Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Did we not determine that your play:5 was faulty? Nobody else has ever demonstrated the same sort of behaviour, so you may have been unlucky. Either that or you're trying to play something with idiotic bass in it like the kids play in their cars with banks of subs in the boot and expecting a small standalone speaker to perform in the same way, which is unrealistic at best.

No, we didn't determine it. I'll have to do some more testing with the Play 3's when I get the chance to see if they exhibit the issue too.

For the person who was wanting some songs to test, pretty much anything System of a Down exhibited the problem - Toxicity being a very obvious one. A bunch of Tool's harder songs did too.

Remember the bass was there up until about 70/75% volume. But even then I found music like Metallica and some of Tool's harder stuff seemed to really make the speakers "struggle" for want of a better word. Both my wife and I were feeling like it was assaulting our ears and not in a good way.

Anyway, I think we're going around in circles here because as I said, I have purchased a different system now. I'll keep an eye out on Sonos to see if they revamp the other units in the future.
I looked up Bluesound - at more than twice the power delivery into a 4 ohm load, the Connect Amp is better than as good. The only thing that the Bluesound may do that Connect Amp doesn't is hi res music. Since I can't hear any difference between 16/44 and hi res, that is a worthless feature to me. YMMV.

I don't want to continue the argument about the connect amp because as I said I never got to try one into some standalone speakers. It was basically my experience with the standalone units that made me end up crossing Sonos off my list of possibilities. Which was a shame. If the rep tells me that the lack of bass is just to be expected and I'd need a sub, I'll take him at his word.

I am not in the least bit upset - I am pointing out pertinent data that may be useful to someone else reading this in future, even if it is of no use to you.

There is also enough material on the Connect Amp being as good any other 55wpc amp, if you look for it. It is at least as good, probably better than what the Bluesound spec states for itself, minus the dubious hi res benefit, for a lower price. There is nothing about pricing that leads to a uniform conclusion that more expensive is always better.

Anyone who researches the Sub would soon discover that the most value for money audio solution is using it with a play 1 pair. I have found that this set up offers sound levels and quality that is on par with many more expensive competitor 2 channel offerings and I haven't found any that are as good with the same feature set at the same price. Trueplay will probably take this a step higher, with no additional costs.

I guess I just didn't find it and I couldn't find any specs on Sonos' stuff so I had to just read articles. Look, if I hadn't have already bought the Powernode and had have had the chance to demo a Connect:Amp and it was sufficient I'd be sitting here with Sonos gear now - which is the gear I initially wanted.

The rep actually told me that the Play 1 wasn't good and I should have to go with Play 3. That said, the Sub with 2 Play 1's was also more expensive than what I ended up with. For me, two floor standing speakers with a Bluesound Powernode at less money than 2 Play 1's with a sub seemed a better deal.

Let's stop here because I don't think we're getting any where.

In the end all I wanted to say was that I wish Sonos had a better stand alone speaker than the Play 5.
In the end all I wanted to say was that I wish Sonos had a better stand alone speaker than the Play 5.
Err... they do. That (and Trueplay) is why this thread was created.

But was it tested by someone listening to their music like a teenager?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I recently had a Play:5 lost or stolen in a move and intended to replace it this week.

As all Sonos units register themselves when they are installed couldn't Sonos give you information on if/where/when your 'lost or stolen' unit becomes active ?

Once you get to listen to a Trueplay tuned play 5 pair, I look forward to see how it stacks up in your opinion against your Connect + AVI actives set up, for both sound levels and quality.
Erm...I mean new play 5s...
PS: without a Sub
"PLAY:5" will have taken countless management hours to decide upon, and will thus be set in stone. We'll need to resort to some kind of shorthand here, such as "PLAY:5/2".
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Well the old PLAY:5 is discontinued so I can't see it confusing people when they walk into a store and see the new PLAY:5 on the shelve and see it's called PLAY:5. That'll be the only option, so the only product with that name that a new customer would be open to buying. I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well the old PLAY:5 is discontinued so I can't see it confusing people when they walk into a store and see the new PLAY:5 on the shelve and see it's called PLAY:5. That'll be the only option, so the only product with that name that a new customer would be open to buying. I think.

buying it will be no issue. However, supporting it will be e.g.
Customer: "Hello, is that Sonos support ?"
Sonos: "Yes, how may I help you ?"
Customer: "I have a problem with my Play 5"
Sonos "What type of Play 5 is it ?"
Customer: "I dont know - its kind of rectangular with some speakers in it but it wont connect - does that help?"
Sonos: "when did you buy it ?"
customer: "some time in 2015 I guess"
Sonos: "ok - you better give me the serial number..."

and discussing it in this forum as we've seen across a few different threads already.

Or... 'oh look. Sonos. But meh... thats the Play:5. Didnt care for it years ago, so never mind. Thought they'd have something new out to reconsider by now.'
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
May be marketing going. Hey this will blow denon heos 5 out of the water. If we call it a 6 with no comparable will people think hey it's not as good as denon 7. Already see it in reviews where 5 is compared to denon 7 when price point of denon 5. Now with price point in between but actually hopefully beats out 7 anyhow.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I also agree it should have been called the Sonos 6 but no biggie. I really like what I am reading about this new Play 5 and will almost certainly replace my present Play 5 with one. Currently I have my Play 5 in a rather large kitchen/family room on the shelf of a unit so only one-half inch clearance on the side, one inch above and 6 inches behind.it. With the bass port it produces an effect that is too muddy than I like most of the time and is not loud enough at times (but not too often). The new Play5 which is not rear ported, is more powerful should suit my room far better. The TrueSound an additional bonus.

So what to do with my current Play5? One thing I am considering is using it as a speaker for my TV. Has anyone tried that? I would have to input my TV via the Play5 input jack and am wondering if it is auto sensing (like the new Play5 is). I guess what I am really wondering is if I have my TV input into the Play5 and decide I want to stream music will the Play5 automatically overide the input jack, or would I always have to disconnect and reconnect?
Badge
I

So what to do with my current Play5? One thing I am considering is using it as a speaker for my TV. Has anyone tried that? I would have to input my TV via the Play5 input jack and am wondering if it is auto sensing (like the new Play5 is). I guess what I am really wondering is if I have my TV input into the Play5 and decide I want to stream music will the Play5 automatically overide the input jack, or would I always have to disconnect and reconnect?

I use my vintage Play5 as a speaker for a TV. The line in/streaming source can be selected via the controller software as needed, or it can be set to auto-play for use away from the home network. But as I learned recently, don't forget to set that puppy to auto-play before leaving the home network, because once you get to the hotel room, you aren't going to be able to use the controller app to change the setting.

We've been thinking about that on the support side of things a bit and I think be best followup question would be something

In time, there can be workarounds for any situation, but I still haven't heard from anyone here the answer to my question:
We know the downsides of not changing the name, and agree there must be upsides because Sonos isn't irrational. That said, what are the three top upsides?
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
For the person who was wanting some songs to test, pretty much anything System of a Down exhibited the problem - Toxicity being a very obvious one. A bunch of Tool's harder songs did too
That was me. I look forward to trying it out over the weekend, though I'll have to wait until my wife's gone out 🙂 I don't doubt what you heard (or knock your decision to go elsewhere), but it will hopefully be an interesting exercise (for the Play:5 drivers, that's for sure!). Might try it on my Play:1 pair with Sub too, for comparison.
Badge
I'm considering hanging a stereo pair of new PLAY:5s on the wall of my new kitchen. From the pics there appear to be no mounting lugs so the only way to do this is sticking up some ugly shelves. Is this right?
I'm considering hanging a stereo pair of new PLAY:5s on the wall of my new kitchen. From the pics there appear to be no mounting lugs so the only way to do this is sticking up some ugly shelves. Is this right? Also be sure to take note that the new Play 5 is deeper than the old one so a shelf or mantel that worked for the old one may not work for the new one.
Neither the old nor the new Play:5s have mounts. IMO the new Play:5 will be much easier to mount, especially in vertical orientation, than the old Play:5.

It might even fit onto some traditional speaker stands.

Cheers,

Keith
The "where has the bass gone" reaction is common after room response DSP is implemented
I've also read that it's the result of DSP engineers aiming for a flat response by basically inverting the room characteristic, whereas humans prefer to warm things up a little.
The "where has the bass gone" reaction is common after room response DSP is implemented
I've also read that it's the result of DSP engineers aiming for a flat response by basically inverting the room characteristic, whereas humans prefer to warm things up a little.

A typical room DSP strategy for the listening position sound is to aim for smooth more than flat, it is the peaks and valleys that cause the biggest deterioration/aggravation. A usual objective for the listening position tuning is to have a smooth response with some plus in dB of low frequencies, dropping slowly and smoothly as it moves to the higher end of the frequency scale - to the right in a typical graph. How much that plus should be gets to be a matter of time/tastes, but doing an overall lift addresses this issue provided smoothness has been achieved. The latter is the important factor that the usual tone control/eq cannot deliver on its own.
Flat and smooth at listening position is almost always disliked for the missing warmth you refer to.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I would really like to have TruePlay with my 6 room Sonos set-up, which has cost a lot of money, but as I don't have any Apple devices it appears that I am now considered to be a second-class citizen by Sonos.

The suggestion that one should borrow an iOS device to setup Trueplay. is unacceptable, even if this were easy. Maybe the National dealer from whom I have purchased all my Sonos kit will have a loan solution?

At least we will have support for BBC Radio HLS streams shortly
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
There is a legitimate and significant reason that Sonos cannot offer TruePlay with Android devices: there are literally thousands of devices with thousands of different microphone specifications. It would be virtually impossible for them to provide a solution that works across the variety of phones/microphones. Apple does not have such fragmentation. It has nothing to do with them treating anyone as a "second-class citizen".

On a related note, the TruePlay setup is not something that is done often, so borrowing a friend or relative's phone should not really be that much an inconvenience for many people.
Once again, not having a dedicated Sonos Built controller puts them at the mercy of third party device manufacturers. There is nothing preventing Apple from changing the source of their microphones at any time creating the same issue currently seen with Androids.
I don't believe a phone or tablet will ever will ever make a satisfactory universal remote and you will never achieve stability that way. The Neeo remote might accomplish that goal and if they add a microphone to the next generation of Neeo maybe that will provide the stable platform that Sonos needs for Trueplay.