Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great discussion everyone, I just wanted to answer a few of the main questions so far.

Does the SUB work with Trueplay?
Absolutely. The SUB isn't listed in the units for Trueplay simply because you can't run Trueplay on the SUB without it bonded with a PLAY:1, PLAY:3 or PLAY:5. On that page, you when the SUB has been added to a speaker or pair of speakers, Trueplay ensures the connected SUB is tuned correctly with the speaker(s) for the exact space it's in. Adjusting your SUB level will allow you to further adjust your bass on top of the already modified Trueplay tuning.

Does the new PLAY:5 have a headphone port?
No. We minimized the ports and connections on the new PLAY:5 to emphasize the sleek design and make sure we had room for everything that needed to fit. If the headphone port is an important feature to you, there are still some of the original PLAY:5 out there in the wild you can look to pick up, but believe me, the new one sounds amazing.

Can we use Android for Trueplay?
The answer for this was already pretty clearly posted, but just to reiterate it, no. We're hoping to be able to use Android devices to setup Trueplay in the future, but ran into issues with the inconsistencies of hardware. The team is still looking into ways to adjust for this though. It's not just the sheer amount of Android devices out there, you can purchase five of the same phone and wind up with five different microphones sometimes. Once you've used an iOS device to setup Trueplay on your system you won't need the iOS device anymore, so you can always borrow one from a friend or family member.

@SBSurfer that was my first impression too. The new PLAY:5 has been in development for about 3 years, and we've learned a lot about making the best speaker we can in that time.

I'm happy to answer other questions too, just let me know.
Badge
All this carrying on about a missing headphone jack? Why should a speaker need a headphone jack? Every phone, tablet and mp3 player in existence has one, why not simply use that?

If there was a soft client for Sonos that let you actually play through your phone, tablet, or mp3 player, you'd be on to something...

But there isn't.

It would be great if Sonos had the ability to act as a standalone server so I could do this, and (more importantly) expose it to the internet so I can play music from my home Sonos system through my phone outside the house. But I suspect this interferes with the business model of selling hardware 🙂 so I use a gaggle of independent clients (subsonic, spotify, google play, etc) to accomplish this when not on my network.

The unicorn would be the greatness of Sonos' fronting all my music serivices, but accessible everywhere...
Badge +1
Should've called the Play:1 the Play:2 and this one the Play:6 for the number of speakers. This looks like a good replacement for the Play 5 but I just hope it really is future proofed. It kind of sucked buying Gen 1 Play 5s thinking about how old and behind they were in comparison to their newer family members. The sound was always good but hopefully this new one sounds as good as people are saying... I always feel that Sonos doesn't sound as good as it's price tag with insist.... But I bought in for the features to be honest.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I know what you mean, jamietre. I bought a sandwich the other day and they forgot to include a pickle on the side. Ruined my day. It would have preferred that they had just given me the pickle and had forgotten the sandwich. Then one day my sandwich came with the pickle. But this time, the toothpick holding my sandwich together didn't include a miniature flag on the top of it. Enough is enough. I'm never going back to that sandwich shop.
I just plug the Sennheisers into the phone, and stream from the same provider I use on Sonos. No problem at all.
Badge
@sbsurfer, I'm not sure what your point is. I should take what I am given and never ask for anything else? I should always assume that the features provided by someone are the best for me, and if I want something else, then I'm whiny and/or wrong?

If that's true then what's the point of these forums? I'm a SONOS customer, obviously, because it represented the best overall value to me in terms of features and cost. That doesn't mean it's perfect. Companies ignore their customers feedback at their own peril.

@chicks - yes, that is exactly what I said. But hey, you could just not buy a SONOS in the first place and do that with a much cheaper competitor if you didn't find any value in the SONOS all-in-one UI. That's the point. SONOS isn't just a speaker. There are lots of wireeless networked speakers, and most cost a lot less than SONOS. If it was no big deal to me to just use whatever client in a non-integrated fashion, I wouldn't own SONOS. What sets SONOS apart from its competitors is exactly this: being able to work from a single front-end against all my music sources.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think @sbsurfer meant he likes pickles and tiny flags.

or don't lose focus on what a product is supposed to do and why you bought it.
Badge
or don't lose focus on what a product is supposed to do and why you bought it.

I think there's a space between discussing things that could make a great product even better, and losing focus on why you bought it.

I bought SONOS to create the best overall experience for listening to music. SONOS is a great experience in my house. Once I leave, I no longer have that experience. I work around this as @chicks says, but it's a pain. I run a subsonic server so I can access my home media library remotely. On my phone is google play, subsonic, amazon music, spotify, probably more I'm forgetting. I have no ability to use playlists created with SONOS remotely. I have no ability to search across music sources.

This is 2015, I could do this with Squeezebox ten years ago. Obviously, this is not a technological problem, it's a business decision. That's fine, and I understand that, but it seems odd to me that discussion of a feature with obvious value, and one which I am sure I'm not alone in wanting, would be mocked as complaining about not getting a pickle with a sandwich.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey I didn't post the story....and I don't even like pickles. Tiny flags are cool though!
Badge
Hey I didn't post the story....and I don't even like pickles. Tiny flags are cool though!

No argument there. I do like pickles though. I might even get a little downcast if I got home and found my pickle missing.
Might just be that offering "features" which produce no income, may even cost income by allowing people to forego a hardware purchase, definitely cost support man-hours, and were offered by a product line which is now defunct, is not the stellar business plan Sonos wishes to emulate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
actually Jamietre I'm with you on the headphone jack is needed side.

personally I don't think Sonos is that short sighted. If they removed the headphone jack .... to me that means #1 it was rather useless before but there way to at least add a headphone support #2 they must have another headphone option on the horizon to replace it.

So it could be good news with something new down the road to replace that functionality. Stand alone headphones? New Connect with headphone output (where it probably originally belonged if not the Play:1)?

** this is absolute speculation I have not a single clue as to upcoming Sonos hardware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Jamietre,

Sarcasm and witty notwithstanding, that is a cool suggestion we've heard here before, the suggestion is generally called "phone as a zone". There are a lot of technical questions behind using the headphone port on your mobile device for Sonos. Keep in mind that the way Sonos works today, your Sonos controller doesn't actually touch any of the audio going to your players. Controllers themselves just send basic commands such as "go play this" they don't actually send the audio. It would be a great idea though.

Thanks for suggestion though and I'll be passing on your interest over to our development team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I mean really people have been begging for actual Sonos Headphones .... not adding more headphone jacks to more speakers.

Sonos introduces the all new Sonos Play:H wireless headphones and this talk of Play:5 not having a headphone jack will be DEAD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Softclient = death of Sonos (as happened to Squeezebox)

oh yea - what jgatie said above!
Badge
@jgatie, I understand that, it's a business decision. But that doesn't mean it's a good one in the long run. Tthere's no such thing as an income-producing feature. SONOS makes money when they sell a speaker. People buy a SONOS speaker because it represents a good value to them. The value is the sum of all the features. It is no more an income-producing feature than Spotify support is. I would have bought a SONOS years ago, except for the 65K file limit and this problem. I finally switched when Subsonic started offering SONOS support which kind of kills 2 birds with one stone (the 65k limit and remote streaming) but it's still something else I gotta deal with and integration is less than ideal.

History: Slim Devices got bought out by Logitech for $20 million. They sold plenty of hardware that still sells for real money today. The product is no longer manufactured because Logitech wanted it to be gone. The fact that Squeezebox did so well, and continues to endure despite having no corporate support, is a pretty remarkable success story, actually.

The problem with Squeezebox is that it was not consumer-friendly, not that they made a product that didn't make money. It required a server and configuration was much more difficult than SONOS. It was not for the faint at heart. The fact that they did so well even given those constraints, and even "giving away" features like soft clients, should be worth thinking about. Maybe a soft client would translate into a few lost sales, if someone is determined to dedicate a phone and a bluetooth speaker instead of buying a real SONOS device, but I bet it would translate into a lot more new customers. You still need to buy at least one speaker, and there's nothing at all I can buy to play my SONOS outside my wireless network.
Badge
@Ryan S - thanks for the non-sarcastic feedback. "phone as zone" would be awesome. Coming from a squeezebox setup that I finally gave up on, my overall experience with SONOS is extremely good, but it's hard not to miss being able to install a client on my computer at work (or phone, whatever) and just start a play list. These days we get accustomed to the "wire walls" coming down. Having had that for so long and losing it is a difficult transition. Like I said i use subsonic + a bunch of clients to accomplish it, but it's not SONOS any more once I leave my house.
"The product is no longer manufactured because Logitech wanted it to be gone"? Well sure, they wanted it to be gone because they were losing money hand over fist, partially because it was hard to support, and partially because it was very geeky. But if you don't think a mixture of being geeky and the ability to duplicate hardware for 1/3 the price using a Raspberry Pi and Squeezesoft software didn't hasten it's demise, then you are quite naïve. Hell, the fact that it still lives on today, long after the hardware has ceased being sold, is a testament to the ability of the geeks to use the product without buying anything from Logitech. Not a very good feature set if you are looking to market a profitable brand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh my head is already beginning to throb thinking about my squeezebox. I should take it out of the drawer and stomp on it a few more times!!
Badge
"But if you don't think a mixture of being geeky and the ability to duplicate hardware for 1/3 the price using a Raspberry Pi and Squeezesoft software didn't hasten it's demise, then you are quite naïve.

The fact that years-old Squeezebox hardware sells on Ebay today for almost as much used as it did new, should tell you otherwise.

It died because it was a pain in the butt. It required a dedicated server, and required what always seemed like near-constant maintenance. It would just not work like once a week. That's why I gave up on it once I found a way to at least access my entire music library from SONOS.

But oh, when it worked, it was amazing, and the hardware was fantastic. Sure, some people will make their own with a raspberry pi, but this is like saying that every pirated copy of Windows is a lost sale. No, in fact, every rasberry pi (with no screen, no remote control) does not represent a lost sale. Quite the opposite, it's likely that the same person paid you for at least one other device, and would never have been a customer in in the first place without such a platform. The people who build clients out of Raspberry Pi's are not the customers to worry about. They should have worried about the customers who have no interest in doing that, or mucking with servers, and so on.
We will agree to disagree about what did or did not contribute to the demise of the long dead product line you are begging Sonos to emulate. This thread, which was specifically created to announce new hardware and features of Sonos, is going far off-topic (a pattern I've seen too many times before when major Sonos releases have been announced).
Badge
"This thread, which was specifically created to announce new hardware and features of Sonos, is going far off-topic (a pattern I've seen too many times before when major Sonos releases have been announced)"

This is just a technology problem, people want to go on tangents in discussions. Don't blame the customers, implement a feature to split threads

😉
Or maybe posters should start their own threads about which features are not being released, instead of complaining about them in a thread announcing what features are being released.
Badge
Whoosh...

Yeah, that would be great... but as you observed, they don't.

Since you can't actually train everyone to act the way you want them to, then maybe a better solution (if, in fact, this is really a problem) is to find a way to make the system be able to handle the workflow that people naturally use.

That's kind of my point in all this and why I had a smiley face. You shouldn't fight your customers. They want what they want, they are going to do what they do. If you have the best game in town anyway, you will probably be successful anyway, but if there's something your customers want, and you don't give it to them, eventually someone else will, and they will cease to be your customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually the Sonos Rep. Ryan was very respectful of your suggestion.

It's really the rest of us just being smarta*** while we wait for the new Play:5!

Thanks for participating jamietre ...we can be helpful at times too so please stick around!