Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

• 29 September 2015
  • 242 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

242 replies

The idea is it will sound more "accurate", ie more like what the engineer heard in the studio, whether people think that's "better" is entirely a matter of personal taste, a lot of people seem to find comfort in hugely overblown, flabby bass. I suspect those people will be disappointed.
For more on Trueplay effects see:
https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/play5-gen-2-review-and-true-play-6732683/index1.html#post15978583
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually it can make a big difference especially on he play:1. Yes it depends on your room and placement of speaker. If you have a room fairly good acoustically and speaker is placed in middle of room there may not be a lot of correction. I guess you will find out soon enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just to clarify :-

ii) if it does work with older units, do we have any idea (or even a vague plan) of when a mic solution for non-iOS users will be available?

No. We don't know even if Sonos will support it. You would have a couple of options. Buy a cheap IPhone (Best check which OS you need) and Install the Sonos app. Or, get a friend who has an IPhone or Ipad to pop round. Have them download and install the Sonos app and then tune your speakers. It only needs to be re-done if you move the speakers and takes maybe 2 minutes per speaker (or stereo pair)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
From everything I heard the microphones on android vary way to much between models and within models. For android to be implemented they will need a way to calibrate each microphone individually which I don't think is in the horizon anytime soon. Best borrow an iPhone as your wait may be very long.
[Buy a cheap IPhone (Best check which OS you need) and Install the Sonos app. Or, get a friend who has an IPhone or Ipad to pop round.

I bought an iPod Touch to control my Sonos, which Sonos now no longer support - so I'm hardly likely to buy any more Apple kit...
AFAIA, none of my friends own Apple kit - not if they've listened to me, any way :8

Never mind - I was just hoping that there'd be an easy way of improving the sound from my Play5...
From everything I heard the microphones on android vary way to much between models and within models. For android to be implemented they will need a way to calibrate each microphone individually which I don't think is in the horizon anytime soon. Best borrow an iPhone as your wait may be very long.

Surely most devices will accept a cheap plug in headphone/mic... isn't what they do with wired earpiece/mic combinations for phones? So Sonos could easily supply a cheap mic that would plug into any device - doesn't really matter about the quality, as long as their software sees it as a known profile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Amun - yes that should work.

Those who have pulled apart the new Play:5 say that there are 2 microphones in the new play:5. Curiousity is can new speakers at some point just calibrate themselves. That seems like where Sonos may go.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In my testing I found the Play:5 in a larger room to be somewhat better with trueplay but nothing major. The Play:1 it is night and day. Play:3 pretty noticeable.
Having standardised on 1 units where play units are concerned, this is good news that I hope to listen to later today.

I am not sure that software that reduces differences in sound quality between the lowest priced player and those above it was a design objective though!

Maybe the new 5 units will increase the gap again when the built in mikes are put to use in future.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Looking forward to this, thank goodness my friends and I with Sonos have Apple kit! Sonos setup already sound great, but better is always good! And for free! New 5's on order too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Trueplay software release, version 6.0 is now available. See more details on the release here.

Once you've setup Trueplay and done some testing we'd love to hear what you think here.
The second link is broken, Ryan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The second link is broken, Ryan.

Thanks, it should be fixed now.
i am considering buying the new Play5. Can you actually remove the little bumper to support the speakers vertically? i hope so, as they completely ruin the design.
I don't think they ruin the design at all... they are small enough to not even be noticed. But, poking at mine, they appear to be rubber and can be pulled out, but that will leave little holes I'm sure you won't be happy with either.
thank you for the quick answer!