Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
From everything I heard the microphones on android vary way to much between models and within models. For android to be implemented they will need a way to calibrate each microphone individually which I don't think is in the horizon anytime soon. Best borrow an iPhone as your wait may be very long.
[Buy a cheap IPhone (Best check which OS you need) and Install the Sonos app. Or, get a friend who has an IPhone or Ipad to pop round.

I bought an iPod Touch to control my Sonos, which Sonos now no longer support - so I'm hardly likely to buy any more Apple kit...
AFAIA, none of my friends own Apple kit - not if they've listened to me, any way :8

Never mind - I was just hoping that there'd be an easy way of improving the sound from my Play5...
From everything I heard the microphones on android vary way to much between models and within models. For android to be implemented they will need a way to calibrate each microphone individually which I don't think is in the horizon anytime soon. Best borrow an iPhone as your wait may be very long.

Surely most devices will accept a cheap plug in headphone/mic... isn't what they do with wired earpiece/mic combinations for phones? So Sonos could easily supply a cheap mic that would plug into any device - doesn't really matter about the quality, as long as their software sees it as a known profile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Amun - yes that should work.

Those who have pulled apart the new Play:5 say that there are 2 microphones in the new play:5. Curiousity is can new speakers at some point just calibrate themselves. That seems like where Sonos may go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In my testing I found the Play:5 in a larger room to be somewhat better with trueplay but nothing major. The Play:1 it is night and day. Play:3 pretty noticeable.
Having standardised on 1 units where play units are concerned, this is good news that I hope to listen to later today.

I am not sure that software that reduces differences in sound quality between the lowest priced player and those above it was a design objective though!

Maybe the new 5 units will increase the gap again when the built in mikes are put to use in future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Trueplay software release, version 6.0 is now available. See more details on the release here.

Once you've setup Trueplay and done some testing we'd love to hear what you think here.
The second link is broken, Ryan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The second link is broken, Ryan.

Thanks, it should be fixed now.
i am considering buying the new Play5. Can you actually remove the little bumper to support the speakers vertically? i hope so, as they completely ruin the design.
I don't think they ruin the design at all... they are small enough to not even be noticed. But, poking at mine, they appear to be rubber and can be pulled out, but that will leave little holes I'm sure you won't be happy with either.
thank you for the quick answer!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Cool.
Badge
So Trueplay does not support the Playbar (yet), will it however let me tweak the Play:3 pairs that are part of my surround setup excluding the Playbar and Sub?
Cannot see any mention of the headphone socket - has it gone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series. Where is the innovation in this device compared to the old one ? swipe controls - meh ! Lets hope it sounds amazing because it sure doesnt do anything new.
Badge

I think you can see a line-in on the back of the rotating product render. I would be surprised if this would be removed.

I think you can see a line-in on the back of the rotating product render. I would be surprised if this would be removed.

Can see the network, line-in and pairing button but not the headphone socket 😞
Looking at the new Bluesound Pulse mini for the same price, offers Bluetooth, optical input as well as a headphone socket whilst ofering support for hires music files.

I love my Sonos but over the years my muisc habits, requirement and needs of equipment have change as my family has grown. Some long time members will know I have tried many different platforms but stayed with Sonos but I really do think it time to rethink.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series.

Well, I think iit's very good news that Trueplay does not apply only to new products!
Although I don't have any iDevice, I appreciate that Sonos develops FREE software that makes my old products better!
By the way, Trueplay doesn't seem to apply to CONNECT / CONNECT:AMP? I didn't see anything explicit about this.

Cheers,
Crilo
Badge +3
I hope it comes to Playbar soon. I'd have thought that would be the most important device to have it. That and the Play 1 rears.
I wonder if trueplay could be made to allow a 5.1 system to be put together without requiring a playbar?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Any reason trueplay does not (yet?) support the Playbar?
Trueplay doesn't seem to apply to CONNECT / CONNECT:AMP? I didn't see anything explicit about this.

It doesn't - Sonos needs to be in control of all elements including the speaker units for it to work, so only play units will allow Trueplay tuning to work. What surprises me is that it won't have any effect on the Sub.
Badge +1
To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series. Where is the innovation in this device compared to the old one ? swipe controls - meh ! Lets hope it sounds amazing because it sure doesnt do anything new.

Having read reviews the new Play 5 is not just a facelift of the current Play 5, but is completely different inside and out. Really the changes are that different that it could have been given a completely different name. Have a look on the web and the detailed changes will be apparent.