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok yea what Ryan said - he is always beating me to answering!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Question : old play5 , 2 tweeters, 2 mid-range, ! woofer. New play 5, 3 tweeters , 3 mid range . Is 6 better than 5 ? maybe, but what about the bass levels ( old play5 main strength point ) without the woofer ? Italian price for play 5 was formerly 399 euros, went to 459 because of currencies, now it will go to 579 ... big change , did they copy form Bose whose top of the range 30 is priced 600 ??.

On the other hand, congratulations to Sonos for true play being back compatible with the vast majority of the products we already own !!!
Question : old play5 , 2 tweeters, 2 mid-range, ! woofer. New play 5, 3 tweeters , 3 mid range . Is 6 better than 5 ? maybe, but what about the bass levels ( old play5 main strength point ) without the woofer ?

According to What Hi-Fi's hands on the bass levels are significantly better than the old Play:5, I think they even said they couldn't imagine what the sub would add to it, although I don't think they actually tested that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Question : old play5 , 2 tweeters, 2 mid-range, ! woofer. New play 5, 3 tweeters , 3 mid range . Is 6 better than 5 ? maybe, but what about the bass levels ( old play5 main strength point ) without the woofer ?

The three mid-woofers also provide a deep, rich bass beyond what the original PLAY:5 could offer. Naturally, it's going to come done to test it yourself and let us know what you think. But all of the reviews so far have been great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Guess it was my turn to get beaten this time Chris. LHC got to it before I could :)

Oh well. Great discussion everyone. Let us know if you have any questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
His was a better answer too 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
His was a better answer too :)

Ouch, that hurts man. I'm going to need to find some burn cream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You must have written yours while you were going to get some free coffee.

Can we use Android for Trueplay?
The answer for this was already pretty clearly posted, but just to reiterate it, no. We're hoping to be able to use Android devices to setup Trueplay in the future, but ran into issues with the inconsistencies of hardware. The team is still looking into ways to adjust for this though. It's not just the sheer amount of Android devices out there, you can purchase five of the same phone and wind up with five different microphones sometimes. Once you've used an iOS device to setup Trueplay on your system you won't need the iOS device anymore, so you can always borrow one from a friend or family member.

What if instead of supporting all android devices, only supports Nexus devices or flagships like Samsung Galaxy, Sony Xperia, LG G, etc?

It could be a good compromise for all the people who have android and isnt willing to lose functionality.

Best regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Can we use Android for Trueplay?
The answer for this was already pretty clearly posted, but just to reiterate it, no. We're hoping to be able to use Android devices to setup Trueplay in the future, but ran into issues with the inconsistencies of hardware. The team is still looking into ways to adjust for this though. It's not just the sheer amount of Android devices out there, you can purchase five of the same phone and wind up with five different microphones sometimes. Once you've used an iOS device to setup Trueplay on your system you won't need the iOS device anymore, so you can always borrow one from a friend or family member.

What if instead of supporting all android devices, only supports Nexus devices or flagships like Samsung Galaxy, Sony Xperia, LG G, etc?

It could be a good compromise for all the people who have android and isnt willing to lose functionality.

Best regards

Good question, I know the team's looked into it but we don't have anything official to share at this time. We'll certainly see what can be done in the future. If I'm not mistaken, I believe some of those flagship phones you named were tested and even among them, different microphones were found across the same model. We'll be letting everyone know if there's news or a change. Until then, Android only homes will have to borrow an iOS device to setup Trueplay.

Does the SUB work with Trueplay?
Absolutely. The SUB isn't listed in the units for Trueplay simply because you can't run Trueplay on the SUB without it bonded with a PLAY:1, PLAY:3 or PLAY:5. On that page, you when the SUB has been added to a speaker or pair of speakers, Trueplay ensures the connected SUB is tuned correctly with the speaker(s) for the exact space it's in. Adjusting your SUB level will do away with Trueplay tuning. However, you can still adjust the level of bass to your personal preference in EQ settings.

Good to hear that, I look forward to seeing how this works once the app upgrade is released. I assume that Trueplay does more than just set the output levels on the Sub, that it smooths out the room response based frequency responses to reduce bass peaks and lows. Does this mean that setting up a Sub with play units will be a two step process, with the first step as exists just now including selecting the Sub output, and the second step the Trueplay tuning that will also adjust the Sub output level for best results? Will Trueplay also select the Sub phase such that it won't matter what is selected between A or B in the first step?

I agree with a comment here that the new play 5 ought to have received its own name if it is not just a tweaked play 5, but as radical an improvement as it seems to be. If nothing that exists in the old play 5 was used as claimed by the designers, why not invent a new name as well? The play 5 name could be just retired.
Kumar, just get on the private beta, you can play with True play now. It's worth the hassle!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Kumar, just get on the private beta, you can play with True play now. It's worth the hassle!

Private beta means you can't "just join it". Those are invite only and I believe they aren't adding new people at the moment.
Those are invite only and I believe they aren't adding new people at the moment.
That's fine with me, I can wait! I did the beta thing with 5.4 and was so tired of the frequent need to upgrade by the end of it that I decided it would be my first and last venture in that direction.
We use this place to complain a lot about Sonos - which is how it should be - but it sometimes takes an outsider to say this:
"The real value, though, lies in Trueplay. How often does a company such as Sonos make a major breakthrough in how its products work and then give that breakthrough away to its customers?"

Quote from a review on bloomberg.com