Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
Today we’re excited to announce our newest product, the all new PLAY:5. The original PLAY:5 still sounds great and we’ve upgraded it in almost every way.

The new PLAY:5 has our best sounding player yet. It's got six synchronized, custom-designed drivers, each with its own Class-D amp, and three mid-woofers for mid-range frequencies. There’s also a touch interface for convenient play/pause, volume adjustment, and changing tracks with a swipe. The new PLAY:5 also has six internal antennas, for the best wifi in any orientation. Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/meet-trueplay-and-the-all-new-play5/. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Along with the new PLAY:5, we will be launching an exciting new software development we call Trueplay. This is a speaker tuning software above and beyond basic equalization options which uses the Sonos software on an iOS controller to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound in any room of your home.

Finally, in the next few days, we’ll be introducing HLS streaming for the BBC via an update to our public beta for Sonos version 6.0. We’ll post a separate announcement with information here when the next public beta update is available.

The new PLAY:5 and Trueplay will be available later this year, and you can sign up here to be notified when the PLAY:5 is available for purchase: http://www.sonos.com/new-play-5-smart-speaker

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Really looking forward to Trueplay as well.

Trueplay really changes my opinion of them in that they really can fill a medium sized room with good, undistorted music.
Good to hear, I look forward to the app upgrade. What happens if the play 1 pair is bonded to a Sub - does Trueplay offer a different outcome than what it would for a play 1 pair in the same location?

I have a Play 5 paired with the sub so would hope that calibration is still possible without removing what it may see as too much bass.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
hmmm.... good question.... does paired sub override Trueplay.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So at the end, it may be better to buy a pair of Play:1s calibrated with Trueplay than the Play:5.
I guess the ideal would be a pair of new generation Play:5s but it's not the same budget of course...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok... I guess we aren't going to get in trouble for answering these type questions since the announcement....

I checked and actually the first thing it asks you after pairing the sub with a play:1 is to ask if you want to re-perform Trueplay tuning. It still makes a difference in sound. It is not as dramatic a difference as with the stand alone Play:1 (since the sub is already so room filling)....but it does still open up the soundstage on the Play:1 itself and to my ears makes a noticeable improvement.
So the Sonos development team have got time and resources to create this Trueplay thing which I don't need nor want because I have no problems with the balance between my two Play5s, but basic stuff like importing and exporting playlists, searching playlist to weed out doubles etc is still nowhere to be seen?
I hope the new Play5 did get a headphone jack, however my Sonos experience over the last couple of years tells me they went for the missed opportunity yet again. Really hope I've got it wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't knock Trueplay until you try it (my initial thought when I saw it was "gimmicky" until I tried it). Of course in a lot of ways it is making up for the lack of true equalizer available on each speaker. With trueplay, bass, treble, loudness controls still ... I don't find the equalizer need.

Marketing..Sales..we all know those guys always get first crack at the programmers.

It would be nice to see some wishlist items checked off though. Of course the HLS is a big check off for millions of UK residence. It can see that being a far bigger priority over weeding out playlist duplicate tracks.
Headphone socket has been removed from the rear, can't see it anywhere.

On the rear its line line, mains in, pairing button and ethernet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In regards to the Play:1 pair vs. new Play:5.

I currently hold the existing Play:5 above a pair of Play:1s due to the real lack of bass with Play:1 (although placing Play:1's in corner or close to wall helps a bit).

I have a feeling this new Play:5 is going to be outstanding. There have been a good number of reviews praising the HEOS 7 over the current Play:5. Of course not a fair fight as the HEOS 7 is much more expensive and had more speakers. I think this was designed to be a HEOS 7 killer ... so I'm excited to hear it (and for still $100 less then the HEOS). *note yes I realize the HEOS has some additional inputs but I have no interest in those I just want some serious audio quality*

I checked and actually the first thing it asks you after pairing the sub with a play:1 is to ask if you want to re-perform Trueplay tuning. It still makes a difference in sound. It is not as dramatic a difference as with the stand alone Play:1 (since the sub is already so room filling)....but it does still open up the soundstage on the Play:1 itself and to my ears makes a noticeable improvement.

Understood thanks. The fact that it asks the question logically means that there will be a different outcome via Trueplay for a Sub anchored play unit. The difference will depend on a lot of things related to positioning I imagine. And unlike the play 1 sonic improvement via 5.4, there is the ability to do instant A/B comparisons by defeating the Trueplay tuning, so it should be a lot easier to identify the change in the sound.
From all I read, the new play 5 - even without Trueplay tuning - holds out the promise of a simple small footprint but high quality sound system for music at home by using a 5 pair with no need for the Sub.
It would be interesting to see how this stacks up against the play 1 pair+ Sub.
A bit of info here...

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/28/sonos-new-play5-hifi-wireless-speaker-trueplay-tuning/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes Kumar - I think a Single Play:5 would have a hard time beating out a pair of Play:1's with Sub. I guess we will see how close ...if even comparable it would make the new Play:5 very much a bargain.

Yes you can flip trueplay on/off toggle as an A/B test. In A/B test with Play:1 and Sub I noticed the Play:1 image brightening and expanding some while I didn't notice a lot of change from the sub prospective.
A bit of info here...

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/28/sonos-new-play5-hifi-wireless-speaker-trueplay-tuning/

"Behind that grill you’ll find three tweets and three woofers plus two mics (which aren’t being used yet but future proof the current hardware)."

Hmmmm, interesting. Amazon Echo, watch out. 🙂
Following up on the Sub subject, the full benefit of Trueplay in a Sub anchored music set up will be available only if the Sub sound is also tweaked such that where the Sub is placed matters a lot less than it does today. Hopefully the Sub will be added to the play units in the list of units that have the Trueplay feature.
I think a Single Play:5 would have a hard time beating out a pair of Play:1's with Sub.
I can't see even the new 5 coming close to doing that. But a new 5 pair - for about the same price as a 1 pair + Sub - may well be able to do so.
Userlevel 2
Badge
On my paired Play:1s Trueplay made a significant improvement to the overall sound. I was however less impressed with my Play:3s, which aren't paired, though there was an improvement, with them sounding less muddied for want of a better way of putting it. Just not as impressive as on the Play:1s.
Which means Sonos has lost me as a customer. Do I want to expand into more rooms? Perhaps. So OK, let's see what they've got. For me that would be either two Play3s or two Play5s. What? Nout on the Play3 to plug a CD player in for instance and yes a line in on the 5 but no headphone connector? Unbelievable and sorry, but NO sale, ever.
BTW I won't expand my Playbar either cuz I still feel slightly cheated on that one and don't want to go the optical switch route. On its own it does improve the flat telly's sound though.
Combine the above with Sonos' complete lack of user support like the already mentioned playlist improvements and the still lousy shuffle function on which complaints and requests go back years and years and one can understand that I'm far from a happy Sonos customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Kumar - good find on the article - the interesting part is the 2 microphones (that opens up some cool stuff like even whole home intercom or voice command as it would always be listening.....Sonos play xxxxx")

Kumar - when the sub is paired with a Play speaker the Sub plays the test sound as well so it incorporates the sub and play into it analysis of the rooms sound. Repositioning the sub or Play would mean you need to re-tune.

Lostlogik - I agree as the speaker gets larger (and thus already had a larger soundstage) the trueplay difference becomes less obvious. It is night and day with a single Play:1, a good tweak to the Play:3, and for the Play:5 I would just call it noticeable. Of course it is going to be song dependant. While noticeable on the current Play:5 on some songs it may make a more impactful difference. I wouldn't run any of the Play's without Trueplay - that is certain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I thought the shuffle function was fixed? I guess for another thread though! Seems to work fine for me and much improved.
All this carrying on about a missing headphone jack? Why should a speaker need a headphone jack? Every phone, tablet and mp3 player in existence has one, why not simply use that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess because it was the only Play to have one and did give people an option short of having a connect if they wanted to hook up some wireless headphones or such to listen to Sonos music. Now if you want to use some wireless headphones with Sonos a Connect is the only available option.

Kumar - when the sub is paired with a Play speaker the Sub plays the test sound as well so it incorporates the sub and play into it analysis of the rooms sound. Repositioning the sub or Play would mean you need to re-tune.

If so, Sonos ought to be adding the Sub to the list they have currently published that offers Trueplay - the play units are all that is on that list.

But a true room DSP outcome on any Sub does more than just change the output levels, it changes the frequency response graph to have that look as smooth as possible, eliminating peaks and valleys in the lower frequencies heard at the listening position. If Sonos has been do all of that in a bonded Sub via Trueplay, it is a remarkable achievement. The result may well not be to the liking of many people because the room response tweaked Sub usually has lower levels of bass than what people are accustomed to even when it is more accurate. The immediate response tends to be - where has the bass gone??

Hopefully the controller upgrade that can allow for all this to be checked out is not far away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm going to go back upstairs to my room with Sub and I'll do A/B test specifically listening to sub and tell you if I notice any difference. I paired with my Play:1 when asked earlier but I didn't focus on the sound of Sub just the Play:1. Will report back. I don't believe you have long to wait. I have been saying I thought they would have the new firmware out by CEDIA (which is 2 weeks away so I would think that is your max wait still if that long...as they have announced hardware ahead of time). Although big problem with Trueplay is if newest released to beta ---- well there is still no public Apple beta so that is no trueplay tuning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok this is not scientific at all just a few minutes of A/B testing.

So the sub has an obvious crossover point set (I assume that doesn't change with tuning). So it sounded to me like the trueplay tuning adjusted the frequency curve of the song and to my ears the subs higher range frequencies were boosted a bit with no change to the lowest frequencies. The result was a little more mid-range sound coming out of the sub without any reduction in lows. Therefore the sub was every so slightly louder after trueplay. The Play:1 has noticeably more high-range with mid-probably being similar to untuned.
I guess because it was the only Play to have one and did give people an option short of having a connect if they wanted to hook up some wireless headphones or such to listen to Sonos music. Now if you want to use some wireless headphones with Sonos a Connect is the only available option.

Exactly. If the Connect and/or Connect:Amp had a headphone jack it would not be any big deal but the Play5 was the only option for wired headphones. Now if you want to use wired headphones (much better quality than any available wireless model) then you have to use a Connect with a headphone amp or a receiver.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Now that we can talk about it, I won't get into specifics of how, but I got to listen to a stereo pair of the new Play5s. Amazing. HUGE sonic upgrade. I kept trying to find where they hid the SUB, because the bass response was so deep and full. Songs which you've heard a million times before - on the P5s it's like hearing the song again for the first time. This new component is a big deal, make no mistake about it. My only question is why they named it the Play5 again because it is such a different beast than the original.

http://i0.wp.com/media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/1b/ed/81/the-old-vs-the-new.jpg